HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:30 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Manila - Happy Independence Day!

To be very honest, the Philippines is not famous for its cities, but its wonderful beaches and underwater ecosystem. Nevertheless, there is enough in congested and chaotic Manila to explore and get your bearings before heading to the real tropical paradise.

Trying to find a restaurant with a view is also quite challenging!

With insufficient public transportation, workers resort to jeepneys braving traffic to get around.

On Saturdays, the Salcedo Market takes over a neighbourhood park and it seemed like a Western supermarket.

The Mall of Asia is a huge shopper's paradise in Pasay, facing Manila Bay. Facing the waterfront, a long promenade offers wonderful views of the sun setting over the bay.

Meanwhile, the inland areas seemed more dense with Makati in the distance.

No visit to the mall is complete without exploring the huge hypermarket. Ready-made meals are very cheap as well as other seafood canned goods.

Pasta sauce in a bag is lighter to carry and it seems to come in Filipino style.

Using bags to hold your everyday cooking needs is quite common here.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/manila.htm

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:16 PM

I went to Manila back in 2008 and I never really understood the horrible reputation it has. Granted, we stayed in Malate but the city didn't feel nearly as chaotic or overwhelming as I thought it would - in fact, I'd say Bangkok is way more claustrophobic.

That said, there wasn't a whole lot to do there and the highlight experiences were at the malls. You definitely felt more uneasy on the streets vs. other Asian megapolises but the people are generally super sweet and hospitable.

Good set, regardless. What did you think of it?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:47 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I went to Manila back in 2008 and I never really understood the horrible reputation it has. Granted, we stayed in Malate but the city didn't feel nearly as chaotic or overwhelming as I thought it would - in fact, I'd say Bangkok is way more claustrophobic.

That said, there wasn't a whole lot to do there and the highlight experiences were at the malls. You definitely felt more uneasy on the streets vs. other Asian megapolises but the people are generally super sweet and hospitable.

Good set, regardless. What did you think of it?
I'm not a big fan of the chaotic traffic, poor public transport, and relatively few attractions. But the people are very friendly and drivers won't run you down when you try to cross the street. Uber really helps as taxis are not recommended but I didn't feel my life was in danger while walking around the pollution-choked streets.

The malls are all full of globalized brands and prices weren't particularly cheap anyway.

I wouldn't recommend Manila for a stand-alone trip, but a quick stop before heading to more beautiful islands in the country.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:22 PM
It could be worse!

Mmm... Filipino food...

Great pics of Manila!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 5:09 PM
Hong Kong

Bonifacio Global City was once part of the American military base. Fort McKinley became the Philippine Army's headquarters after independence and has since been redeveloped into civilian use. Today, it is a new business district with wide sidewalks, modern skyscrapers, plenty of clean eateries and malls.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:54 AM

Thanks for sharing and all the word of photographing and uploading.

The Charge Nurse where I work has bought a retirement condo, on the 24th floor, of a building under construction there, who said it wouldn't be completed for a couple years.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 1:52 PM
Hong Kong

Intramuros is the Spanish citadel dating from the 16th century. The walls still surround it, but the interior is now a mix of slums, historic churches, and government buildings.

Fort Santiago was both a military structure and prison where revolutionary leader Jose Rizal was held and executed.

At the tip of the fort is the dirty Pasig River. There was so much garbage floating around!

The area has a mix of historic and modern buildings, and it is perfectly easy to walk from one attraction to another despite the 35C dry heat.

Manila Cathedral of today is a reconstruction from World War II, with its bronze door carved to depict the events causing its destruction.

San Agustin Church is the oldest church in the country and was the only building left standing after World War II. Recently restored, it is now an art museum while the worshipping area looks amazing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 8:49 AM
Hong Kong

Let's stop at the National Museum for some air-conditioned comfort!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 5:17 PM
Gatinois et fier

impressive city

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 3:40 AM
Hong Kong

Tagaytay and Lake Taal were part of a prehistoric volcano that is today a relaxed and cool escape from hot Manila. Just 60km to the south of the city and accessible on good highways, it is possible to enjoy comfortable a day trip here. For more adventurous travelers, take the boat and go hike Volcano Island. I chose to enjoy the scenery from the ridge instead.

The People's Park in the Sky looks a bit rugged and unfinished, which is becaue it was Marcos' unfinished summer home.

To save some money, you can take a jeepney up here.

To enjoy the views in a more personal setting, eat at one of the restaurants in town. I dined in one with a private hut perched above the ridge.

More of Manila on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/manila.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos