HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:32 PM
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
There's something happening at the corner of Kent and Somerset (NW corner) next to Budget Rent-a-car... fence up, some digging. Not sure if it's anything significant.
I think they're changing the gas tanks!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:35 PM
Mooderator

That's what I figured. Here I was hoping they were planning on bulldozing Budget. Dang.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 3:32 PM
R2-D2's army of death

In lighter news, who saw on the news this morning that Gatineau is planning an "Urban Village" in the suburban community of Le Plateau?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:38 PM
Busy Beaver

It's a concept bound to fail without a rapid transit plan to that area

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:00 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I don't even know where the community in question is.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I don't even know where the community in question is.

I believe that it is near the Staples etc, on the west side of Boul. St. Raymond and north of Boul de l'Outaouis...or maybe as far west as Chemin Vanier.....

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 12:09 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
I believe that it is near the Staples etc, on the west side of Boul. St. Raymond and north of Boul de l'Outaouis...or maybe as far west as Chemin Vanier.....
Yeah it is close to the Vanier Road/Des Allumettieres intersection. Already several homes have been built in the northeast quadrant of the area and there is a western section of Boul. Du Plateau right there which will connect to the eastern segment in a year or so. The village will be right around that area.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:34 PM
Mooderator

this amendment was added to the Brookfield proposal at Queen and Kent:

only one level of underground parking? that's weird.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:51 PM

So it's ONE 17-storey tower now?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:55 PM
Mooderator

Maybe it's just the first phase?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
this amendment was added to the Brookfield proposal at Queen and Kent:

only one level of underground parking? that's weird.
Unless this got deferred, the C of A have made a decision on this issue. I wish these notices were more descriptive as it would let the public know more about the actual variances being applied for rather than having people show up at the hearing who don't have all the facts.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:05 PM
Closed account

Does anyone know anything about this news release I stumbled upon? It seemed the government was interested in receiving RFIs for the development of 375000 sq ft office tower at 455 boulevard de la Carrière, and a 430000 sqft office tower somewhere in Hull. Any developments on that front?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:35 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Does anyone know anything about this news release I stumbled upon? It seemed the government was interested in receiving RFIs for the development of 375000 sq ft office tower at 455 boulevard de la Carrière, and a 430000 sqft office tower somewhere in Hull. Any developments on that front?
As far as I know, this is still happening.

I believe the parcel downtown is the location of the seedy orange motel and it's neighbouring parking lots.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 3:22 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:35 PM
Mooderator

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/OttawaAn...18008-sun.html

Quote:

CONDO TREND BUILDING IN CAPITAL

The city is experiencing an increase in the construction of new condominium apartments, latest figures show.

Sandra Perez Torres of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation said the increase is a direct consequence of the growth in Ottawa's employment sector.

"People have more confidence to buy a house when they know they have a steady income," said Torres.

The CMHC reports this year's new housing construction has increased by 54%, rising to 769 units in November 2007 from 501 units in the same month the previous year.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 6:52 PM
National Capital Region

330 Gilmour - LACAC
330 Gilmour - P&E (zoning bylaw amendment)

(original proposal still recommended for refusal, but it also recommends changes that can be made)
Quote:
The seniors’ complex proposed by the applicant would involve reuse of the 1922 heritage building and the removal of later building additions. The applicant’s nine-storey building proposal would have the upper two floors set back from the Gilmour Street and Lewis Street edges, and include a range of seniors’ accommodations. The applicant is requesting an amendment to allow a height limit of 27.5 meters, an FSI of 4.1 and removal of the Heritage Overlay provision.

The Department recommends refusal of the applicant’s requested rezoning. The proposed scale and massing of the applicant’s proposal is not considered to be appropriate for the site. The Department is of the view that the proposed nine-storey seniors development would not constitute compatible intensification and has not fully responded to the heritage context, site conditions and the surrounding environment; it is not supported by the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee (LACAC). The requested rezoning is not considered to uphold the overall intent of the Official Plan nor the Centretown Secondary Plan (CSP), and therefore is not recommended for approval.

The portion of the site occupied by the additions to the original 1922 OBE building is suited to residential development fostered by an R5 exception zone, and in keeping with the Residential Area - Medium Profile designation in the CSP. The current CG zoning, which allows for substantial office /commercial development on the property is considered to be inconsistent with the intent of OP and CSP policies. The recommended rezoning will establish a new R5 exception zone, with exception provisions including maximum height limit of 21.8 metres (seven storeys) for a building on the east side of the property, with the seventh storey required to be recessed back of the main façade, and allowing for limited commercial uses for the ground floor and basement of a residential use building. The exception would also allow the entire original building of 1922 to be used for commercial uses as now permitted under the CG zoning.

Serbian Orthodox Church proposed at Prince of Wales and Colonnade

école Cadieux redevelopment (low rise apartments and rowhomes)

Pauline Vanier Redevelopment

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 8:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Wow! Cadieux and Pauline-Vanier schools now being redeveloped. Seems like every time I turn around there’s a former francophone school in Ottawa being turned into condos or something. Before there was St-Charles on Springfield (Schoolhouse Square I think the condos are called) in New Edinburgh and St-Paul on Donald St. in Overbrook. There’s also Sacré-Coeur on Melrose near Parkdale Market in the west end, currently being billed as School House Lofts.

There are few more in Vanier as well I’m pretty sure, though I’ve lost count there are so many!

Funny thing is growing up I knew people who went to almost all of these schools! Speaks volumes about the evolution of Ottawa, I tell ya.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior;3220964
[URL="http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2007/12-18/ACS2007-PTE-APR-0194.htm"
330 Gilmour - P&E (zoning bylaw amendment)[/URL]

(original proposal still recommended for refusal, but it also recommends changes that can be made)
Re: 330 Gilmour...its not often these days that an application goes before Pl'g Committee with such a strongly worded recommendation for turning down the application by the Pl'g Dep't. As well, HRH Holmes isn't in favour of it, so the odds are even more stacked against it. Ashcrofts lawyers/architect/planner will have a fun time before PEC on this one. I haven't read the report in great detail but in reality does it or does it not tick off many of the boxes for new re-development in the core.?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 8:48 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
Re: 330 Gilmour...its not often these days that an application goes before Pl'g Committee with such a strongly worded recommendation for turning down the application by the Pl'g Dep't. As well, HRH Holmes isn't in favour of it, so the odds are even more stacked against it. Ashcrofts lawyers/architect/planner will have a fun time before PEC on this one. I haven't read the report in great detail but in reality does it or does it not tick off many of the boxes for new re-development in the core.?
The comments from Counc. Holmes are a bit funny, because rather than call this an apartment building or a seniors residence, it is referred to as a "proposed 9-storey slab"

definitely is a pretty good example of redevelopment, I guess they felt it was too high for that street
-enhances accommodation in the neighbourhood and provides seniors from across the city with the opportunity to live in a downtown environment close to services and amenities
-more options for elderly who want to stay in neighbourhood
-fits OP for land use and height, as well as general intensification
-but doesn't fit massing and contextual principles of intensification in the OP, not sensitive to heritage resources

-so staff recommend rezoning to a maximum 7 (top floor set back) storey residential building, based on especially the context of the homes on Lewis street, and also Gilmour (I have to disagree with that, because there are a bunch of larger buildings to the east and west IIRC, and a bunch along Gilmour is just parking lots)

One interesting note is that Ashcroft originally proposed a 20-storey building for this site (OP amendment... now withdrawn)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The comments from Counc. Holmes are a bit funny, because rather than call this an apartment building or a seniors residence, it is referred to as a "proposed 9-storey slab"

With Councillor Holmes intensification is a great idea but not in her beloved Centretown. She has a rather scornful way of killing projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa