HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:21 PM

Luc Bourdon Memorial

Luc Bourdon killed in motorcycle crash in New Brunswick
Photo courtesy Canucks/NHL

Thursday, May 29 - 11:20:27 AM Garry Raible

SHIPPIGAN, NEW BRUNSWICK - Vancouver Canucks defenceman Luc Bourdon has been killed in a motorcycle crash in northern New Brunswick. Bourdon's sister Eve Bourdon confirmed the death.

RCMP in Shippagan, N.B. say the driver of a motorcycle was killed at about 12:30 p.m. (Atlantic Time) today in crash near Shippagan. Bourdon, 21, was the first-round pick of the Canucks, 10th overall, in the 2005 NHL draft. He split time between the Canucks and their Manitoba farm team last season.

He was a member of the Canadian team that won gold at the 2007 world junior hockey championship. Bourdon was born in Shippagan.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:21 PM
sparky

Luc Bourdon Memorial

[Moved from Luc Bourdon Dead Thread to here]

Luc Bourdon of the Canucks killed in a motorcycle accident

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Last edited by deasine; May 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 8:05 PM

Just terrible....my thoughts and prayers go to his family, friends, and teammates.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 10:15 PM

Man poor guy...was by far the best prospect on the Canucks team and one the top prospects in the NHL....This really hurts the team.
And yes i do feel sorry for the family.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 11:41 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

What a shame, he had a ton of potential. He was going to be our next Jovo.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 11:46 PM

If the Canucks had gone into the playoffs, maybe this would never have happened.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 1:05 AM

^ You could say that about anything though. If he hadn't been riding his bike last night it wouldn't have happened.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 1:06 AM

Is there any news of how he exactly died? Of course, he crashed on his bike....but did someone hit him or did he lose control of his bike? Was there bad weather?

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 2:44 AM

As far as I know, he hit a tractor.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:42 AM

No he actually lost control of his bike and had a head on collision with a semi truck. Supposedly he died instantly. The photos of the accident are pretty devastating. What a terrible thing to have happened to such a great guy.

Word has it there will be a moment of silence before game 4 on sat night.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:49 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Is there any news of how he exactly died? Of course, he crashed on his bike....but did someone hit him or did he lose control of his bike? Was there bad weather?
Apparently, winds were 50 km/h+.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:51 AM

^ yea, frightening pictures. His bike was under the truck's wheels.

I can't believe he's dead, I've shaken his hand once while meeting him at the World Juniors in the city a few years ago. He's only 2 years older than me. Hell, I had the privilidge of being Team Canada's assistance...washing their clothes, games jerseys, watching them change, giving them food, keeping their supplies high, picking up their pucks after they practice on the ice....sigh.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 7:54 AM
A.H.-Ha!

Well looks like Linden's not alone when both #16 and #28 go up the rafters this Fall.

RIP Luc. Tragic news for the fans and the organization.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 8:52 AM

Why is everyone lamenting the loss and extolling the greatness of a 21 year old irresponsible millionaire? It was broad daylight and only he is responsible for his own death. Anyone at that age takes risks and thinks they are invincible, especially those athletes who are rewarded for braun instead of brains.

I mean come on people he was just a HOCKEY player. He didn't stop any wars or find a cure to cancer. And all I hear is how bad it is for the Canucks like we should be sorry for a greedy organization that overcharges it's customers and is swimming in money without providing any societal benefits.

Let's get a grip on reality people.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
Why is everyone lamenting the loss and extolling the greatness of a 21 year old irresponsible millionaire? It was broad daylight and only he is responsible for his own death. Anyone at that age takes risks and thinks they are invincible, especially those athletes who are rewarded for braun instead of brains.

I mean come on people he was just a HOCKEY player. He didn't stop any wars or find a cure to cancer. And all I hear is how bad it is for the Canucks like we should be sorry for a greedy organization that overcharges it's customers and is swimming in money without providing any societal benefits.

Let's get a grip on reality people.
Your a sad excuse for a human bein....No matter the circumstances on how he died, this is a tragity for this hockey city. I understand this happened by his own actions, but it does not mean we should not care. If the world was full of people like you it would be a scary place. Id appreciate if you did not post such negative comments on a memorial page. Thank you.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 4:33 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Why is everyone lamenting the loss and extolling the greatness of a 21 year old irresponsible millionaire?
Why? Because he had his whole life in front of him. Because he had a family who cared about him. Because as a community of hockey fans we followed his career.

I don't know if he made a mistake or not, but I think it's fair to say that most early-twentysomethings make mistakes. It doesn't take away from the tragedy.

My heart goes out to the guy, and his family.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:10 PM

This celebration of this person is absolutely ridiculous; he is a person just like anyone else. Perhaps if he were a premier or prime minister, then he would deserve some attention, but for a hockey player? cmon, he deserves just as much attention and publicity as the last person killed in a motor vehicle accident. Don't remember who that was? Right, cause they didn't get any publicity.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 1:03 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
This celebration of this person is absolutely ridiculous; he is a person just like anyone else. Perhaps if he were a premier or prime minister, then he would deserve some attention, but for a hockey player? cmon, he deserves just as much attention and publicity as the last person killed in a motor vehicle accident. Don't remember who that was? Right, cause they didn't get any publicity.
I don't particularly understand it: maybe because i'm not a huge sports fan. But here in North America: celebrities and athletes are much more celebrated than other people.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 1:41 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Why is everyone lamenting the loss and extolling the greatness of a 21 year old irresponsible millionaire?
Because he was a great hockey player with the potential to be one of our best defencemen.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 2:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Apparently, his mother pleaded him not to purchase that motorcycle. He refused: so he threw his own life away.

I want to know who hit who.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation