HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 10:48 PM

That area of town is going to look so different very soon...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 10:50 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
If the city was serious about TOD, they would change the parking requirements for TOD developments and set reasonable maximums for the number of reserved, tenant parking spaces. By making tenant parking a scarce commodity, the cost for a reserved spot will go up, discouraging those who don't plan on using transit from living there, and encouraging those who do.

Its a bit different for visitor and retail parking, but even then you want a sufficient but not excessive amount of parking. Optimally you want enough that people can find a spot most of the time without circling for hours, but not so much that the lot is usually mostly empty (a tough balance to predict). I am not sure what type of retail is planned, but it is unlikely to have seasonal rushes like malls do.
It's interesting reading the public comments as compared to Councillor Leiper's, as one of the main concerns raised by the public was that there was not enough parking. The original application requested a reduction to 159 spaces, but based on the final staff report it looks like the number of spots was increased to 245 through the development process and the zoning requirements were then met. The increase is also partly due to a slight increase in building size, 29 units were added, and 45% of the parking spaces will be undersized instead of the standard 40%.

Here is a link to the maximum parking limits near rapid transit stations in the zoning by-law. In this area it would be 1.75 per unit including visitor parking, and various rates for retail, office etc.

http://ottawa.ca/en/part-4-parking-q...ations-sec-103
http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc.../con024342.pdf
http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc...dule_2a_en.pdf
http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc...dule_2b_en.pdf

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
That area of town is going to look so different very soon...
One can only hope ...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Here is a link to the maximum parking limits near rapid transit stations in the zoning by-law. In this area it would be 1.75 per unit including visitor parking, and various rates for retail, office etc.

http://ottawa.ca/en/part-4-parking-q...ations-sec-103
http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc.../con024342.pdf
http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc...dule_2a_en.pdf
http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/doc...dule_2b_en.pdf
Holy crap that's insanely high for being right next to transit. I had no idea it was that high. The absolute absolute maximim should be no more than 1 per unit under any circumstances. Otherwise, why bother?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 10:28 PM

Of course, all of the more modern buildings are going up AWAY from the downtown. This doesn't look so bad overall, though the folks living in that part of the city will have their Pre-War houses dwarfed by structures such as this...especially if they are only a block or two away...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Colonnade Bridgeport files site plans for 24-storey tower on Westboro Trailhead property

By: OBJ staff
Published: Aug 25, 2017 3:58pm EDT

An Ottawa developer best known for its office and retail properties is moving ahead with its plans to build a mixed-use high-rise in a rapidly transforming corner of Westboro.

Colonnade Bridgeport, which manages a portfolio of 5.7 million square feet of commercial space, recently filed a site plan application for a 24-storey building at 1960 Scott St., at McRae Avenue and across from the Westboro Transitway station on Scott Street.

While that’s two floors higher than the 22-storey building that was discussed when the property was rezoned this spring, it still falls within the 74.5-metre height limit.

The planning rationale accompanying the site plan application contains several other details about the planned building, designed by Ottawa-based Roderick Lahey Architects. The ground floor will contain nearly 10,000 square feet of retail and commercial space. A podium extends from the second through sixth floor, with a narrower tower extending up the remainder of the building.

The residential units would consist of 143 one-bedroom and 103 two-bedroom rental units.

The tower would replace the iconic log-cabin style Trailhead Paddle Shack, which the site plan documents say is partially vacant.

Colonnade Bridgeport is also the developer behind the neighbouring Westboro Connection mixed-used office and residential property on McRae Avenue that’s home to Alterna Savings, IT consultant Pythian and a Farm Boy location.

Completed in 2015, Westboro Connection was billed as “the first phase of a major transformation along McRae Avenue” by Colonnade Bridgeport, which called the property “one of the largest underdeveloped sites in Westboro.”

Not everyone is happy with how the transformation is taking shape, however.

During the rezoning process this spring, the councillor for the area – Jeff Leiper – and six of his colleagues voted against raising the height limit above the previous six-floor limit. He specifically objected to what he perceived as ad-hoc intensification in absence of a broader plan.

Mayor Jim Watson, however, highlighted the property’s proximity to the existing Transitway stop, which will be converted to light-rail as part of the planned expansion in the coming years.

“If we’re not going to have density right across the street from a transit station, where are we going to have it?” the mayor was quoted as saying.

http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...lhead-property

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 7:46 PM

Yaaay, looks like every other condo tower in the city.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:48 PM

Looks like the Trailhead building will be coming down in January. I work in the building next door and we got this notice this morning.

Dear Tenants:
RE: NOTICE OF DEMOLITION: Redevelopment of 1960 Scott Street, Ottawa
Beginning in Spring 2018, Colonnade Bridgeport will begin the redevelopment of 1960 Scott Street (the former Trailhead Building) as the second phase of the Westboro Connection project. Phase II will feature commercial uses on the lower levels and residential rental units above. The existing building will be dismantled with the intent to repurpose materials in the new building and within the community. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.
We’re thrilled to bring another project that will provide further services, amenities and housing options to this neighbourhood – and one that will support the City of Ottawa’s infrastructure and long-term vision for growth by attracting more residents and professionals to within a few metres of the forthcoming light rail transit station.
With any development, you can expect some inconveniences, but it is our intent to keep them minimal and just as importantly, keep you updated on the activity. We’ve highlighted some of the key information below:
The Project Team: The contractor for this project is Morley Hoppner, with project management by Colonnade Bridgeport.
Milestones: As part of the redevelopment, the “Trailhead” building will be dismantled beginning in early January. It is our intent to repurpose the materials within the community. Further details will be released as they are finalized. Subsequently, excavation will begin and is expected to be completed by July 2018. Construction will then begin and is expected to be completed by December 2021.
Project Related Information:
• Noise – You may experience noise as a result of demolition, excavation and construction.
• Vibration – You may experience some vibration during the excavation period. The dates and times of blasting and excavation will be communicated in advance.
• All work will be scheduled in accordance with City of Ottawa Noise Bylaw No. 2017-255, which are between 7am to 8pm on weekdays.
Construction updates and information about site activities will be posted regularly. We encourage you to follow along by opting-in via this link: http://bit.ly/2i0DlTO
www.colonnadebridgeport.ca 16 Concourse Gate, Suite 200, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K2E 7S8
P. 613.225.8118 F. 613.225.3898 E. info@colonnadebridgeport.ca
If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact me directly at 613-225-8118 ext 430 or by email at sparnanzone@bridgeport.ca .
We appreciate your cooperation, support and hope you are as excited as we are to see the growth in your community!
Sincerely,
Colonnade BridgePort
Stefania Parnanzone, RPA
Property Manager

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:23 PM

Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:02 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Yaaay, looks like every other condo tower in the city.
Maybe it sort of resembles the art gallery condo/hotel, but I don't see the comparison to any other existing building in the city. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 9:39 PM

I agree; I think it's pretty unique for Ottawa.

I'm a fan.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I agree; I think it's pretty unique for Ottawa.

I'm a fan.
I guess I'm referring to the colour scheme and materials. To me, it looks like Claridge crap...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:14 AM

Fence went up around the site today

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I guess I'm referring to the colour scheme and materials. To me, it looks like Claridge crap...
Looks more like Arthaus to me

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baigle View Post
Milestones: As part of the redevelopment, the “Trailhead” building will be dismantled beginning in early January. It is our intent to repurpose the materials within the community. Further details will be released as they are finalized. Subsequently, excavation will begin and is expected to be completed by July 2018. Construction will then begin and is expected to be completed by December 2021.
Is it just me or does 4 years (well 3.5 not counting Trailhead demolition) seem a bit long to construct a "standard" 24 story building?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Is it just me or does 4 years (well 3.5 not counting Trailhead demolition) seem a bit long to construct a "standard" 24 story building?
My guess is they aren't in a rush, as being close to an LRT station will help them boost the rental rates. Once they are set it is hard to raise them. As it stands they will be complete in 2022 and Stage 2 West will be well underway, so it will be easier to tout the benefits (they could potentially offer a temporary "promotional discount" until the LRT station is open).

They could just wait, but they are probably in a rush to get rid of the old building as it is likely a liability. They may also want to get started with construction for fear that a new counsel could change their zoning (harder to do once construction has begun).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:04 PM

I guess that sort of makes sense... although it's not that difficult to raise rents... Existing tenants are "locked in" to inflation limited increases, but when a unit is being rented out, rent can be set to whatever the market will bear. With 246 rental units, I would expect a fairly regular turnover.

In reality, they could probably build this in 18 months (??) if they really tried.. so they are adding 2 years worth of carrying costs... but I'm sure smarter minds than me have crunched the numbers

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:20 PM
Busy Beaver

It might have been stated that way in the notice to tenants to give themselves leeway for any construction issues, but in the Colonnade Bridgeport website it says 2020.

Quote:
The development at 1960 Scott Street Ottawa, phase II of Westboro Connection, is designed to complement the existing community while enhancing the lifestyle of all who live, work, shop and play there. Planned for completion in 2020, it will offer residential and commercial space in the heart of Westboro.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:26 PM

Old trailhead building came down today. There're obviously not reusing (if anything) much of the structure.

https://imgur.com/a/nBIIQ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa