HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:18 AM

Los Angeles County
District Attorney
Bureau of Investigation
January 1977

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1977-LO...8AAOSwR5dXRE0T (you can see close-ups of some of the people with this link)

asking $75

__

update: I just found 1968 too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1968-LO...kAAOSwfY9XQbZB

asking $75

__

detail with sign.

and this one includes the names of everyone.

1968 names

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 24, 2017 at 7:37 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:21 AM

We have seen (and discussed) roofs with the 'artsy'wooden shingles on NLA, but I don't believe we have seen this fine example.

PINKERTON HOUSE
5847 (609 N.) Bright Avenue, Whittier, Calif.
[Built 1928]

http://digi.cityofwhittier.org/awweb...&smd=1&awdid=2

It's still standing. (but I can't see the garage)

gsv

note the passageway 'through' the house (porte cochere?) has been blocked off.

The roof appears to be intact. (from what I can see of it)

gsv

There is additional information on the form below.

https://www.laconservancy.org/sites/...%2C%202013.pdf

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 24, 2017 at 7:39 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:51 AM

Google allows you to "drive" down the alley. By doing that, you can see the garage and decorative roof are still intact.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:30 PM

There are several houses of that style still standing in Glendale too. My stepfather built some of them.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Zillow offers this info FWIW:

"Great family home built in Hollywood in 1910 and moved to its present location in 1920. This 5/2 Craftsman in Echo Park/Hi-Fi area retains many original features and is just awaiting your restoration imagination. During the Jazz Age, it is said that Count Basie, Josephine Baker and other [luminaries] in the arts movement were regular guests of the original owners.[/B] Although the walls cannot talk, they do boast incredible wainscotting with high plate rails, beautiful leaded glass built-ins in the formal dining room and library, immense stone gas fireplace, as well as window seats and built in bureaus in the bedroom closets. Additional original features include stairwell ball finial, original wood floors, coffered ceilings and pocket doors, some light fixtures and heating registers. Plumbing and electrical are all updated and in good working condition. Nice sized kitchen and master bath are ready for you to re-design to your liking. Large basement bonus room perfect for art or music studio offers plenty of additional storage. Rapidly developing neighborhood with great investment potential. Walk to Echo Park, Lassens, shops and restaurants. High on a hill, this house has wonderful views of Los Angeles and Hollywood, breathtaking sunset views from the spacious front porch and 2nd story balconies! Lofty attic can be finished into a third floor living space."

One of the few times I've heard of a house moving east, but the owner lived across the street, then at No. 203, so I'm sure he had his reasons.

Last sold in 2002 for $275K per Redfin.

New foundations were put in in 1925, so that's more likely the move year.

Interior pix at the link

Thanks for digging a little deeper. I saw the 1925-new construction permit and the owner's listing across the street. Presumably, he wanted to take advantage of the elevation for an even better view. Wondered how the home was moved to its present "higher" location without an elaborate scheme of piers and a substantial crane or cranes. Or, whether the structure was moved in pieces via the rear access.

Was it said "During the Jazz Age" that luminaries visited the home? If I remember correctly, the JA was predominantly in the '20s, so maybe a Piano was carried up the front steps. But more importantly, what (allegedly) drew these Jazz-Age icons to this location? Wainscotting? Or, what is the basis for this statement? (It can also be said that George Washington slept there too, to escape the cold in Valley Forge and for the fishing.)

I don't think Josephine Baker had much of an association with LA, as was the case with Paris and NY. Per my limited knowledge, JB spent the second half of the '20s in Europe and did not return to the US (NY) until 1936, post Jazz Age. In 1974, JB performed in Los Angeles as part of a US tour. She promoted the tour with appearances on the Tonight Show and Merv Griffin's Show, some of which were probably taped in LA. Curiously, there are several 1951-images of JB outside of a prosecutor's office. The captions mention "assault" and there is a suggestion that an assailant received a 45 year sentence, but particulars are unknown. I seem to recall Basie's name on the Ambassador's marquee and of course, he made the rounds at the Palladium and other LA Venues.

http://www.parsec-santa.com/celebrit...rJosephine.jpg

1944 at an "unknown" LA nightclub. Actor Rex Ingram and Count Basie standing.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics11/00025239.jpg

The '46 San Pedro CD has a listing for Thomas Thurman (and Ernestine)(542 Sepulveda). There are later listings too, for other locations. Unknown whether this is the same or different home mover/ potential Jazz Age bon vivant.

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

I don't think Josephine Baker had much of an association with LA, as was the case with Paris and NY..... I seem to recall Basie's name on the Ambassador's marquee and of course he made the rounds at the Palladium and other LA Venues.

The '46 San Pedro CD has a listing for Thomas Thurman (and Ernestine)(542 Sepulveda). There are later listings too, for other locations. Unknown whether this is the same or different home mover/ potential Jazz Age bon vivant.
I'm mystified. The real estate sites offer these romantic stories about properties, but never cite sources. Zillow did say, "During the Jazz Age, it is said that Count Basie, Josephine Baker and other [luminaries] in the arts movement were regular guests of the original owners.", so presumably this was pre-1925 when the home was at a Hollywood address (if any of this is even remotely true - Ms Baker was just 19 in 1925, the year she went to Paris. Count Basie was 21). Maybe the pair were guests of the "original owners" in later years, at another address (?)

Last edited by tovangar2; May 24, 2017 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:00 PM

It was only a few days ago that I posted Julius Shulman pictures of the fountain at Robinson's in Beverly Hills. Here are a couple of photos of the interior. This is "Job 1304: Pereira & Luckman, Robinson's (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1952".

I'm trying to work out which department this shows. Are those greetings cards on the left? Why the three chairs next to them? There appears to be a fancy chess/checkers board on the right of the central counter.

I originally thought that there was a member of staff trying to blend into the background in the center of this detail view, but now I'm thinking that it's just a mannequin. The arm is in a similar pose to the one just visible on the left of the image above.

Both from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:53 PM

The chairs are maybe for the convenience of customers who are perusing catalogues of sample invitations and announcements which could be ordered with custom printing. Just a guess.

ETA, Actually I was wondering about the throw pillows (?) heaped around a decorative birdhouse in the Boys Shop. Just seems odd:

(detail, as above)

Also seems odd that drinking fountains are featured so prominently in the images.

Last edited by tovangar2; May 24, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 8:33 PM

Thanks for your thoughts (and additional question ), t2.

------------------

Here's another Shorpy image, and this one doesn't need to be colored. It's a 1956 look at Pantorium Cleaners.

Mrs. Dodge, last seen at Bob's Big Boy, now at the Pantorium, next door to Transfer of the Sierra Madre.

www.shorpy.com

The comments identify the location as the corner of Sierra Madre Boulevard and S Lima Street. The building and Pantorium Cleaners are still there!

GSV

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 9:41 PM

'Pantorium', what a great name for a cleaners!

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
This brings me to the following Shorpy photo, said to be from August '63. I thought I had seen it on NLA, but today my memory and search skills are blunted. Notice the overhead street light. Notice the five horizontal red "dots"? Are they reflectors or lights? Do they serve a specific function, other than being decorative and to splash more color on the canvas?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f0f317100f.jpg
Speaking of which, I just found out there's a city-owned Streetlight Museum which has one of the star-studded "bathtub" heads (did anyone else know of this place?):

"5. Streetlight Museum, Downtown L.A.

L.A. has kind of a love affair with streetlights. Maybe it started relatively recently, like when LACMA installed its "Urban Light" art installation, which was supposed to be temporary but became so popular that it still stands out front today, facing Wilshire Boulevard. But based on our streetlight designs that date back to the early days of electricity, it appears that our fascination with design in light started long before that. And now, there’s a museum for us streetlight people — on the second floor of the Public Works building, courtesy of the Bureau of Street Lighting. Surrounded by Bureau of Sanitation workers, there's a tiny room that chronicles the history of how L.A. has lit its streets since the early 1900s. This breathtakingly beautiful collection is only open to the public once a month, only by appointment, for only 30 minutes. If you hadn’t noticed already, on your visit you’ll learn that L.A. has had an amazingly wide variety of streetlight styles — and actually still does, among its 200,000 lights standing today. Each of the 400 styles have come to define certain areas — and, in some cases, certain streets — like the "5 Globe Llewellyn" of Downtown L.A., circa 1900. Most of them aren't just utilitarian "lights," but bona fide lanterns, lighting the way for wayward L.A. souls, beckoning them across certain bridges, into certain neighborhoods and onto certain streets. These fixtures don't just illuminate the streets below them. They draw the eyes upwards, past their concrete electroliers, to gaze directly at their textured glass globes and occasionally intricate metalwork."

It doesn't sound (or look) as though they have entire electroliers displayed (it is after all just a room), but it's something:

kcet

....................................................................................

Thank you for demystifying the Wills home Flyingwedge. I never knew intact Ft Moore Hill IRL obviously, but have always been fascinated by by its windswept heights, the platform for so many of our early photos. I'm not quite sure if the ca 1882 photo below shows the Wills residence future site, as I'm a little confused about its placement in relationship to the Banning place from this angle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
This is the same house? I was kind of stupidly thrilled to see ice plant in their dirt yard:

lapl

Last edited by tovangar2; May 25, 2017 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT61 View Post
Google allows you to "drive" down the alley. By doing that, you can see the garage and decorative roof are still intact.
You're absolutely correct DCT611. The garage is there. Thanks for the 'heads up' on the alley view.

gsv

Here's the front view of the garage again.

(the large 'balls' at the end of the eaves are pretty amazing) -I just noticed they're even on the garage.
detail

the 'ball' is missing on the gsv alley view of the garage.

see the whole photograph here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=42063

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 24, 2017 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:36 AM

I believe this snapshot is new to NLA. It's from 'Vintage Los Angeles' facebook page.

"Hollywood and Whitley, 1986"

Dario Witer https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosAngeles/

'Reflections' sounds like a singles bar.

and in 2012.

Danny Zale at https://sites.google.com/site/hollyw...2-west-to-east

designed by H. L. Gogerty and Carl Jules Weyl [1927]

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 25, 2017 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:44 AM

And I believe this is new to NLA as well.

"One of Los Angeles' first Freeways, 1953" by Werner Bischof

magnumphotos

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:38 AM

"Old Los Angeles World Center"

Was anyone aware of this project proposal from the 1940s.

http://cdn.calisphere.org/data/13030...p0zh-FID15.jpg

here's the front and back page. ("less than one hundred years ago....in 1847")

I imagine the war intervened and the project was shelved.
__

update:

Just for fun, here's a comparison of today and the 1940s plan.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 25, 2017 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

"Hollywood and Whitley, 1986"

Dario Witer https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosAngeles/
The date is more likely 1984, given all of the '84 Olympics banners.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:51 AM

I should have noticed that Tourmaline.

At the time everyone was extremely worried about traffic gridlock during the Olympics
and when it finally arrived the streets were nearly empty.

Does anyone else have that memory....or did I dream that up?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 25, 2017 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I should have noticed that Tourmaline.

At the time everyone was extremely worried about traffic gridlock during the Olympics
and when it finally arrived the streets were nearly empty.

Yes, I do recall the streets were empty. My friend George and I drove all over for a photo shoot. All went well ...until the cops arrived.....

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Was anyone aware of this project proposal from the 1940s.

This is remarkable! I wonder which old buildings were to be "restored without losing any of their Spanish character" in the process? (Spanish!).
Be interesting to know the details of the proposal, and who was behind it.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:

No, you didn't dream it up. LOL, another bunch of hysteria that fizzled.
.................................................................................

And that "Old Los Angeles" thing was bizarre. It looks like it's levitating. And no Lugo House.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos