HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Also, the fact that when the Twins were being built, not that much concrete was used except for the floors and maybe some at the bottom and their foundations.

The entire infrastructure columns, beams and girders, the entire core, as well as the floors themselves, will get concrete - possibly explaining why the infrastructure is taking a while to complete.

I believe, like the Twins, the very heaviest steel will be used for the infrastructure, and as the tower grows taller, lightweight but stronger allloy steel will be used, as in the case of 7 WTC.

Last edited by Daquan13; Mar 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 11:45 PM

can someone in NY plz take some pictures for this thread???

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:48 PM

More steel has arrived to the site on friday and I think there is one installed already. Maybe we should see steel on the north wall?

(earthcam.com)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 6:32 PM
BANNED

You're right, doesn't appear to be any steel columns standing against that back wall.

Note Vesey Street, how tangled up it is. Boy! What a mess!! Guess it will be used as a "storage spot" for the steel when it's delivered to the constr. site. We should see some girders start being applied between the beams and the core soon.

Last edited by Daquan13; Mar 16, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 9:40 PM
World Machine

[QUOTE=Daquan13;Note Vesey Street, how tangled up it is. What a mess!! Guess it will be used as a "storage spot" for the steel when it's delivered to the constr. site.[/QUOTE]

Correct, that's really all it is. There's a small path that is dedicated for people to cross the 'North Bridge', but other than that, strictly prep and storage.

I haven't been down there in the last couple days, and won't be for the next week being that I'm on Spring Break. I plan on making it my first stop though when I return.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 10:29 PM
BANNED

I'm seriously thinking about flying to LGA on a cheap round trip airfare this spring when the weather is warm and ride the subway to Ground Zero.

I'll spend the day there and take some pics while I'm there. I still have yet to see 7 WTC in person. Last time I was there was when the concrete base was being built.

Oh yes, I know where that little path is now! I used it the three times that I was there. It's under the front of the Verizon building. Right under that arch-shaped doorway at the corner. I just thought of it!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:57 AM
World Machine

^^^^^ You really should just take a day trip and check out the progress. It's well worth it, not only for the Trade Center but also just to walk around Downtown. Hell, you can even do an overnighter at the Millenium Hilton and get a room facing it.

It's good sometimes (if your able to do it) to see the city in person rather then in pictures. That's why I always never take for granted where I am and get out everyday to embrace it.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
^^^^^ You really should just take a day trip and check out the progress. It's well worth it, not only for the Trade Center but also just to walk around Downtown. Hell, you can even do an overnighter at the Millenium Hilton and get a room facing it.

It's good sometimes (if your able to do it) to see the city in person rather then in pictures. That's why I always never take for granted where I am and get out everyday to embrace it.
The promenade around Battery Park City to Battery Park was a nice place to take in the views of lower Manhattan, as well as Jersey City (which has a surprisingly nice skyline) and the Statue of Liberty. A nice place to walk to after visiting the WTC site. There's a skyscraper museum in that area. Then, of course, there's Wall Street if you want to see where all your money is going, and there's some sort of shopping area with a kind of a "seaport" theme (can't remember the name of it). Lots to see and do in lower Manhattan. NYC isn't just Midtown (for visitors, I mean).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Can't do too much walking because I have a heart condition. I must take it slow.

My intention was also to visit the ESB as well. Never been there.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03172008...pit_102338.htm

RISING FROM THE PIT
WTC'S '1ST SPROUT'

A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL - Digital renderings show the progress planned for the World Trade Center site, including the Freedom Tower breaking street level this year.

By TOM TOPOUSIS
March 17, 2008

The reborn World Trade Center will begin rising above street level this spring - when the Freedom Tower's steel frame emerges from its 80-foot-deep construction pit, officials say.

The tower itself is now just 10 feet from street level, Port Authority Executive Director Anthony Shorris said.

"We expect it to reach past street level in a few months," he said.

Shorris and Ground Zero developer Larry Silverstein, who is building three office towers at the site, said virtually every project at the World Trade Center is now under construction after years of cleanup, design and site preparation.

A time-lapse rendering of the 16-acre site prepared by the Port Authority shows the project coming together over the next five years like a massive jigsaw puzzle, with more than 10,000 construction workers assembling the pieces.

By the end of this year, the Freedom Tower's steel will be racing skyward, while a steel base for the memorial is being set in place. And foundations for Silverstein's three towers and the Santiago Calatrava-designed transit hub will be under construction.

By the end of 2010, the Freedom Tower and Silverstein's Towers 2 and 3 will reach rooftop level, and the memorial plaza will be complete and ready for the planting of more than 400 trees.

Silverstein's Tower 2, the second tallest at the site, will have topped out by the end of 2011.

"By the end of 2012, as they say, it'll all be over but the shouting," Shorris said at a New York Building Congress luncheon last week.

"What is falling into place is a construction-coordination machine of truly unprecedented complexity."

The four towers inside the perimeter of the original World Trade Center site will include 141,000 tons of steel and 593,000 cubic yards of concrete.

A fifth tower is planned a block away on the site of the former Deutsche Bank building. That tower is slated to be complete by the end of 2012.

Just to clear sites for Silverstein's three towers, the Port Authority excavated and hauled out enough dirt and rock to fill Giants Stadium.

Silverstein, who acknowledged that "things haven't always gone as smoothly or as swiftly as everyone - including me - had hoped," predicted that the final outcome in five years will create a new economic engine in lower Manhattan.

But Silverstein said the proof of progress for New Yorkers made skeptical by delays and missed deadlines will be the visible construction now shaping up.

"There has not been this much going on at the site since the cleanup concluded close to six years ago," he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Great job, NYguy!!

I'm so glad that the officials have devised a plan to have ALL of the towers going at the same time.

So that the whole area in u/c at once, and not stretched out for decades!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 4:28 PM
Landmark Restored

Next year is when things start to really get exciting. Great visuals, I can picture it now, however they should have also included 99 Church Street in the visuals.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 9:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
The promenade around Battery Park City to Battery Park was a nice place to take in the views of lower Manhattan, as well as Jersey City (which has a surprisingly nice skyline) and the Statue of Liberty. A nice place to walk to after visiting the WTC site. There's a skyscraper museum in that area. Then, of course, there's Wall Street if you want to see where all your money is going, and there's some sort of shopping area with a kind of a "seaport" theme (can't remember the name of it). Lots to see and do in lower Manhattan. NYC isn't just Midtown (for visitors, I mean).
That's the "South Street Seaport". Shaperimage (too bad there bankrupt) is there so is Brookstone. Both are gadget stores .

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:01 PM

Could you make those images larger please.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:45 PM
Up Up and Away

Those images are pretty cool.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:02 AM
I love boxes.

Yeah, make those images bigger, NYguy.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 5:29 AM

New pics @ wtcrising.com

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:48 AM

Nice.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 7:04 AM
BANNED

But what in the world is that contraption in the 2nd pic?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive