HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:49 PM

Comcast tower forms raising up! Onto the next core floor we go!

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:16 PM
Philly Rising Up!

I wonder if the crane attached to the core will be jumped anymore or if they can add more sections to increase its height at its current lateral bracing/support. I ask because the shape of the core at its current height has narrowed and it doesn't look like the lateral supports/bracing for the crane can moved any higher.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I wonder if the crane attached to the core will be jumped anymore or if they can add more sections to increase its height at its current lateral bracing/support. I ask because the shape of the core at its current height has narrowed and it doesn't look like the lateral supports/bracing for the crane can moved any higher.
it depends. Are those wings included in the rest of the core? If not you'll be able to get another brace of that fashion on there. That said I would think they'd be able to fit a brace in there that could fit the space in between the wings.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt8750 View Post
it depends. Are those wings included in the rest of the core? If not you'll be able to get another brace of that fashion on there. That said I would think they'd be able to fit a brace in there that could fit the space in between the wings.
Good point. I don't have a construction background and that's why these things interest me.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:57 PM

So I'm thinking that the core should rise every 4 days now? I know they have to let it dry and cure a little before they raise.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
So I'm thinking that the core should rise every 4 days now? I know they have to let it dry and cure a little before they raise.
Well they can't let it fully cure without planting the rebar rods for the next floor.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:59 PM

I've always assumed that a big part behind the poured concrete core concept was to provide structural and fire proof walls for the elevators and the fire escapes. Plus maybe it also provides a place for horiz. elements to attach. But in this building those the elevators and fire stairs serving the office floors don't extent upwards beyond the office floors.

In the floor plans of the hotel rooms one can see where these poured walls are, but the rooms are just built around them, they are just another wall.

And from what I can tell, which isn't much, the poured core doesn't extend up through the hotel lobby which is near the top of the structure. Which means the core isn't going to supporting cooling units or other equipment on the roof.

So, can any one tell me why they would bother having these concrete walls running up through the floors that contain the hotel rooms? I can't understand what the concrete walls would be doing that steel columns/posts and bracing couldn't do but without so much time, expense and space. (if concrete was cheaper it would be used everyplace, not just the core)

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:50 AM

Sorry City Wide - I cant answer your questions. But I do have pics!

A lot of work on the tunnel to connect the Suburban Station/Comcast Center concourse to CITC is going on - 18th Street has been blocked a lot the past week or so,

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I've always assumed that a big part behind the poured concrete core concept was to provide structural and fire proof walls for the elevators and the fire escapes. Plus maybe it also provides a place for horiz. elements to attach. But in this building those the elevators and fire stairs serving the office floors don't extent upwards beyond the office floors.

In the floor plans of the hotel rooms one can see where these poured walls are, but the rooms are just built around them, they are just another wall.

And from what I can tell, which isn't much, the poured core doesn't extend up through the hotel lobby which is near the top of the structure. Which means the core isn't going to supporting cooling units or other equipment on the roof.

So, can any one tell me why they would bother having these concrete walls running up through the floors that contain the hotel rooms? I can't understand what the concrete walls would be doing that steel columns/posts and bracing couldn't do but without so much time, expense and space. (if concrete was cheaper it would be used everyplace, not just the core)
Despite the one drawing, which was over two years ago, I would think that building codes would mandate fire escapes that the core would cover, at least up through some level of the hotel. The core probably also provides conduit paths for mechanicals such as water pipes, electrical, etc.; perhaps even a maintenance elevator. Not sure where the pool is going to be situated on the floor with spa, gym and pool, but maybe it helps support all that water weight.

Hey, only about 7-8 more core floors to go! (5 hotel, 1 spa/gym/, 1 mechanical, and maybe the restaurant)

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw04 View Post
Despite the one drawing, which was over two years ago, I would think that building codes would mandate fire escapes that the core would cover, at least up through some level of the hotel. The core probably also provides conduit paths for mechanicals such as water pipes, electrical, etc.; perhaps even a maintenance elevator.
strictly speaking, the building code does not require that the fire egress stairs be located in the core. They require a certain number of egresses based on the number of people on each floor, and that the exits be separated by a certain minimum distance from each other, and a maximum distance from the most remote occupant. They must also be fire rated, obviously. From a planning standpoint, it is just easier in most cases to locate the stairs in the core, because all of those things can be achieved at once by putting them there. and as you mentioned, the other verticals required in the building are also there, so it's just more economical to put them in the same place.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:24 PM

Is it me, the camera, or the width of the building but it just doesn't look very tall. I remember when Comcast center was going it, the core looked very tall, this one, I know it's tall, but just doesn't seem that tall looking at it.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-v6 View Post
Is it me, the camera, or the width of the building but it just doesn't look very tall. I remember when Comcast center was going it, the core looked very tall, this one, I know it's tall, but just doesn't seem that tall looking at it.
In the above pictures that don't show the entire core, even? It will look plenty tall once topped out and the smokestack is added.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-v6 View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the missing 3".

But who cares how tall this monster actually is or isn't. It looks like its going to be one very impressive mother.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 9:49 PM

Sometimes it doesn't "look" tall to me either, but it isn't remotely near completion. While we are GUESSING at where the core is, we KNOW how tall it will be in the end.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 2:39 PM

From last night. The steel structure looks impressive at night all lit up like this:

20160525_214626 by , on Flickr

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:41 PM

from todays NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/ny...=68573617&_r=0

Buildings built with a concrete core are a new thing in NYC. This times article claims that concrete is cheaper then steel. I continue to wonder why the core is going thru the hotel floors. By the way, the service elevator is not even in the core. Its back in the SW corner and serves all floors. And the elevators for the hotel are hung on the outside of the building.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 11:40 PM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly/

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:15 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
^Nice
I had a chance to drop by today. My friend left his keys(badge) home. So I just snapped a quick photo.
Looks like the glass is about where it was when TCO took photos, but what the hay, here it is:

Last edited by mmikeyphilly; May 31, 2016 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 11:27 PM

delete (duplicate)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture