HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:24 AM

This isn't directly Amazon HQ2 related, but it gives some insight as to what companies' decision makers are thinking when they expand tech operations in ATX.

Walmart gets creative with new tech design center in downtown Austin:
http://www.512tech.com/technology/wa...tUQeIjhZEt0RI/

Quote:
The decision to invest in Austin is part of a strategy to recruit skilled tech workers by locating where they are, said Jason Norris, Walmart director of engineering and Austin site lead.

“At Walmart we are really changing the way we work in a lot of ways,” Norris said. “Austin is a really unique city in that you have a very deep pool of that talent, but you don’t incur some of those higher costs of living that you do on the West Coast and East Coast,” Norris said.
Quote:
“Austin has many characteristics that make it appealing to major corporations looking for deep technical talent,” Austin-based industry analyst Patrick Moorhead said. “Technologists like to live in Austin because it’s “happening” with music, festivals and downtown life as well as being affordable. Employers like it because technologists like it, it’s much less expensive than other tech hubs in New York and Silicon Valley and there is a large pool of talent.”

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:45 AM
I'm here for no one.

Amazon also announced several hundred layoffs on Monday at their Seattle HQ.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:33 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
This isn't directly Amazon HQ2 related, but it gives some insight as to what companies' decision makers are thinking when they expand tech operations in ATX.

Walmart gets creative with new tech design center in downtown Austin:
http://www.512tech.com/technology/wa...tUQeIjhZEt0RI/
Yea they took what was a club to make their offices. Just a reminder that we need to do a better job at keeping our DT entertainment venues thriving since they claim that very reason for why they want to come here. Well maybe build your offices in an actual office building...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Yea they took what was a club to make their offices. Just a reminder that we need to do a better job at keeping our DT entertainment venues thriving since they claim that very reason for why they want to come here. Well maybe build your offices in an actual office building...
To be fair, that space was never successful as a club. It probably went through 10 different clubs after the drafthouse closed. I understand lamenting the loss of a club space, but in this case, I'm not that upset. I used to frequent that space when it was V and it was not that good of a club space anyway.

Last edited by Sigaven; Feb 13, 2018 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Office space is extremely limited in Austin.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Well, it is a rather large space for a bar/club. With a high price per sq ft, it may be difficult to make that work. I always thought it was better suited for some sort of music/movie/theater/entertainment venue.

The new Parker Jazz Club may have done well there. It's already a tough place to get a seat.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:25 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Well, it is a rather large space for a bar/club. With a high price per sq ft, it may be difficult to make that work. I always thought it was better suited for some sort of music/movie/theater/entertainment venue.

The new Parker Jazz Club may have done well there. It's already a tough place to get a seat.
Yea I really want to check Parked Jazz Club out. From what I've heard it's really nice.

The main problem with the space that Wal-Mart took over wasn't the space itself, but rather how It was operated. As someone who has been a regular bar and club goer since the late 90s, meeting bar/club managers and owners, watching clubs come and go over the years, you get to learn quite a bit about the industry works in this city. I know what works and what doesn't just by walking into a place, see how it's layed out, how they promote, the events they hold and how consistent their schedule is. You have to be competitive in this city or you won't last long. I've frequently thought about if I ever had the kind of money and resources needed, that It would be a life adventure to say the least in opening up a club DT. We really do need to preserve that element of DT because it was what made Austin what it is today.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 7:22 PM

Interesting post on the “campus-ification” of tech real estate in select downtowns around the country. Puts HQ2’s square footage requirement into some better context.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/02...campus/553379/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 9:29 PM
<----Virtual Planetoid

Renderings revealed for Baltimore's proposal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...baltimore.html
Quote:
Take a look at the Amazon HQ2 proposal Baltimore pitched

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 10:46 PM
I'm here for no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Renderings revealed for Baltimore's proposal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...baltimore.html
That was pretty good. But feel good promo videos appeal much more to boosters than those making business decisions. Baltimore's reputation is going to take a long time to fix, and that needs to happen before it becomes a place where its easy to recruit people.

Old Posted Today, 7:24 PM
<----Virtual Planetoid

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...-pitch-dc.html
Quote:
Here's what a suburban D.C. county pitched for Amazon HQ2 — and why it lost

By Katie Arcieri – Staff Reporter, Washington Business Journal
4 hours ago

Weeks after being shut out of Amazon's short list of contenders for HQ2, Prince George's County, Maryland, has learned why it did not make the cut: The county doesn't have a large enough pool of senior-level software engineers.

"They saw deeper concentrations of software development engineers in other areas," said David Iannucci, a top economic development official for Prince George's who spoke with Amazon, along with other county officials, on a phone call. "They literally told us there was nothing we could have done differently in the RFP to change the outcome."

Old Posted Today, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Can any tech folks in here comment on how we compare? Who the rivals might be in this regard? I assume we have enough, being in the running still, just am out of that loop..

Old Posted Today, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
Can any tech folks in here comment on how we compare? Who the rivals might be in this regard? I assume we have enough, being in the running still, just am out of that loop..
If it's about the number of tech workers in a given metro, Austin arguably in the Top 3 in that regard, probably #1 among the top 20 if you look at per capita vs sheer gross numbers.

Other cities with a heavy tech influence:
Denver (similar in look/feel to Austin. Denver proper isn't quite as tech heavy, but places like Boulder and Ft Collins are flush with them)
Atlanta (relative newcomer to the tech game, but potential powerhouse)
Raleigh (also a relative newcomer)
NY/Chicago (Only in this list just because of the ginormous population, so obviously they'll have more software folks by default)

Potential dark horse:
Indianapolis (super duper underdog, but one of the pillar homes of Salesforce and a newly displaced workforce from Angie's List. Proximity to Purdue, a huge Amazon recruitee and engineer central, a bonus)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin