HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 1:37 AM
Corporate logo

That's some serious site prep.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:05 PM
Realtor

snow doesn't slow these guys down

They were hard at work during lunch today. The old parking lot is basically gone at this point. Just a bunch of dirt.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:34 PM

Finally, the building is coming into reality. Wish I can say the same for 1441 Chestnut!!!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 12:09 AM

Yes...I've always wanted to see this one get started.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 6:45 PM
Realtor

From lunch today

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 7:21 PM
Register This

Won't be long now till this piece is in the Construction Forum!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper121 View Post
Won't be long now till this piece is in the Construction Forum!
It's got a serious, high tech, totally automated underground garage that could take a while to dig and install.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 7:04 PM
Realtor

yup, as confirmed again today, at least 6 more months of digging until the foundation starts and then the parking garage should be quite complicated.

From lunch today.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 8:29 PM
Corporate logo

What can barely be seen in the last of Lincolndrive's photos are six long i-beams on the left hand side. It won't be long before this one is officially U/C.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 11:26 PM

Wait...so there will be another 6 months of digging yet, before anything starts rising? Is this because of the underground parking system?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 7:18 PM
Realtor

A lot of action on site at lunch today. They are putting a new fence in on the street to make more room for trucks etc on site. Good signs.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 6:43 PM
Realtor

12/19 lunch

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 7:24 PM
Western Suburbs

I walked past last night...quite a tricky operation. From a location standpoint, this project supports the Square and the Avenue. I did not think that deeply into it until recently.

Lincoln, thank you for the weekly updates.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:11 PM
Realtor

lunch today

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 4:23 PM
Baryonic Lord

It looks like just another box. there is nothing spectacular about it... i was looking for something but no thanks.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
It looks like just another box. there is nothing spectacular about it... i was looking for something but no thanks.
Good things come in small boxes, they say. And this will be a small, brilliant and very tasteful jewel appropriate to its surroundings.

And just what sort of "something" were you "looking" for? If you want a behemoth, try another neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 3:39 AM
Corporate logo

January 1, 2008

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 4:16 PM

The below is from Inga Saffron's blog (www.changingskyline.blogspot.com). It suggests that the activity on the site is nothing more than shoring up the wall of a neighboring house:

If it seems like years since the developers of 1706 Rittenhouse began running ads in the New Yorker for their 29-unit luxury condo tower on 17th Street - it's because they have. But judging by the machines that have been pushing dirt around the tiny site near Rittenhouse Square, they may be ready finally to start building the slim, 31-story tower designed by David Ertz of Cope Linder Architects.
Developer Tom Scannapieco, who partnered with the site's owner - Philadelphia parking king Joe Zuritsky - will only say that the crews were summoned to the site to shore up the wall of the neighboring townhouse. Over the next few weeks, soldier piles will be sunk into the ground to underpin the wall and prevent collapse. The developers own the house and will use it as a future sales office.
Judging from this model photograph, the design looks pretty much the same as it did in 2006, when Mayor Street personally intervened to settle a zoning dispute with the neighbors at 250 s. 17th Street. As a result of those talks the tower was pushed back 33 feet from the sidewalk line to preserve the neighbors' views, creating what will be a private forecourt and - unfortunately for the rest of us - a gap-toothed sidewalk line along 17th Street.
What you don't see is that the back of the tower will cantilever slightly over the townhouse. As I wrote in February 2006, it will look like the tower is"squashing the house like a bug."
Don't be surprised if the developers formally green-light this understated, but very elegant, tower, which features full-floor units starting around $3 million.
Although the condo market is slumping in lots of places, including Philadelphia, developers say there is still demand for high-end units in prime spots. Rittenhouse Square, and a few waterfront locations, like Locust Point on the Schuylkill River, have continued to sell. No wonder Castleway Properties is moving steadily ahead with its hotel-condo project on the square, which I discussed in a column this month. The developers will present the project at a meeting sponsored by the Center City Residents Association on Jan. 10 at 7 p.m, in the Lutheran Church at 21st and Chestnut Streets.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 4:41 PM
Realtor

Thanks for ALL the great pics, Swine. In regards Sharkfoods comment, the first step in this process is securing the foundation (and the neighboring buildings) so that they can move to the next phase of building the foundation and then the parking garage and ultimately the tower.

I don't think Inga is suggesting that they are merely securing the next door building and leaving it at that. With the amount of money they are investing in this process (and missing out of since its no longer a money generating parking lot), you would think they are pretty bullish on getting this tower built.

There are way cheaper ways of securing an old building then tearing up an entire city parking lot. Lets hope so right!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 10:05 PM

Anyone been by lately to see the progess on this one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive