HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Ryugyong Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pyongyang Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 12:41 AM

BRomania!

I'm aware of the history of the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
One of the main reasons North Korea acts so odd is because of how close it is to being invaded by Americans and their ally South Korea
-
Allowing your people to starve is a great way to prepare them for the imminent invasion of capitalists pigs, right?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:42 AM
Come As You Are

That's just what the NK government doesn't seem to grasp. If its people are properly modernized instead of being threatened to the point of being scared to walk down the wrong street then they will have less need for acting so strange. But then again, the government there does know that if they changed their ways now, their regime would be overthrown.
I'm a capitalist supporter, but i dislike the arrogance America seems to have internationally. It's actually all up to China to decide NK's fate, due to NK being on its border, so if Sino-American relations improve, NK is gone.

I hope this tower will be spared, in the end, also. It's the most beautiful in the world, in my opinion.

Tramway Passing In Front Of Ryugyong Hotel, Pyongyang, North Korea by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

By: Cyrus Kirkpatrick

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:45 AM

Video Link

I'm sure this has been posted before, but just in case anybody missed it.

Edit, doesn't look like I can embed it, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DkBl_3VEKs

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Video Link

I'm sure this has been posted before, but just in case anybody missed it.

Edit, doesn't look like I can embed it, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DkBl_3VEKs
That's the Yanggakdo Hotel. The Ryugyong Hotel is not even complete. This is what the interior of the Ryugyong Hotel actually looks like.

And again from moderator's rules. This thread is not allowed to be flooded with political topics. This is only about the hotel. If you want to discuss politics move somewhere else. This is only about the hotel. Final warning.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 9:28 AM

Damn it, my girlfriend sent me that.

Needless to say, I don't follow this thread that much.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 8:53 PM

Well this hotel has got even more bad news on it's shoulders.

http://www.nknews.org/2013/03/kempin...n-north-korea/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 9:47 PM
Come As You Are

My heart is broken.

IF this is about the war scare, they are incredibly stupid, as no war will break out.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 1:13 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
It's actually all up to China to decide NK's fate, due to NK being on its border, so if Sino-American relations improve, NK is gone.
This is very true.
While I'm not exactly privy to government information, I do have a friend that works for Beijing, and he informed me that the new leaders of China have ZERO patience with NK, and have already started making very serious plans to 'handle' the government there.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:10 AM
Bring out the cranes...

My goodness that is a big building. If I had something like that in my city I think it would take us 100 years to fill it up.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:
My heart is broken.

IF this is about the war scare, they are incredibly stupid, as no war will break out.
Let's hope the building is 'done' enough if it sits for another 5+ years, it will be in OK shape when they resume (if they resume...I hope so).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 4:06 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
My heart is broken.

I wouldn't be so sure about that; Kim Jong-un and the military have been wildly unpredictable these past few months.

In any case, while it is sad that this hotel would be delayed for possibly a lot longer, hopefully when the tensions ease -or when North Korea crumbles- the hotel can resume construction and be open to the world.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:06 AM

A picture from April 17th 2013. From Wikipedia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...April_2013.jpg

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 6:11 AM

Beautiful building. One of the most interesting buildings in the world IMO.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:20 PM

I doubt that building will ever open to be honest. I doubt it's built to any kind of code. I'd be afraid of collapse if you filled it with contents.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:32 PM

Built to who's code?

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 6:00 PM

I can imagine them finishing the lobby, a few stories at the top, another few stories here and there within the tower, expecting to fool the world... I can also imagine that most of the stories of this building will never be finish.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 8:13 PM

Nope. Their plan is to finish the whole building. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8306697.stm

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 9:47 PM
Come As You Are

^^ Orascom plans to use the lower podium floors and most likely leave the tower section to hotels. I think Kempinski will come back if they realize that there will be no war.
People are so desperate to make fun of this building...claiming it's going to collapse, it will never be used..etc. Simply for the location, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I doubt that building will ever open to be honest. I doubt it's built to any kind of code. I'd be afraid of collapse if you filled it with contents.
Orascom, the concrete company that restarted construction, said they found little problems with it. There's no way a company that works with concrete would risk investing in an irrepairable building. Epecially one 330 meters tall and in north Korea, ripe for media chastizing. Neither would the luxury hotel group Kempinski.

Some info about the structure written in 1992 by an engineering team from Skopje

http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/wcee/art..._vol5_2789.pdf

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:15 AM

Quote:
People are so desperate to make fun of this building...claiming it's going to collapse, it will never be used..etc. Simply for the location, sadly.
It's not about the location. This building was BS from the start; like a guy on welfare buying a Rolls Royce - who is he trying to kid?? It's all about bling and they don't have the budget to afford something like this. That's why the project stalled for 16 years! Rich Kingdoms in the middle east can afford to do grandiose projects like this, not North Korea.

Again, what's happening now is all about image, putting out a fresh modern face for the rest of the world while the entire world know what's the real situation is over there.

I don't understand why anyone would be optimistic about this building getting finished by reading that BBC article...

If they were able to let this unfinished, huge failure symbol, stand for 16 years, I'm pretty sure that now that it has a shinny exterior, it will stand unfinished on the inside for many many years to come...

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 8:22 PM
Come As You Are

They started building it in the 80s because they wanted to let a bit of capitalism in their economy, and undergo some sort of openness like the USSR did. But then Tiananmen Square and the collapse of the USSR happened and they became paranoid and shut down the country, along with the Ryugyong, and NK has been shit ever since. Anyway, Moscow had built such grand skyscrapers in the 50s; NK had full rights for one. Especially if Soviet funds were invested in it.

I believe NK wants to be accepted by the world, to be seen as a real country. Of course, the USA and the West imposes such murderous sanctions on it, that it cannot do this, and its people starve because money has to be put into defence from invasion. The 'war scare' that caused Kempinski to halt progress is nothing but a publicity stunt, but the media does not want people to know this, since it gives them ratings. I have no sympathy for those who blindly accept what the media writes about their enemy. Especially about something as unimportant as a skyscraper that nobody will ever bother to check if they're telling the truth or not.

According to some western sources, average tourism rates (several thousand per year) are still continuing there, so I don't see much reason for it to not be used. Orascom is still working on the podium as well, because I believe they plan on using that space for offices, or something.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; May 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive