HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:51 PM

Good sleuthing. Well there you have it, nothing says credible like a shopped rendering you yanked from Google Image Search. Someone please tell me that it was a fan creation and not something by the prospective ownership group...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good sleuthing. Well there you have it, nothing says credible like a shopped rendering you yanked from Google Image Search. Someone please tell me that it was a fan creation and not something by the prospective ownership group...
Theirs nothing credible about this in general. I think Leblanc is trying to grease his way into a CFL team and concert business with no money. I can't imagine the CFL expansion fee is much if any. Hes trying to use other peoples money and development ambitions to fund his stadium and CFL franchise. It's kind of genius when you think about it. You get this cool sports and entertainment business funded on the backs of tax payers and developers

No different then the coyotes. Bought low, Got a favorable lease agreement/subsidy from local government which i can only imagine upped the value and cashed out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:16 PM
ハルウララ

Hamilton's TH Field will host the Women's NT as they play against Germany in a friendly on June 10, 2018. Tickets go on sale March 8th.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/-5-Cana...01&language=en

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I must admit that I have very low expectations for the people behind this Halifax bid. That LeBlanc fellow has some sports management/ownership experience, but that was with the Phoenix Coyotes and is therefore immediately suspect. I'm sure that they are significantly undercapitalized and badly need investors and support from all three levels of government. This will be very hard to come by. They strike me more as promoters and hucksters than a serious sports ownership group........
You keep repeating this with ZERO proof. Whatever they got up to in Phoenix, they were bought out so they have funds and we don't know how well Bowser is funded. It is certainly a helluva lot easier to meet a CFL payroll than an NHL payroll and I don't recall Phoenix missing any.

And again repeating myself Ambrosie is a financial guy, I'm sure after the lessons of the Islanders and John Spano that this group would have been vetted.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You keep repeating this with ZERO proof. Whatever they got up to in Phoenix, they were bought out so they have funds
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ticle21450346/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe & Mail
The amount of the Coyotes' debt depends on who is doing the telling. Some say the Canadians borrowed $120-million from Fortress Investment Group at 10 per cent and $85-million from the NHL at a similar rate – a total of $205-million on a $170-million purchase. The extra was to provide working capital until the team could pay its own way.

Those close to Gosbee and LeBlanc insist the total debt was never more than $170-million, which was equally split between Fortress and the NHL. Either way, the group was taking on the NHL's worst financial sinkhole without the cushion of a large bank account.
They borrowed $205M and then sold the team years later for $155M. This saga included renegging on a $250K sponsorship deal and potentially using $15M they received from the City of Glendale on debt servicing when it was supposed to be directed towards team operations.

Either way, the group at the time didn't have the money to purchase the Coyotes without borrowing. I'm not sure how much capital is currently available for both a CFL team and a stadium.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'm not sure how much capital is currently available for both a CFL team and a stadium.
You, me and everybody else that isn't involved with this. The whole Phoenix situation did not include Bowser and any other minor investors who might have come on board. It's all speculation and some people are speculating the worst. Personally, I don't mind the group being proactive.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:26 PM
HVAC guru

From the Edmonton Journal re: Edmonton Coliseum

Committee to consider pros, cons and risks of Coliseum site redevelopment

Should the city decide to sell the Northlands Coliseum building to a third party, it cannot encourage the purchaser to renovate or rebuild a sports or entertainment facility in its place and nor can it offer financial support or advocate for such an initiative, a new report says.

Because of a master agreement between the city and the Edmonton Arena Corporation, an affiliate of the Oilers Entertainment Group, if future zoning of the land or the area development plan requires a sports or entertainment facility, the city would be considered in contravention of the agreement signed in 2013 as part of the Rogers Place redevelopment.

Delaying the decision until 2019, “or later,” would mean the city would incur the arena holding cost. Leaving the site inactive for an extended period of time “could have a negative effect on the surrounding communities,” which was “one of the greatest community concerns” when the closure was announced last year, the report says

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-redevelopment

Yup, they really thought this out

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
They don't seem too confident IMO. They are going for CRL the same way Katz and The flames are. The ol " Public Money that didn't exist before this proposed development will fund this proposed development" Approach. I Wouldn't get your hopes up Atlantic Canada

I think this is the new way of getting arenas and stadiums built with Public funds. Call them "Public Developments" and down play the venues financial role in that "Public Development". This may be why Ottawa Gets an Arena built on public dime and Calgary doesn't. The Sens are involved in Major "Public development" and the Flames are building an arena for the Flames. CalgaryNext was an arena and Stadium disguised as a "Public development".
No no no

Ottawa's arena will be 100% funded by the private sector. They (the City and the Sens) have said this time and time again. The Sens owner even confirmed it again few weeks ago.

The National Capital Commission held a competition to see who is worthy to buy the contaminated former industrial land downtown named LeBreton Flats and redevelop. The deal is the Sens consortium (RVL) will buy the land for market value (probably hundreds of millions) and the NCC will deduct the price of cleanup (tens of millions) since they were the ones who expropriated then sat on it for 50+ years. The alternative would have been the City contributing through existent programs and tax breaks to help cleanup the contaminated site.

RVL will not be asking any public money whatsoever. Not even to cover the O-Train Line. The only thing the City will be paying for are roads, sewer lines and parks, as they would for any other development downtown or in the suburbs.

Last edited by J.OT13; Feb 17, 2018 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good guess. One of the Halifax forumers did a search on the interweb and came up with this:

I must admit that I have very low expectations for the people behind this Halifax bid. That LeBlanc fellow has some sports management/ownership experience, but that was with the Phoenix Coyotes and is therefore immediately suspect. I'm sure that they are significantly undercapitalized and badly need investors and support from all three levels of government. This will be very hard to come by. They strike me more as promoters and hucksters than a serious sports ownership group........
If you ever on the HfBoards, just go on the Phoenix Coyotes thread in the Business of Hockey forum and ask some of the folks there about Leblanc and they will be happy to fill you in. A bloviating individual full of hot air and empty promises.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
You, me and everybody else that isn't involved with this. The whole Phoenix situation did not include Bowser and any other minor investors who might have come on board. It's all speculation and some people are speculating the worst. Personally, I don't mind the group being proactive.
Birds of a feather flock together. Like-minded individuals most likely. Until he proves otherwise, Leblanc and his ilk should be assumed to be hucksters, shysters,etc.

This leaked announcement regarding the Halifax expansion team including a tidbit regarding a privately financed stadium. Yeah, sure! A privately financed stadium in a market with no history of supporting the CFL - something that has never happened in any other market. The announcement reeks of Leblanc.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
No no no

Ottawa's arena will be 100% funded by the private sector. They (the City and the Sens) have said this time and time again. The Sens owner even confirmed it again few weeks ago.

The National Capital Commission held a competition to see who is worthy to buy the contaminated former industrial land downtown named LeBreton Flats and redevelop. The deal is the Sens consortium (RVL) will buy the land for market value (probably hundreds of millions) and the NCC will deduct the price of cleanup (tens of millions) since they were the ones who expropriated then sat on it for 50+ years. The alternative would have been the City contributing through existent programs and tax breaks to help cleanup the contaminated site.

RVL will not be asking any public money whatsoever. Not even to cover the O-Train Line. The only thing the City will be paying for are roads, sewer lines and parks, as they would for any other development downtown or in the suburbs.
Sorry, I'm not buying it. I don't feel like Any Canadian teams will be privately funding an Arena after seeing Edmonton and QC build arenas with significant public dollars. Let alone Eugene Menelik of all Canadian Team owners

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:34 PM

I think MLSE Changed the Game for Building Arena's.

Take the ACC's New Naming rights deal. 800M over 20 Years. That pays for Toronto's Next Arena.

That lands Calgary at 400M

Ottawas new DT Arenas at 300M

It's getting difficult for these Teams claim hardship when naming rights deals are practically Gonna fund the cost of the construction over just half of its life Span.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Feb 20, 2018 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:45 PM

I don't know how relevant the naming rights for the ACC are to any city not named Toronto. It's the biggest city in Canada, the home to most of our media, and the only arena with an NBA team. The boon from getting your name on its exterior doesn't exist for Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:04 PM
arf

^Agreed. In 2002, Bell paid $100 million for 20 years of naming rights in Montreal. Toronto at $800 million for 20 years. Time frame slightly different, but you can do the estimates:

Toronto $800 million
Montreal $100 million

I can't even find any financial information on Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver. and Winnipeg. But my estimates of Edmonton and Winnipeg suggest < 50 million for Edmonton and probably less than < 20 for Winnipeg. Nobody in Canada outside of Toronto is paying for a stadium through the naming rights alone.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Centre Vidéotron naming rights went for 33 million for 25 years. If there is an NHL team based in the building the naming rights fee doubles.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Birds of a feather flock together.
Really, I am neither gay nor left leaning both of which are characteristics that predominate at this site or so someone else here has postulated. So we are certainly not "flocking together"

Until concrete evidence comes up there is no justification for the negative posts. Did Donald Trump run companies going bankrupt a few times prevent him from having some successful business ventures. Bad example, but I think most of us here know about the Phoenix venture, exactly what good does it do and how does it help to harp on them ad nauseum, ad infinitem.

None of us have any idea about this Halifax venture and who is partnering in the deal, early days.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I think MLSE Changed the Game for Building Arena's.

Take the ACC's New Naming rights deal. 800M over 20 Years. That pays for Toronto's Next Arena.

That lands Calgary at 400M

Ottawas new DT Arenas at 300M

It's getting difficult for these Teams claim hardship when naming rights deals are practically Gonna fund the cost of the construction over just half of its life Span.
Yea, you can't just base the amount of money they get for naming rights solely on the population/size of the city. It doesn't work that way.

Calgary and Ottawa aren't getting anywhere close to those amounts.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:57 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Centre Vidéotron naming rights went for 33 million for 25 years. If there is an NHL team based in the building the naming rights fee doubles.

Factor in 1% inflation for construction costs (ridiculously low I would think) and $66 milliion is not paying for the $474 million replacement.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:57 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Really, I am neither gay nor left leaning both of which are characteristics that predominate at this site or so someone else here has postulated. So we are certainly not "flocking together"

Until concrete evidence comes up there is no justification for the negative posts. Did Donald Trump run companies going bankrupt a few times prevent him from having some successful business ventures. Bad example, but I think most of us here know about the Phoenix venture, exactly what good does it do and how does it help to harp on them ad nauseum, ad infinitem.

None of us have any idea about this Halifax venture and who is partnering in the deal, early days.
As I've said months ago, there's plenty to glean from past interviews if you know what to look for.

Trump? Seriously?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Factor in 1% inflation for construction costs (ridiculously low I would think) and $66 milliion is not paying for the $474 million replacement.
Nope sorry guys, Not that black and white. That Money is what Quebecor pays for Arena Lease. For Some questionable reason the city and Quebecor Decided on Including the Naming rights Into that lease Instead of Out sourcing to bring in More revenue which as a Local tax payer would make me furious.

"On March 1, 2011 Quebecor entered into an agreement to acquire management rights to the new arena, a deal expected to be between $33 million and $63 million up front, plus between $3.15 million and $5 million in annual rent. The value of the deal will increase if an NHL franchise moves into the arena; Quebecor has actively backed an expansion franchise for Quebec City.[1][13] This arrangement was made without public tender, for which the provincial government provided legal immunity.As part of the management contract, Quebecor also holds the arena's naming rights; on April 7, 2015, it was announced that the arena would carry the name of Quebecor-owned cable company Vidéotron, and be known as the Videotron Centre"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Yea, you can't just base the amount of money they get for naming rights solely on the population/size of the city. It doesn't work that way.

Calgary and Ottawa aren't getting anywhere close to those amounts.
I'm Not basing it on Anything but the Profile of the Arena and the Sports teams that play There combined with the new bar set by MLSE. If I'm Calgary and I see MLSE Get 40M a season for a 20 year old Rink, I'm Setting my price at 15M a season at a Minimum for my brand New DT Rink. You wanna get Your name on our half Billion toy? Here's The cost. I think these Lease Holders have more Power then 2 decades Ago as Companies are Racing to Stamp their brand all Over Sports Venues In Canada and North America right Now (Scotiabank,Rogers,Bell,TD). You think Katz is Getting anywhere close to less than 10 Million a Season for Rogers Place? In What World..

I think 300M might be a bit high for Winnipeg and Ottawa Now that I think About it. But I can see Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary getting between that 300-400 mark. Before MLSE's new deal not a chance

Last edited by Oilkountry; Feb 20, 2018 at 9:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada