HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Salt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
The blue film has finally been removed. Pretty clear now that this one won't be unseating The Rolston for the honor of the most attractive tower in the recent Downtown South wave of projects - the podium, protruding box, and feature penthouse window look good, but it doesn't seem to have much going for it otherwise.

I rather like this streetview. There is a continuity to it, esp with the rows of red brick buildings, the tower itself of course, and the alignment of the buildings further down.
It has a (very mild) New Yorkish, or Toronto feel to it, in the positive sense. A true "big city" feeling, without being smack in the middle of downtown.
The one-way street aspect adds to that metropolitan feeling too.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:51 AM

From 150 meters above Downtown. Yes, it's an optical illusion that the tower would be leaning. I measured several times.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:16 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Just to confirm before I switch the title, is this one now occupied?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 1:59 PM
life in the present

Occupancy is happening very slowing in phases, I believe some of the lower floors are just becoming occupied. My client bought on the 21st floor, his 'walk-through' is Wednesday and his occupancy in Aug 13.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 4:23 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Well as long as partial occupancy has been granted it's good enough to make the switch to completed. Title changed.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 6:55 AM
A hole being Doug

The public/street art component (red asterisk/jumping jack things that light up) for this project is great, people are always smiling or stopping to take pictures when they see it

Also, this project is perhaps the most prominent building now visible from the Burrard St bridge

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genauso View Post
The public/street art component (red asterisk/jumping jack things that light up) for this project is great, people are always smiling or stopping to take pictures when they see it
Those are over at Maddox. Salt has the wording down the north side of the tower "We must cultivate our garden".

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 10:47 PM

whats at street level? retail or housing?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 12:38 AM
life in the present

Street level is retail, none seem leased yet.

Toured the building last week with my client, lobby and lounge level are nicely finished, suite entrances have LED lighting and architectural numbering.. super slick! Elevators are very high-quality high-speed and super quiet and stable, certainly not your standard Richmond Elevator crap.

Overall the inside is more impressive than the outside.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 4:24 AM

cool. i haven't really been in that part of town in about 5 years lol i should venture down there when i am home next week

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 4:23 AM

This is what became of the rendering. I am happy with the tower, but the "public art" piece is pretty crappy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Street level is retail, none seem leased yet.

Toured the building last week with my client, lobby and lounge level are nicely finished, suite entrances have LED lighting and architectural numbering.. super slick! Elevators are very high-quality high-speed and super quiet and stable, certainly not your standard Richmond Elevator crap.

Overall the inside is more impressive than the outside.
Curious why you consider Richmond Elevator "crap"? Anyone who has half a clue will know that it is the developer/GC who chooses the products anyone installs, and if they want cheap they get cheap...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:20 PM

Don't know if I'm right or not, but I associate Richmond Elevator with the hydraulic elevators seen in low-rise or mid-rise buildings
- and hydraulic elevators are painfully slow.
(i.e. instead of cables and pulleys pulling from above, they use pistons that push up from the ground, I think)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Don't know if I'm right or not, but I associate Richmond Elevator with the hydraulic elevators seen in low-rise or mid-rise buildings
- and hydraulic elevators are painfully slow.
(i.e. instead of cables and pulleys pulling from above, they use pistons that push up from the ground, I think)
Your correct in how a hydraulic elevator works. A oil tank and pump push hydraulic fluid through a series of pipes into the bottom of the elevator hoistway, where it pressurizes a hydraulic jack that pushes the elevator cab up. Releasing this pressure (and oil) back into the tank in the machine room slowly and safely lowers the elevator car. A hydraulic unit can go up to 200 feet per minute before they are not really worth it anymore and one would go to a traction elevator, or the newer MRL (Machine RoomLess Elevators).

Traction or electric elevators work with a rope and pulley system that is counterbalanced on a shiev at usually the top of the elevator hoistway for energy efficiency. Traction units can go well over 1000 feet per minute, and with gearless machines the sky is the limit in terms of maximum speed.

Richmond does a lot of high rise traction's in the GVRD as well as the lions share of hydraulics, probably 35% - 40%.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 11:58 PM

Ugh, my work building has Richmond Elevators and they are TERRIBLE. The building is less than a decade old and they are constantly breaking, forgetting where they are going, or just generally doing bonkers things. In comparison, the 40 yearold Otis lifts in my apartment building work like dreams.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:38 AM

Hmm...
The Otis elevators in my condo (20 years old now) are constantly breaking down.
At least we have 3 of them, so if one goes, its not too too bad.

They just replaced the cables on one of them - so hopefully that'll solve ongoing problems for that one.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:00 AM

as with most things I'm sure each elevator company has something like
- option A $$$$
- option B $$$
- option C $$
- option D $

depending how much the developer wants to spend there are different prices accordingly.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:02 AM

I had heard that because the building only has 2 elevators for 193 units, the developer was going to install centre-opening elevator doors? These open and close faster and are typically only installed in office buildings.

Thought this was a good idea for more residential highrises. Can anyone confirm that they actually followed through on this? Connect2source?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:18 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanelevatorman View Post
Curious why you consider Richmond Elevator "crap"? Anyone who has half a clue will know that it is the developer/GC who chooses the products anyone installs, and if they want cheap they get cheap...
I'm a Realtor, work and live and have lived in many buildings with Richmond Elevators, they're notorious for frequent break-downs, they're also slow and noisy. In my building they fail about every other weekend and we're left with one elevator for 34 floors. It's also common in many of the building in which I list properties where many of the Strata Minutes echo what goes on in my building. Guess they're cheap.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 11:39 AM

I'm on the top floor of the Burj Khalifa & I'm constantly having to take the stairs. Bloody hydraulic elevator keeps breaking down

And now for some public art. Well a portion of it anyway. "Idea for a Trellis" by Rhonda Weppler and Trevor Mahovsky, on the north side of Salt.

[IMG]IMG_8334 by vancouverbyte, on Flickr[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver