HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 6:00 PM
BANNED

I'm not actually sure what this means, other than that the funding is complicated and the Federal "stimulus" isn't paying for it:

Quote:
Hearing delay for SFPUC's ultragreen HQ
By: JOHN UPTON
08/03/09 4:52 PM PDT

A committee hearing into the planned construction of a $190 million super-green San Francisco Public Utilities Commission headquarters will be postponed, after officials decided to add $47.4 million in additional appropriations.

The (Board of Supervisors) Budget and Finance Committee was scheduled on Wednesday to discuss plans to construct a windmill-equipped, water-recycling 12-floor office building near City Hall at 525 Golden Gate Ave.

The building was planned as the nation’s greenest office building when it was proposed in 2007 by Mayor Gavin Newsom. Since then, a series of cutting-edge environmental features, such as windowsill-embedded solar panels, have been dumped from the plans to slash costs.

The new proposal is nonetheless planned to qualify for a LEED Platinum rating – the greenest rating possible for an office building.

The Board of Supervisors has already appropriated $43.8 million of the $190.6 million project.

But plans to appropriate the remainder of the money, $146.9 million, have been delayed, after officials decided to add an additional $47.4 million in financing-related appropriations that previously were planned to be considered at a separate hearing.

That extra $47.4 million will not be spent on design or construction of the project, according to SFPUC Chief Financial Officer Todd Rydstrom. Rather, the cash reserve needs to be appropriated and squirreled away to satisfy the requirements of lenders, according to Rydstrom.

A Budget and Finance Committee hearing into the proposed appropriation of the additional $194.3 million needed for the project is expected to be held next week.

The project will be financed through bonds, property sales, grants and city savings, SFPUC documents show.
Source: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/bl...agreen-HQ.html

I think it's good news, though. Sounds like the project is moving forward. They are certainly digging. The site is a beehive of activity (I guess that's the $43.8 million at work).

Anyway, Socketsite had some rendering I haven't seen before:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...or_sfpucs.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:25 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Is the Transbay tower still a go?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:48 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It's up to Hines. They've paid the city for the rights. But whether they decide to move ahead or sell those rights or just wait awhile, is hard to say. The terminal itself seems to be moving ahead though, and that's my main concern.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:57 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Well, it's a start. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Halleluja!

Quote:
Freshly Approved New PUC Building Costs More Than You Think
by Chris Roberts
August 12, 2009 1:00 PM

If William Randolph Hearst were both a green-technology nut and alive, he might find much to like with the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission's proposed $346 million green technology Playboy Mansion new headquarters, funding of which cleared a Board of Supervisors Committee on Wednesday.

The 13-story, glass-heavy monument to water filtration, glass and -- uh, from what we can tell -- glass has been covered much in local media, so we won't reinvent the windmill here, except to reiterate: it's been a pet project of Gavin Newsom's since it was announced in 2007, it replaces a vacant lot at 525 Golden Gate which in turn replaced a long-vacant state building, and it will allow the SFPUC to move out of leased office space on Market Street -- thereby SAVING YOU MONEY since your water bill will no longer be paying off someone else's rent (though to be sure, such environmentally-friendly San Simeons do not come free).

Again, much has been already covered heavily -- such as the scaling-back of the original plans because, believe it or not, amenities like magic moving windows and windmills on every floor are a wee bit expensive -- but a few points warrant mention:
Most media reports tabulate the building's cost at $190 million. The real cost is closer to $346 million, according to the Budget Analysts Office (that includes debt service). $346 million for a building sounds like a lot, but consider -- the PUC estimates leasing its current office space for the next 30 years would run them $380 million. $60 million -- oh, the SAVINGS!

The city didn't spend much to acquire the site, mind -- and in fact profited heavily (sorta). After Loma Prieta damaged the old state building at 525 Golden Gate, the state sold the site, janky-ass building included, for $2.00, which the city then flipped to its own Public Utilities Commission for $9.9 million (plus a tall, cool glass of Hetch-Hetchy H20 with ice). Nice flip, SF.

The building will include a child-care center. What, you were expecting SFPUC's wee tykes to work in the on-site coal mine?

Design is not yet final, according to memos presented to the Board, but will include a 1,500-square foot Slow Food Cafe. Windmill-powered pulled pork sandwiches? As long as it's served on glass!
Source: http://www.sfappeal.com/news/2009/08...earst-were.php

And I can report first hand the excavation is moving rapidly forward. Pretty much all traces of the previous building are gone (except a bit of the perimeter foundation wall now being used as a retaining wall for the new excavation) and they are digging ever deeper.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:13 PM

I just took some video and pictures of some great modern buildings in Amsterdam... take a look, maybe it can be inspiration for some future developments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_INdCWPBz4

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:15 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Yeah! How about a photo update of the site, BT? Is this too small for its own thread? I can't remember.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:17 PM
BANNED

More:

Quote:
Green building for SFPUC granted funds
By: JOSHUA SABATINI
08/18/09 6:30 PM PDT

The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission plan to spend $194 million to pay for the construction of a windmill-laden, water-recycling 13-floor office building for the agency was approved Tuesday by the Board of Supervisor in unanimous vote.

The building will serve as the PUC’s new headquarters.

The building, which had been scaled back, will be located at 525 Golden Gate Ave. Construction costs alone are estimated at $137 million. Other costs include $4.4 million for furniture, fixtures and equipment.
Source: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/bl...-53627852.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:25 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Yes, Amsterdam has fantastic architecture -- both old and new. Unfortunately, in SF most of the bolder stuff can only be done on a smaller scale. It's hard to imagine a new large skyscraper with truly cutting-edge design getting built in this town. On the other hand, I don't recall a lot of proposals for large buildings that I'd consider in the class of those in your video. (I'm willfully forgetting about SOM's Transbay.)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Yeah! How about a photo update of the site, BT? Is this too small for its own thread? I can't remember.
At 12 stories, it doesn't make the 200' minimum for a thread. But I still think it's going to be an interesting and attractive building that will spruce up Civic Center (and I like pulled pork--even cooked with electricity from a windmill )

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:46 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Ha! And you can top it off with some nice collected rainwater off the side of the building. Err, maybe not.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah! How about a photo update of the site, BT?
New SFPUC HQ (Golden Gate & Polk)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 3:12 AM
Surrounded by Nature

BT's great new sandbox.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:40 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks, BT. I take it they aren't going that deep for a 12-story building, even if there will be parking down there. Perhaps they're getting close.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 8:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks, BT. I take it they aren't going that deep for a 12-story building, even if there will be parking down there. Perhaps they're getting close.
Can LEED Platinum buildings have {{gasp}} parking?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Can LEED Platinum buildings have {{gasp}} parking?
For bikes

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 11:18 PM

Nice to see that something else is getting built in SF. I just moved to Brooklyn, NY for law school, so you guys will have to keep me posted on all the cool things happening in San Francisco.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Anyone catch this news about 110 Embarcadero on SFGate yesterday:

Quote:

Move over James Bond. We're talking land use.

And you thought politics was dirty.

The clash between preservationists and developers over the future of a waterfront union hall where the 1934 General Strike began has a new wrinkle: spying allegations.

This had already been shaping up as a bitter fight with labor and architectural heritage types pitted against developer Hines, which wants to replace the old longshoreman's union hall with an uber-green office building -- one of the tallest on the city's waterfront.

The two sides don't even agree on the address. The preservationists refer to it as 113 Steuart St. Hines calls it 110 The Embarcadero. (The preservation battle has also fractured labor, with the Building and Construction Trades Council backing the development for the jobs it would bring.)

Now the group that wants the building declared a city landmark says a Hines employee misrepresented himself as an avid preservationist to get access to the group's Aug. 4 meeting, where documents were provided and strategy discussed for upcoming hearings before the Board of Supervisors and its Land Use Committee.

The Hines employee, Daniel McGill, left with the documents and took "copious notes" during the meeting, which included discussion with an aide to Supervisor Chris Daly, who in April introduced a resolution to landmark the union hall, said Ralph Schoenman, a member of the 113 Steuart St. Landmark Committee.

The committee blasted McGill's actions as "unethical" and "a form of industrial espionage" in a recent letter to city supervisors, saying the behavior "raises serious ethical concerns regarding Hines' fitness to conduct joint projects with the city of San Francisco."

Hines has agreed to pay $235 million to the Transbay Joint Powers Authority to construct an office tower as part of the Transbay Terminal project but has recently defaulted on other major projects around the Bay Area.

A Hines executive acknowledged McGill attended the preservation meeting, but said he did so after being told it was open to the public.

"He signed in as a citizen of San Francisco," said Paul Paradis, a senior vice president with Hines.

Schoenman called that a "self-serving fabrication."

"It was not open to the public," he said.

Paradis said Hines has agreed not to copy the documents McGill received and will return them to the preservation committee.

"We understand that they're upset," Paradis said. "They are making it clear that they don't want us at their meetings. That was not clear before."

Daly called the incident "bad form" but downplayed its impact.

"My guess is Hines didn't pick up any state secrets," he said. "Developers are developers, and there's a reason why people don't tend to hold them in very high esteem -- I would say a notch below politicians."

Posted By: John Coté (Email) | August 25 2009 at 09:00 AM
Daly called the incident "bad form" -- oh, the irony!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:58 PM

Quote:
"My guess is Hines didn't pick up any state secrets," he said. "Developers are developers, and there's a reason why people don't tend to hold them in very high esteem -- I would say a notch below politicians."
Quote of the day - brought to you by Chris Daly.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:17 PM

Here is more on why preservationists feel 113 Steuart St. is worth saving:
(Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere. I don't recall.)

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_...3&issue_num=31

news@sfbg.com

Quote:
Historic proportions
Green City: A battle over the former longshoremen's hall has sparked a move to rethink waterfront planning
BY REBECCA BOWE
Wednesday April 29, 2009

GREEN CITY "110 The Embarcadero" is the stately address of a building that doesn't exist yet. But the battle that continues to be waged over this proposed development, along with skirmishes that are brewing over other proposed buildings nearby, speaks volumes about a complicated tug-of-war that is emerging over a prominent slice of the city's northern waterfront.

A Bancroft Library archival
photo of the labor hall entrance

Preservationists are concerned about saving a union hall on Steuart Street that housed the International Longshoremen's Association during the strike of 1934, which would be razed to build 110 The Embarcadero. That's one of a number of historic properties critics say could face the wrecking ball as new building plans are drafted. Other proposals, among them 8 Washington and 555 Washington, have neighborhood activists anxious about long skyscraper shadows that could be cast on public parks, the development pressure that would result from allowing skyscrapers to exceed height limits, and views of the bay that would be enhanced from inside luxury high rises but blocked to others.

On the other side of the coin, building-trades union members increasingly desperate for work are fervently advocating for new construction projects that would open the spigot on jobs. And the Port of San Francisco hopes development money will help cover its huge infrastructure backlog.

Meanwhile a report released in early April by the Bay Conservation and Development Commission noted that the waterfront stretch from Pier 35 to the Bay Bridge is one of the most vulnerable to sea-level rise. As plans for this part of the Embarcadero are hashed out in public hearings and architects' sketches, a new reality must be factored into the mix: some of that land could soon be underwater.

MISSING HISTORY

110 The Embarcadero initially won praise for its goal of attaining the highest certification level for nationwide green-building standards. Sponsored by Hines Interests, it was a shining example of ecodesign that even featured living vines climbing the sides. Even though it would shoot 40 percent above the allowable height limit of 84 feet, the San Francisco Planning Commission gave it a green light.

Enthusiasm waned, however, when historic preservationists pointed out that the building slated for demolition — 113 Steuart St. — was an ILA labor hall during the famous maritime strike of 1934, which erupted into violence after two union members were gunned down by police and led to a four-day general strike that paralyzed the city. "Harry Bridges rose to fame in this building," says architectural historian Bradley Weidmeier, referring to the famous labor leader. "Labor historians from around the country are going to be blocking this."

Hines hired a leading historic architecture firm, Page & Turnbull, to conduct a historic assessment of that building as part of the planning process. Yet the initial report neglected to mention anything about the building being at the center of a profound moment in San Francisco's labor history.

Former Board of Supervisors president Aaron Peskin, an opponent of the project, says the gaps in information weren't hard to miss. "The fact that it was ground zero for bloody Thursday, that it was ground zero for the general strike ... that people were shot in front of there, that their bodies lay inside. You want to know how we found that out? We got it online," Peskin said.

Page & Turnbull later submitted an addendum, including historic photos depicting people crowding into the two-story building to pay respects to the slain union members. The firm acknowledged its historic significance this time, but asserted that the now-empty building had undergone too many retrofits to comply with historic landmark requirements.

This, too, was challenged by project opponents. "You can look at pictures of dead people laying there on the sidewalk with that building in the background, and look at it today, and godammit, it's pretty much the same building," Peskin says.

The Board of Supervisors in mid-March approved an appeal of the project and instructed city planners to prepare an environmental impact report. Ralph Schoenman, a preservation advocate who says he met with board members about the project, told us that "members of the board were plainly shocked by finding out that the historic report was so flawed and untrue."

That feeling may have lingered for some at the April 21 bard meeting when Supervisors voted 7-4 to reject Mayor Gavin Newsom's nomination of Ruth Todd, a Page & Turnbull principal, to the city's Historic Preservation Commission.

WHOSE WATERFRONT?

Though the project has been stalled, the issues it stirred are gaining momentum. The picture of what this stretch of the Embarcadero could look like is shaping up to be quite different from developers' gauzy artistic renderings. Sue Hestor, a land-use lawyer, is a driving force behind a community-led meeting scheduled for June 24 at the headquarters of International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 34 (the successor to ILA) to initiate a new approach to development along the western edge of the Embarcadero.

"Threatened demolition of the 1934 Waterfront Strike headquarters at 113 Steuart has pulled us together," Hestor wrote in a widely disseminated e-mail. "The community will proactively start defining changes we want. No more waiting for a developer proposal, then meekly responding. The community gets to define how the city should look ... along the northeast waterfront. When you start at the Embarcadero it is possible to weave in so many areas, so many neighborhoods, so much of our political and immigrant and labor history."

ILWU members are joining with preservationists in the effort to preserve 113 Steuart. "We are at a historic moment when working people are under unprecedented attack," a team of six Local 34 leaders wrote in a recent statement opposing the demolition. "That living history is a prologue to our struggles of the future."

Not all labor unions agree. At a picket staged by San Francisco's Building and Construction Trades Council outside a Democratic Party luncheon April 21, protesters carried a few flew signs reading "How can we feed our kids with history?" The signs referenced the city's Historic Preservation Commission, but the same question might be asked of 110 The Embarcadero, which was favored by building-trade workers.

Neighborhood groups are also worried because the construction of the two proposed 84-foot condominium towers at 8 Washington could cause the adjacent Golden Gateway Tennis and Swim Club to lose half its facility. "Six hundred to 700 kids come every summer to learn to swim and to play tennis," Club director Lee Radner says. "To us, it's just a matter of the developer not considering the moral issues of the neighborhood club that has given so much to the community." Friends of Golden Gateway (FOGG), which formed to preserve the club in the face of development, has hired Hestor as its attorney.

Because the development would be partially built on a surface parking lot controlled by the Port Commission, a parcel held to be in the public trust under state law, developers proposed a land-swap to get around provisions prohibiting residential uses in those parcels. Renee Dunn, a spokesperson for the Port Commission, noted that the Port's annual revenues total $65 million, while the amount that would be needed for repairs and maintenance of its century-old infrastructure is almost $2 billion. In general, "Public-private developments provide the dollars needed to make improvements," she told us.
In the wake of concerns about 8 Washington, Board of Supervisors President David Chiu sent a letter to the Port Commission requesting an update to the waterfront plan for that area. "Concerns are currently being raised regarding the proposed development ... and the future development of seawall lots along the northern waterfront, and I share many of these concerns," Chiu wrote. In response, the Port agreed to conduct a six-to-eight month focus study for those seawall lots.

Meanwhile, a quietly growing problem may mean that plans for this stretch of the Embarcadero will get more complicated. A report released in early April by the Bay Conservation and Development Commission predicts a 16-inch rise in the level of the San Francisco Bay by 2050, and a 55-inch rise by 2100, based on data from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Along San Francisco's waterfront, the most vulnerable area will be from Pier 35 to the Bay Bridge, the report found. "Sea-level rise has been linear, and it's continuing, and we expect that based on what we know about climate change, it will accelerate," notes Joe LaClair of BCDC. In the event of storm surges, he adds, "we will have to find a way to protect the financial district from inundation."

As local governments begin to get up to speed on mitigating the effects of climate change, new questions — beyond developers' plans vs. neighborhood input — will have to come into play. One that BCDC plans to tackle in coming months, LaClair notes, is: "What does resilient shoreline development look like?" It's a good one to start asking now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations