HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:17 AM

Talking Rogge: Vancouver is 'blueprint' for future Games

Vancouver is 'blueprint' for future games, Rogge says

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- The Vancouver Olympics will serve as a "blueprint" for future games, International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge said Tuesday.

Three days before the opening of the games, Rogge praised Vancouver organizers for their policies on the environment and long-term use of facilities. He singled out organizing committee VANOC, which had to cope with the global economic downturn.

"Hosting the games is always a complex and challenging undertaking," Rogge said. "VANOC and its partners rose to the challenge without compromising the original vision for these games."

"That vision has established new standards for environmental sustainability and legacy planning," he said. "Everything that has been done to prepare for these games was done with the athletes, the environment and the legacy in mind.

"The lessons learned here are a blueprint for future games."

Rogge spoke at the opening ceremony of the 122nd International Olympic Committee session. The three-day assembly will examine the preparations for the Vancouver Games as well as planning for future Olympics in London; Sochi, Russia; and Rio de Janeiro.

The audience included Canada's governor general Michaelle Jean, British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell and Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.

Rogge also offered condolences to the people of Haiti in the wake of last month's devastating earthquake.

"We will not let them down," Rogge said. "The Olympic movement will support the reconstruction of the sports infrastructure in Haiti."

He also remembered the victims of the attack on the bus carrying Togo's national football team in Angola last month, and a suicide car bomber that killed volleyball fans in Pakistan.

Rogge also paid tribute to Jack Poole, who played a large role in bringing the Olympics to Vancouver. The former chairman of the organizing committee died last year from pancreatic cancer.

Rogge noted that more than 2,500 athletes from 82 countries will be competing at the Vancouver Games, which will be followed by more than 10,000 media, 250,000 spectators and a global television audience of 3 billion.

Rogge also said athletes should serve as role models and should stay away from performance-enhancing drugs.

"The vast majority of athletes take that responsibility quite seriously," Rogge said at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. "They know that there are no shortcuts to success. We owe it to them to do everything we can to ensure that the competition is fair and free of doping. We will do our part."

The IOC is conducting 2,000 doping tests at the Vancouver Games, 800 more than in Turin four years ago.

Canadian speakers at the ceremony referred to their country's hope of finally winning a gold medal on home soil after failure to do so at the 1976 Montreal Summer Games and the 1988 Calgary Winter Games.

This time, Canada is a contender to top the medals table for the first time.

"The last gold rush was in 1858," Robertson said. "I predict that the next gold rush will begin within one week."

John Furlong, the CEO of VANOC, received a long standing ovation when he was introduced. He, too, looked ahead to Canadian medal success, saying that "all of Canada prays these games are truly golden."

Rogge followed Furlong to the podium.

"You obtained a standing ovation even before the start of the games. I am tempted to close them on the spot," Rogge said. "I will not do it because I am sure you will give us 16 days of magic."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:19 AM

Too excited. I may not sleep tonight. Or tomorrow. Or the next day.

Turn the lights out at the Opening Ceremony and I may be a goner.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 7:57 PM

Honestly what did you expect him to say?

Here's a link where he praises (!?) the Athens Games
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer...ory?id=1870458

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:42 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

lol.

Dude could you be anymore of a wet blanket?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 10:10 PM
In Love With YVRthing

sssssssssshrrriikkkk

(beer cracking open)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 2:32 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:

Ya, he publicly praised it during the Closing Ceremonies according to that link. That's compulsory at every Olympics. It seems from the article that he was just happy the games managed to be pulled off without any major issues considering all the problems beforehand with venue completion. And he said that they brilliantly met the challenge of hosting, not exceeded, surpassed, etc. Overall nothing especially impressive from the sounds of it.

I also wouldn't consider compulsory praise at the Closing Ceremonies comparable to praising the planning, preparation, and organization of VANOC at a pre-games committee meeting. I can guarantee you he didn't feel the same way with the Athens planning committee at the same point considering they were still scrambling to finish their venues.

Anyways, whether the games are successful enough to be praised during the Closing Ceremonies remains to be seen, but the article posted by Mr.X is certainly encouraging.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The Olympic movement will support the reconstruction of the sports infrastructure in Haiti.
How about starting with basic stuff like housing, water and streets? Looks like Jacques had a let them eat sports moment. The Olympic Family really needs to get out of their fancy hotels and the white SUVs every once and a while.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 6:11 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Vancouver is 'blueprint' for future games, Rogge says

"Hosting the games is always a complex and challenging undertaking," Rogge said. "VANOC and its partners rose to the challenge without compromising the original vision for these games."

"You obtained a standing ovation even before the start of the games. I am tempted to close them on the spot," Rogge said. "I will not do it because I am sure you will give us 16 days of magic."
Why do people highlight passages in articles? If the emphasis isn't placed in the original article, then it shouldn't be highlighted when it's excerpted. Furthermore, I think people are capable of reading something and making up their own mind about it without someone hitting them over the head. In fact, adding one's own emphasis in an excerpt is counterproductive because it antagonizes the people whose opinions we might wish to influence.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 6:26 AM

Oh please. I don't think anyone has suggested the basics aren't needed in Haiti.

But seeing as the IOC primarily deals with sports activities, it would only make sense that is where he'd focus his comments.

I'm sure there are people intently focused on preliminary efforts to rebuild schools in Haiti as well. Would that mean those people are heartless, since they aren't addressing the immediate basics?

I just think some perspective is needed. The IOC is not actually responsible for world hunger or acts of God. They don't even initiate wars.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 6:26 AM

^^To EdinVan

Whatever you say....

I don't see what the big deal is about highlighting.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 6:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
Oh please. I don't think anyone has suggested the basics aren't needed in Haiti.

But seeing as the IOC primarily deals with sports activities, it would only make sense that is where he'd focus his comments.
Not really. Musicians got together to raise money for basic needs, not music lessons or guitars or concert stadiums.
Quote:
I'm sure there are people intently focused on preliminary efforts to rebuild schools in Haiti as well. Would that mean those people are heartless, since they aren't addressing the immediate basics?
That is not my point, so leave schools out of it. You are making a classic slippery slope argument. I'd say schools are a basic necessity anyway.
Quote:

I just think some perspective is needed. The IOC is not actually responsible for world hunger or acts of God. They don't even initiate wars.
You are right some perspective is needed and the IOC needs it badly. Now would be the time for them to step up and take advantage of the world stage to raise money for basics. A year or two down the road would be a better time to talk about rebuilding sports infrastructure.

Anyway, this makes a similar point in a bit more funny way:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news..._2216_olympics

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:18 AM

seeing things get back to normal is of great help to people in that sort of situation

look at what winning the superbowl has done for new orleans

there are plenty of people to help rebuild houses schools etc - someone has to rebuild sports infastructure may as well be the IOC

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:44 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Why do people highlight passages in articles? If the emphasis isn't placed in the original article, then it shouldn't be highlighted when it's excerpted. Furthermore, I think people are capable of reading something and making up their own mind about it without someone hitting them over the head. In fact, adding one's own emphasis in an excerpt is counterproductive because it antagonizes the people whose opinions we might wish to influence.
Often people do it as a means of pointing out 'the meat' of the article for those who are too lazy to read the whole thing (not that this is an especially large article but some people are impatient). It is a way of highlighting / summarizing key points, especially the points the poster wishes thread discussion to revolve around. It appears that mr.x specifically highlighted Rogge's comments about VANOC (i.e. the most relevant part of the article, at least in relation to the article title / thread subject).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Not really. Musicians got together to raise money for basic needs, not music lessons or guitars or concert stadiums.

That is not my point, so leave schools out of it. You are making a classic slippery slope argument. I'd say schools are a basic necessity anyway.

You are right some perspective is needed and the IOC needs it badly. Now would be the time for them to step up and take advantage of the world stage to raise money for basics. A year or two down the road would be a better time to talk about rebuilding sports infrastructure.

You took a statement by the head of the IOC and tried to make him sound like the devil incarnate.

I didn't make any slippery slope arguments. I used an analogy to point out the fallacy of your reasoning. And I'm sorry, but you don't actually get to decide what points I bring up.

What has happened in Haiti is a tragedy of immeasurable and nearly incomprehensible magnitude. An already struggling country has been devastated by a horrible natural disaster.

But the IOC is not to blame for the political turmoil that has existed for decades in that country or the recent natural disaster that struck it, no matter how badly some might want to distort them into being the great perpetrators of evil in all its forms throughout the world.

I agree the people of Haiti are probably unconcerned with having soccer fields or sports equipment at the moment. But as they are still searching for lost loved ones under piles or rubble or concerned about medicines and food for their families, they probably aren't concerned about a lot of things, including schools, which I agree are essential if that country is to ever achieve sustainable advancements.

I am sure there are plenty of things on which we could agree with regard to Haiti. But pilloring the IOC President, implying he doesn't care enough about its current plight isn't one of them. You know nothing about the man, nor do I for that matter. But I'm not going to judge him or suggest he can't understand pain or tragedy, whereas you apparently feel its completely acceptable to do so.

Last edited by johnjimbc; Feb 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Ya, he publicly praised it during the Closing Ceremonies according to that link. That's compulsory at every Olympics. It seems from the article that he was just happy the games managed to be pulled off without any major issues considering all the problems beforehand with venue completion. And he said that they brilliantly met the challenge of hosting, not exceeded, surpassed, etc. Overall nothing especially impressive from the sounds of it.

I also wouldn't consider compulsory praise at the Closing Ceremonies comparable to praising the planning, preparation, and organization of VANOC at a pre-games committee meeting. I can guarantee you he didn't feel the same way with the Athens planning committee at the same point considering they were still scrambling to finish their venues.

Anyways, whether the games are successful enough to be praised during the Closing Ceremonies remains to be seen, but the article posted by Mr.X is certainly encouraging.
Rogge's a politician, albeit an unelected one. He's not going to say anything negative. The comment's totally non-threadworthy. Its like starting a thread titled "Queen Elizabeth manages not to fart at state dinner".

After the show is over will come more newsworthy analysis.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 4:36 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Rogge's a politician, albeit an unelected one. He's not going to say anything negative. The comment's totally non-threadworthy. Its like starting a thread titled "Queen Elizabeth manages not to fart at state dinner".

After the show is over will come more newsworthy analysis.
LOL! BEST. POST. EVER!

And the highlighting issue: It's to point out the relevant points of an article. (See highlighted text above). I don't want to have to wade through an entire article to see what the poster wants to stress.

People do this in conversation, too, btw. We quote articles in speech without reading it... or while reading, we say: "hey listen to this, 'according to one study...'"

In addition, it gives you insight ( sometimes ) into the opinions of the original poster as well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]