HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:46 PM

Sioux Falls | Development

Pretty damn impressive, I must say. The growth rate has been steadily increasing over the past 2 decades as well, the future looks very bright for the Sioux Falls region.

Quote:
Sioux Falls is the only metropolitan statistical area in the Midwest to make the US Census Bureau's Top 50 list for population growth rate from July 2005 to July 2006.

The Sioux Falls area, defined by the bureau as Minnehaha and Lincoln counties, grew 2.4 percent during the period.

The area has added almost 26,000 residents since 2000, a jump of nearly 14 percent.

The area's population as of last July was just under 213,000 people. Mayor Dave Munson has said the city itself should hit the 150,000 mark this year.

Civic leaders say an influx of white-collar jobs in the financial services and health care industries is fueling Sioux Falls' transformation from a farm town to burgeoning city.

Its future growth is being aided by a 400 million-dollar gift from T. Denny Sanford, who made his millions in the banking business. Sanford's donation to the former Sioux Valley Hospital launched plans for several projects that will bear his name and expand the system.
From KELO-TV

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:05 PM

Wow, that is amazing.... Maybe now we will see some taller buildings rise in the downtown.. Make the "city" actually look like a City.

Does anyone know about any plans for large scale buildings projects that are happening in the downtown right now or are porposed?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 12:00 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

The entire Midwest region is going to continue to look more and more appealing to everyone stuck in the Major cities dealing with Crime, Traffic, Bad Schools, etc...

What would be impressive if Sioux Falls will be announcing any high-rise developments in their downtown area. The only question I can think of ; what is the highest anything can be built downtown. SF's airport is very close to it's downtown, just like Fargo's is. So I would imagine that this would have some impact on how tall a building could be in downtown SF. I heard the Radisson, in downtown Fargo, is as tall as the FAA would allow the developers to build, because they originally wanted to go a couple more floors taller.

Anyone know what your airspace height limits are around the downtown area?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 12:29 AM

Sioux Falls definitely has an undersized downtown for it's population. That's largely attributible to the fact the city has doubled in size since 1980. Downtown is experiencing somewhat of a growth spurt itself though.

A 5 story federal office building was finished last year and two buildings are under construction (5 and 6 story) right now. This summer two 6 story condo buildings are breaking ground - this is the first part of the Uptown to the Falls complex. If the market bears it well - developers expect to break ground on the second and third phase in the next 2 to 3 years. Those phases are expected to include a ten story office building and a 12-15 story hotel/condo building, along with several 4-6 story buildings. All of that will line Falls Park which hold the city's namesake - the falls of the Big Sioux River. I have also heard rumors that someone is exploring the idea of a 15-20 story office/residential building. Who knows where that will go though.

I don't see Sioux Falls having a tremendously high skyline (25+ stories) for several decades. Two reason behind that are 1) land is so cheap on the city's periphery and the city isn't large enough to support large public transit projects, and 2) Nanobison is correct, downtown is very close to the airport and lies underneath some of the flight paths. I'm not sure what the exact height limits are - but I doubt anything over 20-25 stories could be built.

Sioux Falls' downtown may end up largely composed an ever growing collection of mid-rise hotels, offices and residential buildings. In a lot of ways, I really like that idea. It would be nice to have a signature skyline though.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 1:36 AM
Honored Member

Good to see that the Dakotas have the Upper Midwest's fastest-growing metro (Sioux Falls) and one of its fastest-growing cities (West Fargo). The I-29 corridor may be a huge player in upcoming years.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:40 AM

Sweet! Sioux Falls really does amaze me. I'm excited to see where it goes from here. How long before the city hits 300,000?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 4:46 PM
World Traveler

From one fast growing metro to another, congrats!

I have no ties to either North or South Dakota, but I always find myself stopping by and checking the threads on Fargo and Sioux Falls for some reason. Keep on posting info about your cities. It's enjoyable to read
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:43 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of the proposed buildings coming to downtown sioux falls...

Or any recent pics of the downtown?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 6:22 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

With all of this awesome growth is there any concerns present in Sioux Falls, that the infrastructure (roads, water, etc...) will start to see considerable strain? Has the large amount of growth affected city budgets at all as they try to keep up with the demand? I know we just recently approved a 1% sales tax measure to goto funding things such as roadwork, flood-ways, levy work, water systems.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 7:26 PM

I'll see if I can find any of these pictures to post.

The City is actually handeling the growth extremely well. The surrounding school districts are bonding for new schools the residents are generally supportive of new proposals.

The state is going to begin construction next year on a 17 mile outer road (not an official interstate) that will be from 4 to 6 lanes depending on the area.

The major concern in Sioux Falls is over water - and I believe the Red River Valley has the same concern. The City just sold an $80 million bond to pay its share of a massive water project thats currently under construction to bring Missouri River water up. The pipeline is expected to serve the city's water needs for the next 30 to 40 years. Other than that, they city really is well positioned for the growth.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 7:30 PM

More good news too...Sioux Falls is the #1 Small Metro in the country for business and careers.

Forbes magazine just released its top metros for business and careers. The rightous cities of the Dakotas are below with thier rank.

1. Sioux Falls, SD
2. Bismarck, ND
4. Fargo, ND
7. Rapid City, SD

Sioux Falls' ranking is the fourth or fifth year in a row it's been Forbes' #1 Small City.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDetroit1 View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of the proposed buildings coming to downtown sioux falls...

Or any recent pics of the downtown?

none of these are all that recent, but i did a thread here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:57 AM

Uptown at Falls Park

Cherapa Place

Pavilion Executive Plaza

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:45 AM
Honored Member

OK, now I'm officially fucking jealous.

It's time for the leaders of downtown Fargo to get their fingers out of their asses and GET SOMETHING LIKE THIS DONE

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 11:49 AM

is the Pavilion Executive Plaza the bulding going up on 9th and Minnesota? If so these are the first renderings i've seen.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
OK, now I'm officially fucking jealous.
Jealous of WHAT? It's a bunch of lowrise schlock.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Jealous of WHAT? It's a bunch of lowrise schlock.
Nice. Personally I think some of that stuff is pretty nice.

Atlanta's got some damn cool stuff going on, but as for the everyday things - traffic, bad schools, pollution, Falcons - you can keep it.

Sioux Falls isn't pretending to be anything that it's not, its a growing midwestern city coming into its own. You don't wanna come here? Fine. But don't put your shit on us.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:43 PM

Well Said..... I love what is happening in Sioux Falls! Someone mentioned at possible 15-20 story building. Is there anything that is happening with that or is it mostly talk?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:51 PM

Hey one more thing does anyone know if the older buildings that currently exist in the falls area are going to be torn down to make room for the New projects?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:22 PM

Because uptown at falls park was railroad right of way there are no buildings on the location of the proposed development, many of the historic buildings in the area are being rennovated as well with a very very small portion coming down...if any. Yes skate I think this is the building going up on minnesota near the parking ramp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest