HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:37 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
You are right to cross the fingers, even though the tax credit got a good review from outside sources, our state legislators can kill it at will, no questions asked. Hopefully not, Birmingham needs that Brown Marx building renovated.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:18 PM

Without a doubt, it would be dumb for them not to pass it. Just look at 2nd Avenue North right now in Birmingham and see how it's being revitalized. First National Bank in Tuscaloosa was redeveloped because of this.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:09 PM

Well, Bentley has officially resigned and has been charged. What an excellent look this gives the state of Alabama *sigh*

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:39 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Well, Bentley has officially resigned and has been charged. What an excellent look this gives the state of Alabama *sigh*
At least he's gone...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 6:12 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Good news!

No fanfare for whatever reason. But Gov. Ivey signed the Historic Tax Credit bill into law late last month. LINK

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:19 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I can't help but express happiness that a second poll is showing Doug Jones leading Roy Moore by more than the statistical margin of error.

I personally do not identify with either party, but I'm for any candidate that is running against Roy Moore. He represents the worst minority of Alabamians, and is a disgusting human.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 6:11 PM

Start by eliminating that racist stigma.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Start by eliminating that racist stigma.
I don't know if you're drunk or ignorant, but none of the Alabama forumers support Roy Moore or represent the racist stigma that those from the outside place on our beautiful state.

Maybe you should do your part by eliminating the automatic assumption that all Alabamians are racist. We all have a part to play.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 11:50 AM

If Roy Moore is elected, his election will do tremendous damage to future recruitment efforts for business to locate to Alabama.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
If Roy Moore is elected, his election will do tremendous damage to future recruitment efforts for business to locate to Alabama.
I'm encouraged by a couple of new write-in candidates coming forward. Hopefully they'll pull enough votes away from Roy Moore to give Jones a better chance than he already has.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I don't know if you're drunk or ignorant, but none of the Alabama forumers support Roy Moore or represent the racist stigma that those from the outside place on our beautiful state.

Maybe you should do your part by eliminating the automatic assumption that all Alabamians are racist. We all have a part to play.
Oh, this has nothing to do with Roy Moore. It has been a stigma attached to the state well before that. Ask most people who live in other regions of the country, and they'll say the same. So long as this exists, and residents/legislators of the state get defensive instead of considering of point of views of those on the outside looking in, Alabama will never achieve the economic and cultural diversity of it's neighbors to the south and east.

Not only calling out Alabama though. Mississippi has the same issue.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, this has nothing to do with Roy Moore. It has been a stigma attached to the state well before that. Ask most people who live in other regions of the country, and they'll say the same. So long as this exists, and residents/legislators of the state get defensive instead of considering of point of views of those on the outside looking in, Alabama will never achieve the economic and cultural diversity of it's neighbors to the south and east.

Totally agree! This goes way beyond Roy Moore. The culture is self destructive

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:04 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

A lot of the residents have a right to be defensive. The ones who do consider outside points of view and value cultural and social diversity don't be deserve to be lumped into the same basket as, to use a Hillary term, the "Deplorables".

Now, I will agree that virtually all of our policy-makers have no right to be defensive when they actually wield the power to create change. But, it is not justifiable to have a blanket opinion of nearly 5 million people that exist in a polygon when there are plenty of people within that polygon, like myself, that donate money to the right causes/campaigns and speak out and cry foul when necessary, instead of hiding in the bushes and hoping someone else will step up.

So, I will get defensive when someone assumes that there are people just sitting around down here, when in reality there are many of us who have been actively working to effect change for decades.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:07 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
Totally agree! This goes way beyond Roy Moore. The culture is self destructive
It is destructive, but to make it seem like no one is working to effect change in the state is defeating, counter-productive, and pretty rude.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
A lot of the residents have a right to be defensive. The ones who do consider outside points of view and value cultural and social diversity don't be deserve to be lumped into the same basket as, to use a Hillary term, the "Deplorables".

Now, I will agree that virtually all of our policy-makers have no right to be defensive when they actually wield the power to create change. But, it is not justifiable to have a blanket opinion of nearly 5 million people that exist in a polygon when there are plenty of people within that polygon, like myself, that donate money to the right causes/campaigns and speak out and cry foul when necessary, instead of hiding in the bushes and hoping someone else will step up.

So, I will get defensive when someone assumes that there are people just sitting around down here, when in reality there are many of us who have been actively working to effect change for decades.
This happens in all facets of society on a variety of different subjects. Alabama residents aren't immune to it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
This happens in all facets of society on a variety of different subjects. Alabama residents aren't immune to it.
Exactly, we understand the same point.

My issue is that when you suggest "Start by eliminating that racist stigma." my reaction is of course! I am proud to be one of the many that are working to defeat that stigma in the state that we love. And I will never stop working to fundamentally change the behavior of the bastards that give Alabama a bad name.

Our unfortunate reality is real, it is cruel, it is utterly cowardly.

However, it is shameful the lack of acknowledgement of the work and persistence of a large number of citizens of Alabama that are actively working, and living, to make Alabama a state where ALL are welcomed without conditions. We all know it is a tall task.

In the end, if people consistently discount our efforts, the polygon we love will NEVER become a home to a properly open and welcoming society.

I only ask that you not put in a blanket suggestion. Alabama's problems are multi-faceted and not well understood by non-residents (BTW, I am unaware if you have been a resident of Alabama. If you have been, I would be greatly interesting in speaking with you one on one).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly, we understand the same point.

My issue is that when you suggest "Start by eliminating that racist stigma." my reaction is of course! I am proud to be one of the many that are working to defeat that stigma in the state that we love. And I will never stop working to fundamentally change the behavior of the bastards that give Alabama a bad name.

Our unfortunate reality is real, it is cruel, it is utterly cowardly.

However, it is shameful the lack of acknowledgement of the work and persistence of a large number of citizens of Alabama that are actively working, and living, to make Alabama a state where ALL are welcomed without conditions. We all know it is a tall task.

In the end, if people consistently discount our efforts, the polygon we love will NEVER become a home to a properly open and welcoming society.

I only ask that you not put in a blanket suggestion. Alabama's problems are multi-faceted and not well understood by non-residents (BTW, I am unaware if you have been a resident of Alabama. If you have been, I would be greatly interesting in speaking with you one on one).
I totally get where you are coming from. No one or no group of people want to be generalized especially when they have outlooks totally different from that generalization. If you felt my comments discounted the hard work that you and others do in your state to combat certain issues I do apologize.

And no, I have never been a resident of Alabama. However, I was born and raised in a neighboring state that also suffers from continuing generalizations based on it's dark past.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 1:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I totally get where you are coming from. No one or no group of people want to be generalized especially when they have outlooks totally different from that generalization. If you felt my comments discounted the hard work that you and others do in your state to combat certain issues I do apologize.

And no, I have never been a resident of Alabama. However, I was born and raised in a neighboring state that also suffers from continuing generalizations based on it's dark past.
I appreciate your honesty, and I humbly accept your apology. Not that you had to apologize, but I appreciate that you took the time to understand my concerns.

In the end, I think it is hard to know what do to remove such a searing stigma of racial intolerance... especially when many would like it to define an entire state. Voting along party lines, as many Alabamians do, is nothing unusual in the US. That is what keeps state government tilting at such a crooked angle. I think that permanent change will only come as older generations... drop off the map?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:41 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I am so glad that we elected Doug Jones. There are TONS of federal employees that are employed in Alabama, but I am most pleased that CHIP has been extended to protect our most cherished and vulnerable.

So far, I am satisfied with Jones' votes. I'm glad to see that we have another "Bud Cramer"!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast