HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 12:41 AM
Bridge Walker!

I just can't fathom how anyone could think that celebrating the anniversaries of what happened here last February is a waste of time and/or money. As time goes on it will become evident how huge it was for Canada and Vancouver. It was an awesome time, historic and not to mention the infrastructure improvements that were expedited with federal dollars that most likely we would have had to do without otherwise.

I feel sad for people that can't see the light.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 1:18 AM

Please stop feeding the troll, folks.

Here's one of the better videos from the VANOC Workforce DVD that I received last year that I found on YouTube:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
And nova9, given that I'm paying out of my taxes for this sad little celebration, certainly more than those who crawled out of their parents' basements, I have every right to comment on it.
So how much did you personally pay?

So then those of us that make more money than you, then we should have an even greater right to comment then, right?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
So how much did you personally pay?

So then those of us that make more money than you, then we should have an even greater right to comment then, right?
That would depend on how much property tax you paid the city. And if you're in Jenny Kwan's riding....

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
That would depend on how much property tax you paid the city. And if you're in Jenny Kwan's riding....
Wow. I'm so hurt by your implications of my life in the Eastside. Thanks for putting me in my place you d--che.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Wow. I'm so hurt by your implications of my life in the Eastside. Thanks for putting me in my place you d--che.
I'm sorry if that came across as overly douchey. There are a lot of great neighbourhoods on the Eastside, many with a better sense of community than their Westside counterparts. Rather, the response arose out of your original thesis that only those who were in favour of the anniversary celebrations should be allowed to comment on them. That is like me saying only those who like the Jameson should be allowed to comment on that thread.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 5:37 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 5:49 AM

apparently there is some grassroots party being organized for the weekend to celebrate the anniversary of the gold medal game...

i think its on facebook i haven't looked but they are hoping for 1000's to show up according to a news report on global

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Yeah there was nobody there!~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncle_buddha/5439967031/

I don't understand the obsessive need for people in the city to purposely try and hate on any public event. Usually the same ones who complain that nothing happens.
Wow. Now there's a non-event if I ever saw one. A bunch of lemmings with nothing better to do. Is this what's supposed to counteract Vancouver's no-fun reputation? If anything it reinforces it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 7:35 PM

Funny, it seems like you're the one that isn't having any fun.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Funny, it seems like you're the one that isn't having any fun.

Life is what you make of it, and certain negative Nancy's seem to go out of there way to be miserable.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Wow. Now there's a non-event if I ever saw one. A bunch of lemmings with nothing better to do. Is this what's supposed to counteract Vancouver's no-fun reputation? If anything it reinforces it.
I would have to agree with you.
What exactly is fun in this picture? Was there a band playing somewhere or some other form of entertainment?
Everyone seems gloomy and depressed...I certainly wouldn't look at that picture and think people are having a good time.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 3:34 AM

its about being with people not what you do

how many boring dinners or christmas parties do you suffer through? its about the memories and the people you are with not what you do

I went down there a lot of times during the games, it wasn't that exciting but it was fun with friends and watching people and seeing the goings on - didn't need music or anything to entertain us we enjoyed the crowds and talking crap while we waited in line or whatever

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 8:08 PM

Celebration of the 1st anniversary of team Canada for winning the 2010 Olympic gold. This was all organized through Facebook.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 11:09 PM

^ loll, that actually looks a little sad...i don't know why though.....

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
^ loll, that actually looks a little sad...i don't know why though.....
Now, you're getting the gist of what I've been getting at all along.

Over the top celebrations of something that happened so long ago as though it happened today is a little embarrassing. A gathering watching the highlights on a big screen in a public square should have been the extent of it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 AM

^ loll, well if there were a big concert stage with a DJ i suppose it would make more sense...but here you just have people randomly jumping and cheering for...?

Oh well, if that's what they like to do lol go ahead with it...I suppose it's more of a testament to how deprived the youth of the city are from proper fun and entertainment that suits heir age - not watered down "family-friendly" events.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 12:07 AM

Well there was actually music everywhere, a bunch of banana costumed people with boomboxes synced. Awesome!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 12:11 AM

it was not "organized" its a flashmob kinda organizing - you often see em show up at places and start dancing to their ipods

its an odd sight to see but they do it a lot on the skytrain, at the vag, the beach wherever

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 7:16 AM

The news anchor on 1130 today said she went down to check it out, but was scared off by the amount off liquored-up young people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]