HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 4:20 AM

Just a query. I don't know much about the law and politics.

Can't the city of Calgary subsidize the cost? Maybe half of the cost? Like maybe pay $45/hour/officer (from $93/hour/officer) and the organization pays the rest, for example?

Isn't there a some kind of "Culture, the Arts and Recreation" fund somewhere stashed in city hall? Or is all the money going to road constructions?

The City of Calgary should show its support to its constituency. The Lilac Festival is a tourist attraction already. This is just anecdotal though. I've spoken to a lot of participants (booth-ers?) and they told me that a lot of the crowd are people from other cities and provinces who came to Calgary just for the festival.

But therein lies the dilemma. If the City of Calgary subsidizes (sponsors) one event, then it MUST sponsor other events as well. Oh, well, I don't know. But the least city hall can do is NOT charge the organization more.

Anyway, this comment is after the fact. I don't know what happened to the financial aspect, but I surely had fun at the festival!

PS. About policing. There was an incident at the festival. Mr MMA kicked (allegedly) a guy on his head. Nosebleed Guy had an alarming nosebleed! So, yeah, we need cops because these serious things really do happen. (Yes. This is serious for me because I'm a pacifist. )

I know. Nobody said anything about not having cops/security. he he

Last edited by bluewaterandsunshine; Oct 28, 2009 at 4:43 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation