HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
What do you mean by native British Columbians? People whose descendants are European and who moved here early in BC history? Or people who are just born here? Or people who are descendants of First Nations in BC? =S

Also, aren't government services already scaled towards local demographics?

BTW it's not good to throw a few accusations out there just to make your point seem stronger.
People who were born here are native British Columbians, whatever their original ethnicity.

BTW, feel free to consult any federal gov`t dept listing in Ottawa. I deal with the beast. The bilingual ruling class of Ottawa-Gatineau have come up with a fantastic system for ensuring they have a lock on Federal civil service jobs.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:25 AM

Haven't read through the whole thread so not sure what all the to do is about, but it is BC especially Vancouver hosting the games so it is up to them to do what they see as right.

Did Calgary have french signs in 88?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:59 PM

Bilingual elite? Please. It's not like people don't have the opportunity to learn French. It's simply another job skill on top of many.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Haven't read through the whole thread so not sure what all the to do is about, but it is BC especially Vancouver hosting the games so it is up to them to do what they see as right.

Did Calgary have french signs in 88?
Yes, and my Dad still complains about it, and how they sung the anthem in French.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 8:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I don't really think that's true.

The Olympics are Canadian and should be French-English bilingual. That should go without saying.
Exactly as I feel.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 10:06 PM

These games were heavily advertised as "Canada's Games" were they not. Canada has two official languages which are English and French. Plain and simple. I cant understand the animosity towards it one bit. The fact that French doesn't have a large historical significance in Vancouver is irrelevant.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]