Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 3:35 AM
gettin' rich!

Time for an Encore

Cellshot

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
Burano looks great. People can trash the aA glass condos all they want, but it's still leagues better than the 80-90's concrete precast and crap brick condos/rentals on this stretch of Bay Street. Now that's what I call overdone blandness. Those ugly designs and weak podium street presence are the main reason why the upper Bay canyon is so pathetic. Bit too late to correct those mistakes but we can still work with what we have left and improve the streetscape. These glass towers (also add in U Condos and possibly Cresford's 1000 Bay) will break up the monotonous seas of grey and brown.
I hate to be the "bad news bear" but U Condos will have town homes fronting onto Bay. I'm hopeful for Burano's podium though.

That being said I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of those 80-90's condo/rentals replaced with tastefully done brick/metal curtainwall buildings. Many people forget that some of early Chicago school buildings were actually relatively cheap to construct compared to their masonary counterparts and employed well designed pre-fab details. I would love to see stuff like the Reliance building here.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:00 AM
gettin' rich!

Townhomes on Bay?

Not liking that at all....

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:37 AM
The New Republic

I like the town homes more than the tower, but it's astonishing that they allowed them to be built on Bay.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:55 AM
gettin' rich!

Oh well fait complete!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 12:14 PM

Speaking of Chicago, anyone check out how ugly and disliked their new Ritz-Carlton building is: Puke. Looks like an upscale version of the stuff being built in North York CC. The execution of ours wasn't the greatest, but I'm so glad we didn't get this pre-cast mess.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Chicago, anyone check out how ugly and disliked their new Ritz-Carlton building is: Puke. Looks like an upscale version of the stuff being built in North York CC. The execution of ours wasn't the greatest, but I'm so glad we didn't get this pre-cast mess.
That building was wasted potential. As I mentioned you can easily do faux historic THE RIGHT WAY with a limited budget it's just the architects simply aren't good enough.
Kinda sad considering its prominent location.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:08 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Burano looks great. People can trash the aA glass condos all they want, but it's still leagues better than the 80-90's concrete precast and crap brick condos/rentals on this stretch of Bay Street. Now that's what I call overdone blandness. Those ugly designs and weak podium street presence are the main reason why the upper Bay canyon is so pathetic. Bit too late to correct those mistakes but we can still work with what we have left and improve the streetscape. These glass towers (also add in U Condos and possibly Cresford's 1000 Bay) will break up the monotonous seas of grey and brown.
Absolutely !
Couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:49 PM
sick transit, gloria

Yeah I've never really understood the recent hate-on for aA. Seems that its based more on repetetiveness than actual architectural quality. Which is fair, I guess, but most of their buildings are quite well done when looked at as a one-off.

I walk by Burano on the way home from work and it's turning out quite nice (and imposing). A step up from most of the older Bay st stuff. U condos should be nice as well but I really can't imagine why anyone thought townhouses ON BAY was a good idea. It would be fairly horrible having your front door open right on the street there... I guess you can get away with a lot in this housing market.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:28 AM
ARTchitecture

Metroplace in Burnaby is under construction, at 141 meters it should definitely be on the front page list.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:55 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin4u View Post
Looks like they are working on the mechanical right now...

From cruzin4u at UT - Burano
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...48s-aA)/page67

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Metroplace in Burnaby is under construction, at 141 meters it should definitely be on the front page list.
Are the shoring rigs on site?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 4:01 AM
Dérive-r

A few Georgia pics I took last weekend:

Lookin a little dirty. Can't wait to see it all finished and shiny.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 7:13 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
I'm sure quite a few Chicagoians will disagree with you and lambast TO's Ritz Carlton for looking like an anorexic's thumbs-up when viewed from the side

Personally I think Chicago's Ritz is very decent.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

I'm not really aware nor actually care about what Chicagoans think about our Ritz, but from the harsh comments in that thread, it's safe to say that most Chicagoans find their cookie-cutter, pre-cast, faux-historic skyscraper to be repulsive. They also have a similar dislike for the Elysian. The positive comments seem to be coming from people from other cities, but Chicagoans will have a more honest opinion because it directly affects their city. This shows that other skyscraper/architectural enthusiasts in the world also share the same tastes, and hatred for precast-deco as I do. As I mentioned before, this is nothing more than an upscale version of (some of) Toronto's suburban high-rises.

Last edited by Travis007; Oct 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:09 PM

Anyways, moving on...The Georgia looks beautiful. Now that's a sharp new skyscraper.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:22 PM
ARTchitecture

Actually if you look closely, the Georgia looks terrible. They did a horrible job on the glass and it looks like a significant amount of it needs to be replaced. It's been sitting in that exact state for 2 months (I think) with hardly any work done.

The design of the building is great though, they just have to work out the kinks.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:49 PM

What are you talking about? A few defects does not amount to a "horrible job".

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:52 PM

A significant amount needs to be replaced?

How do you figure? The building needs a good washing, which will happen once construction is finalized. Other than that I don't think the glazing contractor has much else to do aside from replacing a couple failed units, which is to be expected on any project.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 8:24 PM

Burano awesomeness on Bay Street by Vegeta_skyline at UT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
It's not the best building in the area, that honor goes to Lumiere. But its a step up from anything on the east side of the street in the vicinity, I'll give it that much;

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...48s-aA)/page68

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada