HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 2:56 AM
Fort Collins from an airplane, plus some others

Flying from DC to Seattle last fall I stopped in Denver. Going from Denver to Seattle I got some great views of the Front Range, most especially Fort Collins.

Here's Denver:

Fort Collins:

BeyondDC: blog | twitter | flickr | instagram | Exploring urbanism and transportation in the Washington, DC area.
Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 3:10 PM
Really nice and expansive shots....

I am impressed!
Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:37 PM
PSU MURP student
My sister is a freshman at Colorado State. One of these days I'll visit Fort Collins. I've only driven past it on my way to Denver.
Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:03 PM
Take old US route 40 to Steamboat Springs, then just east of there, on the other side of Rabbit Ears pass, turn left on State Route Highway 14, and go thru Walden and over Cameron Pass and the Poudre canyon, to Fort Collins. It might take a lot longer, but the country side is much more scenic than the Interstate 80 route thru Wyoming. That's of course if you have the time.
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:33 PM
Quite amazing that there is nothing around DIA. When I went to SLC in 2010, I had to connect through DIA. As we were coming on final approach, it seemed as if we were going to land in the middle of a field.

Excellent photography. Thanks for sharing.
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:15 PM
Ground Scraper
Many people complain about how far the airport is from the city. It's about 18 miles from downtown Denver, which is not completely unprecedented. Dulles is about 22 miles from central DC. The big difference is that landing at DIA, you have a stark lack of topography or trees, which gives you an unobstructed view of the surrounding plains. 10 of those 18 miles is to downtown is also protected land, which undoubtedly adds to the feeling of landing in the middle of nowhere.
"That emoticon is the most foolish thing you have posted in this whole thread full of foolish statements." - Cirrus
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
And O'hare is 16 miles, George Bush about 16 miles as well from Houston...Just those cities are so much larger that the city has built out to the airports.

No one wants to live out by DIA, its just prairie, though the sprawl is slowly creeping that direction.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West