HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I always knew it was gonna be a yuge amount, but $150 Million for the asbestos removal...good Lord.
Amazing, but good in a way. Most of it is labor costs presumably, so the trades (or just some kind of non unionized workers maybe) working in the city will see their families enriched by a large fraction of $150 million. Transfer of wealth from 601W to da neighborhoods and suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 12:17 PM
The City

Is there any way to change that way outdated rendering associated with this thread?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 1:39 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Amazing, but good in a way. Most of it is labor costs presumably, so the trades (or just some kind of non unionized workers maybe) working in the city will see their families enriched by a large fraction of $150 million. Transfer of wealth from 601W to da neighborhoods and suburbs.
Sure, why not. I think you missed the pun in my original statement. And yes, it is amazing in a good way, especially considering I've been advocating for the redevelopment of this property, speaking privately with a number of developers and hospitality executive a full 2 years before Davies took over, and came very close in helping create a consortium of developers that wanted to bring this jewel back to life...but were always, ALWAYS incredibly concerned about the potential cost of one massive issue: asbestos abatement (which I've also brought up in this forum more than a couple of times, as well as in private conversations with fellow forumers). Fortunately, that issue is being dealt with in the best possible manner.

At the end of the day, I'm incredibly thrilled that this beautiful building is being redeveloped. Granted, not in the way that I and a number of other individuals had envisioned, but one cannot let personal bias cloud judgement, and I'm still very happy that this is finally happening.

Last edited by sentinel; Oct 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 6:15 PM

Any chance this foundation could support a highrise after the renovation? Or is this just one and done.? I understand the age difference but what about a block37 type of thing?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 7:53 PM
Urbane observer

Undoubtedly Graham, Anderson, Probst & White was very conservative (by modern standards) when designing the building's foundations, but I'll guess 6-8 additional stories is about all you could put on top. Not worth the hassle with landmarks authorities when there are vacant or soft sites all around.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 4:31 PM

I know the site has changed hands multiple times but is there any way to get financial assistance from the government to remove it since it originally was a government building?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 11:05 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I know the site has changed hands multiple times but is there any way to get financial assistance from the government to remove it since it originally was a government building?
Doubtful. Like you mentioned, it's been in private hands since October 2009. Although such grants exist for individual property owners and not-for-profits, the US government does not have (I believe) any financial assistance programs for a for-profit corporation looking to abate and restore a historic building like this one.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 12:50 AM

Helicopter making several drops today. Couldn't see what it was carrying, but the trips were just a couple minutes from the roof and somewhere east of the building.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Helicopter making several drops today. Couldn't see what it was carrying, but the trips were just a couple minutes from the roof and somewhere east of the building.

There were removing white bags of something off the roof, perhaps asbestos excavated from the upper floors?

My vantage point.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 2:31 PM
The City

I don't know, there must be cheaper ways to remove asbestos than through the roof via helicopter

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 2:44 PM

^^^ Not really, if there is asbestos underlayment on the roof you can't just break it up and toss it down a chute like you would with normal roofing materials. That would create a plume of asbestos dust. You could lower it by crane, but they don't have a crane already set up and that's probably just as expensive especially since insulation (probably what is asbestos if anything) is pretty light meaning helicopters would be relatively inexpensive to use. I think that's a pretty good guess as to what they are doing if they are lowering full sacks of something to the ground.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 6:02 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

A little OT, but...that parking lot at the corner of Harrison and Clinton needs to go. I have a rental unit across the street and would just love to see that parcel get developed. The neighborhood is getting some development further down towards Roosevelt, but I've been patiently waiting to see more action around the block (aside from the Circle interchange, of course).

I know there was a blip of a proposal from the last cycle, but obviously it fell through.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 8:38 PM
TL;DR

^ IDOT is rebuilding the Congress viaduct, a little taller and with better lighting underneath. Hopefully it will be a little bit more inviting after the construction is done. I'm not aware of any streetscaping measures that IDOT is doing, but CDOT may take over eventually. I know they want to move Megabus loading to that area...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 2:38 PM
Urbane observer

When we had four HVAC units lifted to our roof, and four taken off, the helicopter rental was $100K. Seems like you could put a lightweight derrick on the roof and lower those bags by cable for a lot less.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 3:51 PM
The City

Why not wrap the asbestos in plastic and sent them down a chute?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:32 PM

Fire I guess is another way to get rid of the asbestos.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...402467926.html

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
Fire I guess is another way to get rid of the asbestos.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...402467926.html
except asbestos is fire proof

this seems to happen every couple years

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Why not wrap the asbestos in plastic and sent them down a chute?
I was just thinking, they could be bags of gravel from the roof.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 5:29 PM

ABC has a picture that shows a lot more of those white bags on the roof, and some fire damage.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/crews-ba...fice-/1619980/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:04 PM

WGN news just reported that the fire is out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development