HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 5:06 PM

Like the Power Plant

Are there any other possible uses for that power plant? It looks like an interesting building, and I know it has a great view.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 6:13 PM
still here

I would really like to see some public use for the building because of the views. I think a museum would be a cool use or some sort of art gallery.

There's also a new sandwich store opening downtown called Gangsta's Subs. Word g-unit.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Are there any other possible uses for that power plant? It looks like an interesting building, and I know it has a great view.
I ride bike by there a lot, and it really is an awesome location. Despite that, I think they probably made the right decision, because I think it's best to keep the library at its current downtown location where there is better visibility and much better access. It's also not clear to me why Moorhead needs a totally new library, when a new one is being built just across the river, or how it would be funded.

As for other uses, I don't know, but there's got to be some way to make use of that great location, whether it's for public use or a private development.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 3:04 PM
Closed account

100-Year Flood Map

The preliminary 100-year flood map has been released. It certainly affects where you might want to buy a house in the area. The cost of flood insurance, property taxes, specials, and homeowners insurance on a $200,000 house are around $7000 per year -- ouch.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...6&section=news

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 2:32 AM
still here

I ate at Justy's BBQ in Hawley the other day and said they were closing in Hawley and opening two in Fargo. The food was very good so I'm excited for them to open.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 2:41 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest View Post
I ate at Justy's BBQ in Hawley the other day and said they were closing in Hawley and opening two in Fargo. The food was very good so I'm excited for them to open.
Good news. Justy's has good smoked meat. I've eaten there a couple of times but it's too far out to go regularly. Any idea where the Fargo locations will be and when they'll open?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 1:08 PM

ww6789,

Just an idea, they may be opening in the old Bennigan's store on 45th. I see they are doing remodel work on the store.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:26 PM

Jimmy John's On 12th Ave N

Looks like construction has started on Jimmy John's at 12th Avenue North. No sign of Moe's starting yet, but there isn't a rental sign above one of the empty shops.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:52 PM
still here

I actually contacted the developer and he said that Moe's backed out but they have another retailer lined up. He said he didn't know why they backed out.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:42 PM
still here

I've been thinking about future plans for that power plant in Moorhead and was thinking that it could be remodeled to accommodate a Performing Arts Center. The whole neighborhood between Downtown Moorhead and the power plant could be re-developed to become some sort retail and restaurant district. The first picture is of the site plan (sorry, i only have microsoft paint so it doesn't look like anything great). The rest of the pictures is what JLG Architects had planned for downtown Moorhead.

Just an idea, and I would really appreciate your feedback.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 10:40 PM

I think that performing arts center would look better on the other side of the river...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 3:59 AM
still here

Well it's a great spot with great views and Moorhead needs something. It is called the fargo-MOORHEAD convention and visitors bureau.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreFM View Post
ww6789,

Just an idea, they may be opening in the old Bennigan's store on 45th. I see they are doing remodel work on the store.
Heard Ed Schultz is opening a rest/bar there.

(Yeah. That Ed.)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 9:18 PM
still here

Library’s new point of view
Helmut Schmidt, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 20, 2008

There shouldn’t be any trouble paying for the bricks and mortar for Fargo’s three libraries, the city’s Library Board was told Tuesday. Filling the buildings – that is expected to take more work.

With sales tax revenues, donations, interest income and a transfer last year from a library startup fund, the city will have the $15.5 million to pay for construction of the new main library downtown, and its north and south branches, city Finance Director Kent Costin said.

More than $1.8 million in donations have been received, and nearly $1 million in interest has accrued in the construction and donation funds, Costin said. The city also collected $13.1 million from an 18-month half-cent sales tax, $1.1 million more than first forecast. When the bills are paid, there should be $25,000 left over, he said.

“Unless there are major changes or major contingencies, it looks as though we’re fully funded for bricks and mortar,” Costin said.

The private fundraising goal for the project is $3 million. Library Director Tim Dirks said the remaining $1.2 million is still needed.

There was one library in town four years ago. Now there are three, and each one needs to have its book, music and movie collections fleshed out.

“We are still seeking community partners to help fill that building,” Dirks said, nodding to the downtown library under construction. “One thing we’re going to need help with is that collection. That is mission essential.”

Board members spent the second half of their meeting touring the $8.6 million 54,500-square-foot downtown library as part of a construction update. The two-story facility is going up on the site of the old library at 102 3rd St. N.

Board members were impressed with the panoramic views offered by the plentiful floor-to-ceiling windows.

“I was very pleased,” board Chairman Herb Snyder said. “I like libraries with lots of light.”

Snyder said taxpayers will get “more than their money’s worth. … “It’s going to be an outstanding place.”

Richard Moorhead, president of Image Group Architecture and Interiors of Moorhead, said the building is on pace to be finished by the end of February, meeting deadlines. He said installation of windows is behind a couple of weeks.

The library should be ready to open by late spring after the permanent collection is transferred from storage and the temporary downtown library on Roberts Street, Moorhead said.

City Commissioner Mike Williams said the public and private fundraising partnership has saved money. The city would have had to pay $700,000 a year in interest over 20 years to bond for construction, he said.

“It demonstrates that it’s a good way to do a project like this,” Williams said.

Williams said there are many opportunities for donors large and small, including naming rights for the children’s libraries at the south and main sites ($500,000 each), children’s theater and program room (main library, $250,000), computer lab (south side, $100,000), and study tables and carrels at both libraries ($5,000).

Those opportunities are listed online athttp://www.fargolibrary.org/support/naming.html.

The Dr. James Carlson Library opened at 2801 32nd Ave. S in November 2007. The 15,000-square-foot facility cost $2.8 million. It is co-located with the Ed Clapp Park Senior Center.

There is also a 4,000-square-foot branch library at 2714 Broadway in the Northport Shopping Center. It opened in July 2006. It cost $350,000 for remodeling. About $96,000 was spent to buy books to supplement the 22,200 adult and children’s titles moved to the facility.

The half-cent sales tax that raised the bulk of the funds for the libraries ran from Jan. 1, 2005, to June 30, 2006.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Helmut Schmidt at (701) 241-5583

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 9:21 PM
still here

Oil Billionaire Talking Wind Power In Fargo
By Julie Holgate KVLY-TV
updated 3:45 p.m. CT, Thurs., Aug. 14, 2008

A man who made billions in the oil business is bringing his new pitch for wind energy to Fargo next week.

T. Boone Pickens is in the middle of a multi-city, cross-country tour where he's talking to Americans about kicking the foreign oil habit and tapping wind energy for our needs. Pickens' community meeting is Thursday, August 21, at 9 a.m. at the Fargodome. The event is free, open to the public, but there is limited seating available. RSVPs are requested to Greta at gdeutsch@tunheim.com.

Pickens' visit is sponsored the North Dakota Alliance for Renewable Energy, American Wind Energy Association and Windustry.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
Closed account

Library:
When is the new library going to open?

T. Boone:
Sad that Mr. Pickens has to come to ND to inform the locals that there is wind abundance here. There is a problem with the huge windmills if placed too close to residential areas. They produce a constant hum which really bothers some folks. They can be one more source of noise pollution if not properly located.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 4:04 PM
still here

One of Fargo's oldest buildings to be razed for new downtown apartment complex
Helmut Schmidt, The Forum
Published Thursday, August 21, 2008

One of Fargo’s oldest buildings will soon be no more.

The Mark Building at 400 Roberts St., which started as a Lutheran church in 1885 but in later years has offered low-income apartments, is on track to be razed this fall and replaced by a four-story, 16-plex apartment building.

The apartments – which will be called The Marks – would be marketed to young professionals, North Dakota State University professors and students looking to live close to the downtown campus, owner John Ommen told the city’s Renaissance Zone Authority on Wednesday.

Ommen said The Marks will “strengthen the urban feel” of the area.

NDSU represents “a huge new market” for housing, City Planner Jim Gilmour said. He predicted the next three years will see many similar projects as the university opens its downtown School of Business.

The renaissance authority unanimously approved the request. The project will not require Renaissance Zone funding, documents show.

The building’s former tenants have all moved out, Ommen said, with some moving to other buildings he owns.

There was no debate on the historic value of the building.

Dawn Morgan, a member of the board of directors of the Fargo-Moorhead Heritage Society, said much of the Mark Building’s historic character was lost over time.

“I’ve always liked it a lot. It was kind of unfortunate that it had to be chopped up and turned into offices and apartments. That was its first step downhill,” Morgan said.

She said if the building can’t be saved, then the next best use is to build living spaces to reinvigorate the downtown neighborhood.

City staff said the Mark Building is not in the Downtown Historic District, nor is it on the city’s inventory of National Registry of Historic Places, but it does have a history.

According to research by The Forum’s Andrea Hunter Halgrimson, the cornerstone for what became the First Norwegian Lutheran Church was laid in 1885.

The property was sold in 1921 and became the O.J. Hanson Funeral Home. Joseph and James Runsvold and Neal Bradburn bought it in 1948 and it remained a funeral home until 1960.

Fargo dentist Trueman Tryhus then bought it and turned it into offices and apartments.

At times, the building also served as home to the Boy Scouts of America and the North Dakota State Motor Vehicle Department before being converted largely to apartments.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Helmut Schmidt at (701) 241-5583

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 12:07 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

That building has seen it's fair share of unfortunate action taken against it. Like they say in the article, it's beyond repair. Glad to see this is being replaced by more housing for downtown.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:16 PM

Jitterz Coffee Now Open

It is a soft opening. Talked to the owner. Starbucks and Caribou took a pass at the location. I think it's their loss.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 7:17 AM
Closed account

Doc -- Where is Jitterz located? I did a search and drew a blank.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest