HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: In 2021, the CMA population for Winnipeg will be:
less than 825,000 5 6.58%
825,000-849,999 16 21.05%
850,000-874,999 31 40.79%
over 875,000 24 31.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:44 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^Winnipeg never fell behind Hamilton, but Hamilton has grown at a pretty brisk pace in recent years. There was speculation in the early 2000s that Hamilton would surpass Winnipeg in short order, but it hasn't yet. Kitchener-Waterloo has had a pretty good growth spurt recently too. Anyway, good to see Winnipeg well above 800K and growing.
Yeah you're wrong on both counts. From 2005 - 2008 Hamilton population exceeded Winnipegs

2008:
Hamilton 725,297
Winnipeg 723,251

Since 2008 Winnipeg has grown at a higher pace than Hamilton both on a raw numbers and percentage basis every year. Hamiltons population has grown on average of 0.91% per year. Winnipeg on average has grown at a rate of 1.48%.

Last 3 years growth:
Hamilton 0.70% 1.04% 1.20%
Winnipeg 1.44% 2.12% 1.82%

All data from Stats Can Estimates of population by census metropolitan area
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:31 AM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,215
^interesting. Have not seen the numbers you posted. These are estimates, not census counts. In the 2001, 2006, 2011 censuses, Winnipeg was ahead, and we still are. It was a big deal in the news when the 1996 census was published showing QC was ahead of WPG. I would think it would have made the news if Hamilton surpassed WPG.

Checked the archived censuses from 2001-2011.

In the 2001, 2006 censuses Winnipeg was just ahead of Hamilton.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...g&T=205&RPP=50

Also ahead in 2011:
http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...=Eng&T=205&S=3

Curious?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:42 AM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^interesting. Have not seen the numbers you posted. These are estimates, not census counts. In the 2001, 2006, 2011 censuses, Winnipeg was ahead, and we still are. It was a big deal in the news when the 1996 census was published showing QC was ahead of WPG. I would think it would have made the news if Hamilton surpassed WPG.

Checked the archived censuses from 2001-2011.

In the 2001, 2006 censuses Winnipeg was just ahead of Hamilton.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...g&T=205&RPP=50

Also ahead in 2011:
http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...=Eng&T=205&S=3

Curious?
Census is not accurate and adjusted for undercount. The above is from Statistics Canada, CANSIM, table 051-0056. Which tries to adjust for the census undercount. It’s published yearly estimating for July 1.

“Population estimates for July 1 are final intercensal from 2001 to 2010, final postcensal for 2011 to 2013, updated postcensal for 2014 to 2016 and preliminary postcensal for 2017.”

Estimated under coverage rates:
http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...bl11.1-eng.cfm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:29 AM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,215
^interesting info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 11:05 AM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,669
I cannot comprehend why most who have posted about Hamilton think it will "overtake" Winnipeg again, in population. IN the last decade, Winnipeg has grown faster than Hamilton, in numbers, and percentage of increase. In fact, if it was not for Burlington, Hamilton would have not grown at all in the last 20 years. I don't believe the GTA will have much of an effect, if any, on the growth of Hamilton. If it had, we would have seen the results by now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 9:46 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,932
^ I think regional transit improvements will make the difference in Hamilton. If you're priced out of downtown Toronto, soon living in downtown Hamilton will be a reasonably priced facsimile for commuters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:30 AM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think regional transit improvements will make the difference in Hamilton. If you're priced out of downtown Toronto, soon living in downtown Hamilton will be a reasonably priced facsimile for commuters.
I don't think hardly anyone will commute daily from Hamilton to Toronto and vice versa. It's too far. As I said before, if Hamilton was benefiting off the fact that Toronto was becoming to costly, we would have seen it years ago. It's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:41 AM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It's probably just a matter of time before Hamilton takes a commanding population lead over Winnipeg as it continues to get subsumed by the GTA.
The City of Mississauga overtook Winnipeg in population years ago. However, Winnipeg is closing in, and will likely overtake Mississauga in population in the next few years. If Winnipeg is catching up and passing large suburbs of Toronto, I don't expect Hamilton to be an exception to this rule.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 1:37 AM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I don't think hardly anyone will commute daily from Hamilton to Toronto and vice versa. It's too far. As I said before, if Hamilton was benefiting off the fact that Toronto was becoming to costly, we would have seen it years ago. It's not going to happen.
There are approximately 5,000 people per day that currently commute from Hamilton to Toronto using either rail or road. It's about an hour to an hour and a half commute at rush hour. Out side of the rush hours you can get from downtown Hamilton to downtown Toronto in 45 minutes.

The Ontario government is predicting that the GTHA is going to grow by 3 million people by 2030. It is reasonable to assume that Hamilton will get their fair share of that population growth. As of the end of last year there are almost 10,000 condo and apartment units being built or proposed just in Hamilton's downtown. Then there is the housing developments on the periphery of the city. One alone will house 80,000 and another already being developed will have 50,000. They aren't building all of this housing for current residents, it will be for newcomers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 2:29 AM
plrh plrh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I don't think hardly anyone will commute daily from Hamilton to Toronto and vice versa. It's too far. As I said before, if Hamilton was benefiting off the fact that Toronto was becoming to costly, we would have seen it years ago. It's not going to happen.
I mostly agree. I think the biggest change would be when employers start moving to Hamilton to avoid the congestion (to provide a benefit to employees).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:01 AM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
There are approximately 5,000 people per day that currently commute from Hamilton to Toronto using either rail or road. It's about an hour to an hour and a half commute at rush hour. Out side of the rush hours you can get from downtown Hamilton to downtown Toronto in 45 minutes.
5,000 commuters out of a population of almost 10,000,000 people in the Golden Horsehoe is a drop in the bucket. Those times are also incredibly optimistic. I live in Calgary near Nose Hill Park. I work in the Foothills Industrial area 17 km away. The Deerfoot is the perfect route to take, and it makes for 3/4 of the commute. It still takes me 45 minutes to drive home from work, leaving at 330. The QEW would have far more vehicles, and considering the distance between Hamilton and Toronto is about 60km, you are probably looking at a daily rush hour commute of 3.5-4 hours. You may get to Toronto from Hamilton within 45 minutes if you leave at 430 in the morning, but in rush hour, even a 90 minute one-way commute sounds optimistic for a region that is approaching 10 million people.

Quote:
The Ontario government is predicting that the GTHA is going to grow by 3 million people by 2030. It is reasonable to assume that Hamilton will get their fair share of that population growth. As of the end of last year there are almost 10,000 condo and apartment units being built or proposed just in Hamilton's downtown. Then there is the housing developments on the periphery of the city. One alone will house 80,000 and another already being developed will have 50,000. They aren't building all of this housing for current residents, it will be for newcomers.
None of that is relevant. Only population figures are relevant.

2014-17 CMA growth:

Winnipeg- 42,900
Hamilton 22,700

Last edited by Jets4Life; Feb 19, 2018 at 7:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:57 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,803
Kinda cool...Live Population Clock by StatsCan

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018005-eng.htm
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:30 AM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Osborne
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
864312 ... unless Trump gets in, then we will hit a 1 Million with the mass influx of immigrants from down south!!! Keep your pants on, this is only humor.
Turns out, there was some accuracy to this statement.
__________________
Put up an antenna. TV is free as it always was and now comes with full program descriptions for the next 14 days on each channel, plus full HD that's far superior to cable and again, it's free!(after initial setup).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Today, 4:44 AM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Turns out, there was some accuracy to this statement.
We will build a wall eventually, too keep those pesky Yankees out.

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.