HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:07 PM

There's literally no reason for it to be open now. There's nothing else there. Why skip stops on Chancellor Matheson and University for existing routes just to use the new transit station?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There's literally no reason for it to be open now. There's nothing else there. Why skip stops on Chancellor Matheson and University for existing routes just to use the new transit station?
Canada Summer Games?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_split View Post
Canada Summer Games?
if there are events at IGF, one would presume they'd use the transit stop. or at least, I'd presume that

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Canada Summer Games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
if there are events at IGF, one would presume they'd use the transit stop. or at least, I'd presume that
Yeah it's open any time there's an event at the stadium. In terms of other events at UM for CSG, it's still not convenient for anyone to stop there when there's several stops much closer, if not directly at, the other venues. And this isn't the Olympics, they're not going to need to load 10,000 people off the bus to watch a volleyball game.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Canada Summer Games?
Opening ceremonies for the Canada Summer Games which should draw a huge crowd of at least 4K that is if they are farcically still charging $75. for it, otherwise around 7500 if tickets are free!

Spending what they did on the Stadium station for only a paltry 9-10 CFL games annually and with the Bombers now only averaging 25K due to poor stadium location and lack of interest in the CFL game was a poor decision on all fronts, all aspects of Investors (stadium) including the BRT station are poorly conceived!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:42 PM

^ The old stadium had to be replaced... it was going to happen regardless of where it was built. There were too many deficiencies with the old place.

Also, nearly 30 thousand fans a game is hardly what I'd consider "lack of interest"... by that standard, every sports team in Canada except maybe the Blue Jays has a "lack of interest"

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:51 PM

its weird. Apparently the Bombers dont draw because of poor Stadium location. But its so much closer for me and everyone I know. And yet, we still went to games at Canad Inns Stadium even though it was a poor location for us.

Weird.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:29 PM

If it is the "poor location of IGF" keeping fans away from CFL it is having a pretty wide spread impact as attendance is down across the league. I didn't know people decided not to attend a Montreal home game due to the poor location of IGF. Nice to see the boycott over the poor location has gone national.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:35 PM

Poor Location= "Not within walking distance"

Location is a ridiculous argument. If we're spending public money on this, then it needs to be placed in a location to get the most possible use. U of M was really only option.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:44 PM

Yeah I get it. A significant number of people who went to Bombers games for years and years had to change the means of travel they were used to. I think that feeds the vocal minority. Plus, the shit show that was travel those first few games before they figured it out (and True North stepped in to help).

As i said earlier. It took me a long time to drive to games at CIS, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on Kenaston if we didnt go really early. Finding a place to park and walking a not insignificant distance. heavy traffic to leave. But we were used to it.

Now IGF is a few minutes from my house. So I love it. It had been built at the CIS site or Headingly, I'd still love it even though it would take me longer to get there and back.

It would be nice if they built a stadium in everyone's backyard.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
It would be nice if they built a stadium in everyone's backyard.
That is sort of the problem, with no tv blackouts, giant HD tvs at home and cheaper beer in your fridge why bother going to IGF...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 8:08 PM

Nothing but complainers on this forum lately. Nothing but. Maybe in the future when all the land around stadium station is developed, they'll use the station.

These are the sort of questions people ask during public engagement.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The old stadium had to be replaced... it was going to happen regardless of where it was built. There were too many deficiencies with the old place.
They could have put it by the Red River Ex grounds, which was a better location. Was one of the reasons for the U of M being chosen, that year-round dome over the field so that University athletes could train in winter? They cancelled it due to project overruns....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Poor Location= "Not within walking distance"

Location is a ridiculous argument. If we're spending public money on this, then it needs to be placed in a location to get the most possible use. U of M was really only option.
Portage and the West Perimeter was a superior location. The fact that most Bombers fans use cars, and the Perimeter Highway could handle the traffic flow, made it the perfect location. Even for people that took transit, it was a good location, as it's right off Portage Avenue.

Well I suppose it could ahve been worse. The original plan was to place the Stadium in South Point Douglas. Imagine what a nightmare that would ahve been. The costs would have exceeded $500 million when all the infrastructure, excavation, road rerouting, and the bridge were factored in. Calgary was going to go with a horrible locating too, but balked at the $1 billion price tag thank God.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:29 AM

How is headingley a better location for anything?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
They could have put it by the Red River Ex grounds, which was a better location. Was one of the reasons for the U of M being chosen, that year-round dome over the field so that University athletes could train in winter? They cancelled it due to project overruns....
University athletes already have year-round training facilities...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:42 PM

Good god people the stadium is built where it is deal with it! I think I've said this before but when we came for the Banjo Bowl there was no problem for us getting to the stadium and leaving it. You just have to be patient (which seems to be in short supply around the western world) but it seems nobody is happy unless they can park at the front door, be levitated to their seat and then be home within 5 minutes of the final whistle.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:50 PM

It's Like Trump and his cronies: "But emails"

IGF haters: "But location"

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
How is headingley a better location for anything?
Check you geography, the Red River Ex site is in Winnipeg not Headingley.

It would have been a superior site do its direct access to three major roads. The plan also included an exit to the north onto CentrePort Canada Way.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:21 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Check you geography, the Red River Ex site is in Winnipeg not Headingley.

It would have been a superior site do its direct access to three major roads. The plan also included an exit to the north onto CentrePort Canada Way.
Headingley, Winnipeg... who cares? That site is far from everything. I don't know why the University is a bad location. They bring in 30,000 students and faculty each day with no issues so how come we only hear people whining about the new (but not that new now) location? There's an incredible resistance to change or anything that might be construed as the slightest inconvenience. Like people need to chill. I wish they would have built it closer to downtown to be completely honest with you. Point Douglas would have been a sweet place to have a signature stadium in. Eventually people need to realize that if you put things on the fringes you end up with an Ottawa-esque situation where they have a rink that's 30 minutes out of town and now they are clamoring for something closer to the action. I think we did alright with the current compromise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan