HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 6:36 PM
-

The company I work for tried to do townhomes in Lakewood South and the neighborhood was relentless. Would have been a nice development though!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 7:43 PM

Taxis..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Thats a new First Bank and Trust if your talking about the building by Walgreens.

This article is a bit old but its the Mayors Press release on launching Pedicab Operations:

http://www.nola.gov/PRESS/City-Of-Ne...W-ORLEANS.aspx

Now on to the big kahuna of fixing our taxi system.
I know Ray-Ray tried to shake up the system when he first took office but I'd be willing to bet those old United guys still run that part of city hall like it's their puppet...may as well be mafia.

Seems like Mitch and the airport have at least been starting small: requiring A/C, GPS, etc...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Thats a new First Bank and Trust if your talking about the building by Walgreens.

This article is a bit old but its the Mayors Press release on launching Pedicab Operations:

http://www.nola.gov/PRESS/City-Of-Ne...W-ORLEANS.aspx

Now on to the big kahuna of fixing our taxi system.
No, I was actually talking about the new Winn-Dixie, Five Guys, Pei Wei two or three blocks away...I guess it's actually at Bienville. Plus we're getting that Costco, it would seem, just on the other side of I-10. If I knew how to link to posts, I would, but all this information is within the last 10 or 20 pages.(addressed to the guy who called me Mike- I think? he was talking to me?)

edit: And I hate to nitpick, but it's actually a First NBC.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I know Ray-Ray tried to shake up the system when he first took office but I'd be willing to bet those old United guys still run that part of city hall like it's their puppet...may as well be mafia.

Seems like Mitch and the airport have at least been starting small: requiring A/C, GPS, etc...
I haven't seen a mention on here of the new council requirement that all drivers be able to speak English. This should be interesting. "yeah, it's right over dere, babe. just get out, walk down to da place where they berl da ersters and den take a left"

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 9:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I haven't seen a mention on here of the new council requirement that all drivers be able to speak English. This should be interesting. "yeah, it's right over dere, babe. just get out, walk down to da place where they berl da ersters and den take a left"
Hahah..... well It didnt say the "Queens english"! lolol

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:47 AM

Since the last time I checked, our unemployment rate has fallen half a point, to 7.3%:

http://bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Out of 1m+ metros, only the two OK metros, DC, Boston, and Minneapolis are lower. Tied with Austin.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:50 AM
-

Quote:
Since the last time I checked, our unemployment rate has fallen half a point, to 7.3%:

http://bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Out of 1m+ metros, only the two OK metros, DC, Boston, and Minneapolis are lower. Tied with Austin.
And whats really interesting about what you just pointed out is Tulsa and New Orleans are the only two cities that dont have a large government employee sector. All the other cities are either state capitals or the national capital!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 6:53 AM

Quote:
And whats really interesting about what you just pointed out is Tulsa and New Orleans are the only two cities that dont have a large government employee sector. All the other cities are either state capitals or the national capital!
Good point, Tennis. Not to get political, but DC is surely benefiting from the growth in the federal government.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 1:22 PM

Walgreen's

Walgreen's on magazine by Whole Foods got completely redesigned, and I don't like what I saw. I thought the previous designs were great.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/09/w...ne/#more-11916

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Proposed-W...130755003.html

Last edited by NolaWave; Sep 29, 2011 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 1:41 PM

Walgreens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Walgreen's on magazine by Whole Foods got completely redesigned, and I don't like what I saw. I thought the previous designs were great.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Proposed-W...130755003.html
Oh dear...goodness...did you see the audience? It looked like about 10 ninety year olds who are trying to keep old new orleans unchanged...

While the design isn't terrible, it reminds me of some of the old machine shops and foundries in the warehouse district, it's nothing to write home about. We already have a million of those buildings across the city.

I'd much prefer the original design. I would have skipped my YLC meeting last night had i known about that.

Last edited by IceCream; Sep 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:53 PM
-

Im in the minority here but the new Walgreens isnt that bad, Although I preferred the old one. Guess we just need to expect uptown to continue to promote stale and dated archtiecture.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:55 PM
-

Quote:
Good point, Tennis. Not to get political, but DC is surely benefiting from the growth in the federal government.
Don't think there is anything political about stating the facts. What I will say is government employment has likely peaked so look for these cities to be introduced to the reality the rest of the country has faced!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Im in the minority here but the new Walgreens isnt that bad, Although I preferred the old one. Guess we just need to expect uptown to continue to promote stale and dated archtiecture.
I actually like this design, too. I would prefer the original design but this one has a nice charm to it as well.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 8:21 PM

Michoud chosen by NASA for heavy-lift rocket work

WASHINGTON -- NASA has chosen the Michoud Assembly Facility in eastern New Orleans to construct components of its new heavy-lift rocket, Sen. David Vitter, R-La., said Thursday.

"NASA's selection of Michoud is big, big news for southeast Louisiana," Vitter said. "Michoud is the only NASA facility that is currently ready to do the large manufacturing that will be required for the heavy-lift rocket. I've been working for years with the Louisiana delegation to ensure Michoud remains well positioned for this kind of work, and with local companies in the high-tech Stennis-Michoud corridor to ensure the area remains a vital part of the space program."

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._nasa_for.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 10:47 PM

Great news for Michoud...hoping the funding does get approved. I'm still a bit dismayed at how far the space program has fallen.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 2:12 PM

Walgreens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I actually like this design, too. I would prefer the original design but this one has a nice charm to it as well.
Yeah I didn't mean to sound like i hated the new design...it's absolutely better than the bland brick wall that's there right now.

I'm just disappointed that we could have something more modern, that would blend in with Whole Foods' glass facade and (unfortunetly) the yoga studio down the street.

The new design fits in well and will be a welcome addition, it'll just be a repeat of what we have so much of already. I love love old new orleans, but someday we have to edge out of our comfort zone...just a little.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 3:42 PM

Magazine

Oh, and what's the new store going into that shopping center where Pinkberry is?

They took over the part of the space that Chico's had but gave up. I can't remember but it had some French name on it the last time i went by and didnt' look like it was open yet.

It's inbetween Chicos and pinkberry ( i hate pinkberry... someone or the City finally painted the fire hydrant silver again. Pinkberry had painted it in their colors which was unbelievably arrogant in my opinion).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:28 PM

Its a wine bar.

And I like the Walgreens "look" much better than the old one. I can favor a modern look in some areas (it would work in areas on Canal, Poydras...but I did not like any of the old designs for Magazine Street)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Its a wine bar.

And I like the Walgreens "look" much better than the old one. I can favor a modern look in some areas (it would work in areas on Canal, Poydras...but I did not like any of the old designs for Magazine Street)
Im fine with it either way. Obviously Walgreens is going with a design that will be more appealing to Uptowners. So really it all comes down to a business decision on their part!

What kind of wine bar is going into that shopping center? I really wish they could renovate that thing... its disgusting!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 8:27 PM

Quote:

(image)
I'm assuming this is a residential conversion? (and yes, I know how to quote, people, I'm trying to save some page space).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations