HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
It will definitely hide it... from the parking garage. Other than that, we are stuck looking at it from pretty much everywhere. My guess is that the new tower will also be covered in similar stucco. Hopefully they go with all green, that grey stuff does really make it look unfinished.
So disappointing. This building had so much potential (prime location). Although it doesn't look half bad at night, it looks horrid during the day. Stucco on buildings 5+ is a no no. Use brick, concrete, glass, etc. Limit the stucco use. I agree the green is much better.

Does anyone think all the retail will eventually be filled? Its a LOT of space.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post

I think someone had mentioned that Jimmy Johns is planning to open a location there, and judging by how insanely busy the Mill Ave. location is, and the brisk take-out business they do, I believe the location at the Hub will be successful and will cater to residents and the foot traffic that the new Block 12 will likely generate.
Speaking of foot traffic, I hope that the other businesses that open on the Hub's first floor are the type that generate lots of quick trips/ foot traffic for the area and help to create that more lively environment that Mill enjoys. Businesses (and please don't crucify me) such as Circle K, dry-cleaners, Starbucks, CVS etc. all tend to be what I think many of us would consider to be "short stay" locations. But people flock to them.
When several of them open near each other (as we see all over the place in Valley strip-malls) they become people magnets due to their synergy of products and client base- and they help to generate enough of a crowd to help support other businesses such as clothing boutiques, Hobby shops, record stores etc.
I know that many folks may not want to see College turn into another strip-mall environment- and that's not what I'm proposing, I am merely pointing out that College (and Mill too for that matter) needs to attract as many of these types of establishments as possible to help create and sustain a velocity of foot traffic that is synonymous with a vibrant and exciting urban environment. It is largely this energy that is attracting these new luxury apartments to downtown Tempe- and it is this dense residential component that will help power the businesses- it's a feedback loop and it really helps to have both coming online together.
The challenge is getting major companies to take a risk and open up shop in an area that has yet to prove itself, or that has a boom/bust track record. Think of all the chains that moved on to Mill and then left in the late 2000s when the economy tanked. Granted, Tempe Marketplace did not help Mill Avenue's commercial aspirations at all, but what Tempe Marketplace lacks is a residential component- which Mill increasingly has.
My hope is that College takes off, and that anchored by College on the east, Mill on the west, University to the south and the Metro line and Tempe Town Lake to the north- the entire area in between (what I affectionately call the "dead zone") will finally come into its own and create a much more diverse and interesting downtown Tempe than Mill Avenue all on its own.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Per Apache Redevelopment

Quote:
The Blend has applied for a building permit in the Hub building at College and Veterans Way.

Looks like Dickeys BBQ Pit is moving into the ground floor retail portion of The Hub... could be wrong, but the address on their permit is 521 College Ave which is in the same area as The Hub
Let's not forget the City Hall Parking Garage and Tempe Transportation Center still has spaces to be filled too.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 3:43 PM

Does anyone know what is going in the old Boarders on mill? And also the NE corner of Rural and Broadway?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manorastroman View Post
Does anyone know what is going in the old Boarders on mill? And also the NE corner of Rural and Broadway?
Per TempeSilverFox in March:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post

- Steak and Shake - yet another burger joint is moving into the location where Borders was (or at least part of that space)
Panda Express for the NE corner of Rural and Broadway.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:47 PM

thanks for the info.

awful though

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info.

awful though
What's awful? You aren't a fan of what will be filling in the vacancies?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
What's awful? You aren't a fan of what will be filling in the vacancies?
No. I love adaptive reuse of buildings. It is the quality and section of food that will be in the area and buildings. While I am happy to see the vacanies filled, I would have liked to see more variety. You have fat burger, five guys, zuma, fat tuesday and numerous other places that have burgers on mill. Steak n Shake, which looks like it might as well be a dennys based off the way the food looks on there website, is another burger joint, that looks like it cant properly make a burger. Just disappointed.

If you guys haven't had a chance yet, you should check out Chop Shop on College and University (where the old pita pit use to be). Really good, quality food; salads, sandwiches, juices and bowls.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
No. I love adaptive reuse of buildings. It is the quality and section of food that will be in the area and buildings. While I am happy to see the vacanies filled, I would have liked to see more variety. You have fat burger, five guys, zuma, fat tuesday and numerous other places that have burgers on mill. Steak n Shake, which looks like it might as well be a dennys based off the way the food looks on there website, is another burger joint, that looks like it cant properly make a burger. Just disappointed.

If you guys haven't had a chance yet, you should check out Chop Shop on College and University (where the old pita pit use to be). Really good, quality food; salads, sandwiches, juices and bowls.
I agree, although I understand why these type of establishments open in a college town. I've been to a few recently to watch football in other states and these are the type of establishments that flourish. I expect some changes once USA Place is built. Better offerings will likely follow.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:58 PM

Isn't a Zipps supposed to be going in on Mill also? I know it's a chain, but I love Zipps. Great bar food and always a good atmosphere.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:01 PM

The new building on Rural where Tres Margaritas once was looks really great; it's housing a Starbucks and Potbelly's and is similar in style to the Starbucks retail building at Playa del Norte.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
I agree, although I understand why these type of establishments open in a college town. I've been to a few recently to watch football in other states and these are the type of establishments that flourish. I expect some changes once USA Place is built. Better offerings will likely follow.
I agree.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Isn't a Zipps supposed to be going in on Mill also? I know it's a chain, but I love Zipps. Great bar food and always a good atmosphere.
A sign on the prospective building says a liquor license hearing will be held on the 22nd of this month. Really hoping Zipps opens up, Mill is lacking a solid sports bar.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:58 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Looks great. I'm actually a big fan of both projects designed by Studio MA at ASU (Manzanita and the SRC expansion).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
THAT'S MANZY NOW!?! Wow, it looks incredible. It's a 4-star resort relative to what is was before the remodel. I remember visiting that place in '96 when an older cousin lived in the dorm as a freshman and it was a complete dump. It looks like a completely new building. ASU did a great job with that place.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 11:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:24 AM

$55 million student housing development planned just east of asu

Quote:
Tempe - As one student housing project near Arizona State University is being sold for $103 million (see story below), another is planned that will cost the developer about $55 million to build. A joint venture formed by Titan Investments LLC in Denver, Colo. (Stuart Davis, principal) and IMH Financial Corp. in Scottsdale (Will Meris, pres.) plans to develop a 220-unit/600-bed student housing complex just east of the ASU campus at the northwest corner of Lemon Street and Terrace Road. Oasis Indian Bend LLC (the Titan/IMH venture) has zoning approval in Tempe to develop the mixed-use residential-retail project. IMH owns the 3.56-acre site after foreclosing on the previous owner of the land. Plans from Ayers Saint Gross in Tempe show three, five-story and two, six-story structures wrapping a six-level parking garage with 402 spaces. The studio, one-, two- three- and four-bedroom units will range from 502 sq. ft. to 1,585 sq. ft. The fully furnished units will be part of a resort-style development that will have a wide variety of amenities, including retail and restaurants, a theater, fitness club and game room. Monthly rental rates still to be set. Construction is scheduled to begin early 2014 with completion anticipated by June of 2015. Hardison Downey Construction Inc. in Phoenix to serve as contractor. Development cost (land and buildings) estimated at $55 million. Construction financing yet to be arranged. Affiliate companies of Titan Investments own assisted living facilities in the Phoenix and Tucson markets, but the Tempe development will be the first student housing project for the privately-held company in the Valley. A joint venture including Titan previously has developed five student housing properties in the U.S. Four of those projects have been sold and Titan still has an ownership interest in one of the communities. Tony Patinella, exec. v.p. of development at Titan, says the venture with IMH intends to hold the ASU project for investment. In 2005, companies formed by Trillium Residential LLC in Phoenix paid $4.125 million to buy two of the three parcels that comprise the Lemon and Terrace site. The addresses of those properties are 1010 E. Lemon, 1028 E. Lemon and 900 S. Terrace. In May 2008, the Trillium principals pledged the land on a $6.12 million note issued by IMH Secured Loan Fund. In September 2010, the IMH entity foreclosed on the property after Trillium defaulted on the loan. In February 2013, records show Oasis Indian Bend LLC used the Tempe land to secure a $10 million loan issued by Canpartners Realty Holding Co. IV LLV in Los Angeles, Calif. Find out more from Patinella at (720) 528-7650. Reach Meris of IMH at (480) 840-8400.
http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...t%2016,%202013

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:19 AM

I was in Tempe for a few meetings today and wanted to make comments on the changes around campus. I really like the way the Marriott looks against "A" Mountain. The colors fit the area well.

The Hub looked great as well; but I suspect that had a lot to do with the sun, from behind the clouds, hitting the windows at a perfect angle. The green mixed in well with the windows and reflected beautifully. The amount of retail wrapped around The Hub is incredible.

The building with the ticket broker and Hawaiian restaurant was recently painted and it has brightened up that block. It was painted off-white and it looks much nicer than the dark color it was before.

Block 12 is massive but not overwhelming. Hard to explain the impact, but the building is build right up to the sidewalk and it looks as though the upper floors hang over College. Due to that effect, College now feels like a true small urban street.

The solar array over the parking lot next to WFA looks great. It really hides the blacktop and cleans up the area. I cannot wait to see what the Gammage PKWY parasol and new entrance with ASU marquee will look like. I hope it looks classy and makes for a grand entrance.

The area around Manzy is so much greener and I'm glad they added all those trees and bike racks. They took out small parking lots and turned them into plazas for the dorms along University. The new business building, McCord Hall, and the SRC addition look amazing. The campus is looking even more beautiful than before and filling in nicely. I hope they do eventually turn Terrace St. into an extension of Orange Mall.

Hopefully we will see more action on Rio with HFL 3 soon. I noticed construction trailers were moved onto the USA Place lot. When that humungous lot goes away, Mill Ave will look so much more complete.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I was hoping this was new, but in fact it looks to be The Grand/1010 Lemon.

None of the other corners look vacant, it would be awesome to have two high-density buildings with the sharp corners at that intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest