HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 5:30 PM

Mr. Robinson

Here is a photo taken on June 24, 2015 of the Mr. Robinson project at the corner of Park & Robinson.

Mr. Robinson by ScottSD, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Curious why doesn't the city put out request for proposals on the Sports Arena Property, MTS bus terminal, and (years ago) the Qualcomm stadium site. Seems like they would want to get the ball rolling on these prime sites to see what ideas the private sector has.
The Q and MTS terminal both would require the development of replacement facilities. I think due to this, you're not going to see them being sold unless a very large public project is attached to ensure the replacements are constructed.

For the sports arena, the original lease went to 2017 but was extended to 2020 back in 2010. I think you might see some movement on this around 2017.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 5:26 PM

I think the best location for a new sports arena is Tailgate Park. A 20,000 seat arena is a much better fit for the east village. Plus you wouldn't have to mess with the MTS bus yard.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Cage View Post
I think the best location for a new sports arena is Tailgate Park. A 20,000 seat arena is a much better fit for the east village. Plus you wouldn't have to mess with the MTS bus yard.
What does San Diego need a 20,000 arena for?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales5050 View Post
What does San Diego need a 20,000 arena for?
To replace the NFL team it's about to lose with an NBA team.

To replace the current arena that is 49 years old

To not get skipped over by major concerts who don't play San Diego because of its 14,000 seat old arena.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
That's not going to happen for a very, very long time...if ever at all.

Quote:
It's not really needed.

Quote:
To not get skipped over by major concerts who don't play San Diego because of its 14,000 seat old arena.
Not good enough. Besides, there are multiple venues around San Diego that hold major concerts. e.g. Petco and Sleep Train.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:35 PM

Quote:

I happen to agree with you. The Sports Arena is an embarrassment and desperately needs to be replaced.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:39 PM

Does anyone know if the Blue Sky project has broken ground?

If so, how far along.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post

If so, how far along.
I just peaked over the fence today. They have completed the excavation and started pouring concrete already.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

If so, how far along.
Found these on twitter from a couple weeks ago

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 8:45 PM

"New Little Italy Garage Tops Out, Opening Soon"

Video:
http://www.countynewscenter.com/video?v=157014

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
I happen to agree with you. The Sports Arena is an embarrassment and desperately needs to be replaced.
The arena is old that's for sure but the reason why it's an embarrassment is because it's not needed.

A new arena for a NBA franchise, which is not coming to San Diego anytime soon, would start at around $400M on the very low end.

Spending that kind of money to get additional concerts is absurd. Sleep Train Amphitheater in Chula Vista seats 10,500. Petco Park can hold north of 40,000. While I am sure there are concerts that would like a 20,000 arena there are maybe 5 of those tours a year that don't go up to Petco Park levels or down to Sleep Train levels. And people make the 8 games a year argument for the NFL....

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales5050 View Post
The arena is old that's for sure but the reason why it's an embarrassment is because it's not needed.

A new arena for a NBA franchise, which is not coming to San Diego anytime soon, would start at around $400M on the very low end.

Spending that kind of money to get additional concerts is absurd. Sleep Train Amphitheater in Chula Vista seats 10,500. Petco Park can hold north of 40,000. While I am sure there are concerts that would like a 20,000 arena there are maybe 5 of those tours a year that don't go up to Petco Park levels or down to Sleep Train levels. And people make the 8 games a year argument for the NFL....

I am going to agree that right now the city has other pressing matters that need addressing first like a convention center expansion,etc.

That said we get passed over a lot these days for concerts. We are losing a fair amount of concerts each year by not having a decent venue for them and no Petco and Chula Vista aren't really happening for many concerts that we never see. Not enough reason though to build a new arena (yet).

One interesting thing to watch is that the NHL was exploring the thought of a team in San Diego at some point in the 1990's and I've heard some rumours that the reaction to the new Gulls team in the AHL here might be enough to get that thought rolling again.

As to a NBA team here...maybe. That would probably require the ability to build a new arena along with a team in the NBA that is willing to move. If you could build a new arena for concerts and a NHL team then maybe you have a shot at NBA too. Maybe. But that's all speculation.

One area we probably could get a team in is the MLS. We are still the number one market for soccer on TV and the MLS would love to get us a team if you believe past comments.

No great venue though right now in San diego.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrice View Post
Found these on twitter from a couple weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtell04 View Post
I just peaked over the fence today. They have completed the excavation and started pouring concrete already.

Thanks to both of you.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 1:44 AM
SD/OC

Couple of new developments moving forward in Oceanside and Kearny Mesa...

http://www.sdbj.com/news/2015/jun/25...sa-luxury-apa/

http://www.sdbj.com/news/2015/jun/23...nside-mixed-u/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:34 AM
Babylon falling

Oceanside is really starting to step up and is filling in nicely. How many people can Viejas seat for a concert I know its 11,500 for basketball. Oracle Arena in Oakland was basically the same size as ours and then they added in luxury suites and more seats not sure if that could be done here, obviously the concourses are atrocious. Kansas City has an arena that is gorgeous downtown and of course Seattle will be the next city to get an NBA team also talks of Phoenix Coyotes possibly moving to SEA.

Was at Altitude Bar atop the Marriot next to Petco and looked out to the skyline it really needs 450ft. plus towers at 7th/12th and Market. Please city of SD pick proposals that want to go at least that tall. With some serious height along market along with 15th and Island Ball Park Village SD will really be looking respectable and you won't be having idiots claiming Bellevue rivals our skyline!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
That said we get passed over a lot these days for concerts. We are losing a fair amount of concerts each year by not having a decent venue for them and no Petco and Chula Vista aren't really happening for many concerts that we never see. Not enough reason though to build a new arena (yet).
Still not seeing it. Also forgot to mention Valley View (which seats 16,100) and Viejas Arena (which seats 12,414).

I think when you take those 4 venues, San Diego is well served in options and maybe the reason why concerts bypass San Diego is not due to venue options....

Quote:
One interesting thing to watch is that the NHL was exploring the thought of a team in San Diego at some point in the 1990's and I've heard some rumors that the reaction to the new Gulls team in the AHL here might be enough to get that thought rolling again.
Like the NBA, there are multiple cities that are already in line for any future NHL expansion. Cities that either have been working on it for years and/or already have arenas under construction or built.

Quote:
As to a NBA team here...maybe. That would probably require the ability to build a new arena along with a team in the NBA that is willing to move. If you could build a new arena for concerts and a NHL team then maybe you have a shot at NBA too. Maybe. But that's all speculation.
Like the NHL, it's not just about the arena. There is very little support for both basketball and hockey in the region. This is unlike many of the cities that

Quote:
One area we probably could get a team in is the MLS. We are still the number one market for soccer on TV and the MLS would love to get us a team if you believe past comments.
This is something! I think MLS would do very well in San Diego.

As I have said before, I think the Chargers are gone. But the Q redevelopment can still happen with a mixed use (40,000 seat) stadium for a MLS team and SDSU.

Same idea but on a smaller scale.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northparkwizard View Post
"New Little Italy Garage Tops Out, Opening Soon"

Video:
http://www.countynewscenter.com/video?v=157014

This parking ramp is going to do some awesome things for Little Italy. I love how they left two sides for residential. Eventually it will blend into the fabric of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 PM

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/...?m=y&smobile=y
Does anyone know why the sign needs to be lit up in red neon?!!
No wonder this shit goes over budget.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:09 PM

Camp Pendleton commuter rail station

Speaking of Oceanside, I was talking with someone I know this past week who works at the Federal Transit Administration and he mentioned there is a serious proposal to build a new station at Camp Pendleton that can be used by Metrolink, Coaster, and Amtrak.

NCTD Camp Pendleton Station Analysis
http://www.gonctd.com/wp-content/upl...y%20Report.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations