HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 10:41 AM
Category Five

Was in UTC for the first time in years and saw this building going up

Anybody have info on it? Rendering?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 8:56 PM
It could be worse!

The crane is coming down at Pacific Gate, the crane for Alexan Tower came down a couple weeks ago, and Ballpark Village is just about topped-off. 2017 is looking good for downtown so far.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 10:50 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
UC San Diego is preparing for quite a bit of development at their main campus in La Jolla. The Living and Learning Neighborhood will develop a large parking lot on the western edge of campus into a multi-use student housing/education/minor retail area. It will be one of the campus' larger individual projects. The architecture is similar to other recent campus buildings:

Wow, I didn't want to quote all the renderings, but gorgeous!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 12:10 AM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Was in UTC for the first time in years and saw this building going up

Anybody have info on it? Rendering?

I believe it's called Monte Verde. 16-stories, 270 feet if this is still accurate:

Source

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 3:32 PM
SD/OC

I believe there are additional buildings proposed for this site. Can anyone confirm? These buildings are in a prime spot with all of the development at UTC and the new trolley viaduct running down Genesee Ave.

University City News

Hughes Marino website

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:15 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I believe there are additional buildings proposed for this site. Can anyone confirm? These buildings are in a prime spot with all of the development at UTC and the new trolley viaduct running down Genesee Ave.
They are planning to revitalize the existing Costa Verde shopping center with more retail, hotel, residential, etc. The idea is to create a better connection to the future UTC Trolley station. It will be a much more outward-facing development instead of the existing oversized strip-mall look it currently has.

All of this development including the UTC mall expansion is making everything feel much more urban at the corner of La Jolla Village Dr. and Genesee.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:40 AM

Quote:
I believe there are additional buildings proposed for this site. Can anyone confirm?
Years ago there were plans for two 40ish story apartment buildings on that site, but the local NIMBYs made sure that didn't happen, so for now, I think this is all that's going on that spot.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:44 AM
Category Five

That begs the question, what's UTC's height limit?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:55 PM
It could be worse!

Looks like SoccerCity is dead.

City Council eliminates $5M for special election on SoccerCity, convention center
By Roger Showley

Quote:
The City Council voted 8-1 Monday to eliminate $5 million for a special election this November on SoccerCity and the San Diego Convention Center expansion.

But Mayor Kevin Faulconer immediately vowed to veto the council’s action.The mayor has until June 13 to modify the budget as he sees fit, and the council would need six votes to override.
Full article: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...605-story.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:13 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Years ago there were plans for two 40ish story apartment buildings on that site, but the local NIMBYs made sure that didn't happen, so for now, I think this is all that's going on that spot.
They originally proposed four towers, two at 32 stories, another two at 24 or something. They got approved for two at 24 or 26 and then another two at 16-ish. The developer then reapplied to lowered the heights of the tallest towers to what is being build now. There should still be 4 towers, but they'll all be in and around 16 stories.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
They originally proposed four towers, two at 32 stories, another two at 24 or something. They got approved for two at 24 or 26 and then another two at 16-ish. The developer then reapplied to lowered the heights of the tallest towers to what is being build now. There should still be 4 towers, but they'll all be in and around 16 stories.
Oh gotcha...thanks for clarifying. It's been years since these UTC developments were discussed, so obviously the details were getting fuzzy. haha

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:08 AM
SD/OC

Quote:
Thanks, SDfan. That's about what I remember from seeing the proposal a long time ago (wow, we're all getting old).

Those towers along with the 22 story UTC residential tower will add a ton of additional density to an already very dense area. UTC is about as dense as you can get without a traditional downtown style street grid. Definitely worthy as a second "downtown" as much as it can be for being developed out of a 1970's/80's suburb. Very akin to Tyson's Corner with significant office, retail, residential, and now mass transit.

Last edited by spoonman; Jun 7, 2017 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:08 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
Looks like SoccerCity is dead.

City Council eliminates $5M for special election on SoccerCity, convention center
By Roger Showley

Full article: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...605-story.html
Bye bye MLS & Comic Con.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Bye bye MLS & Comic Con.
The mayor said he would veto the decision, so I'm guessing if that's the case the votes will still happen?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:40 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
The mayor said he would veto the decision, so I'm guessing if that's the case the votes will still happen?
The council can override the veto with 6 votes so we'll need three votes to flip

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:14 PM
It could be worse!

Quote:
Bye bye MLS & Comic Con.
Without a special election MLS is definitely gone at this point. Comic-Con, no. I've been heavily involved with them since 2011 (and marginally in 2009 and 2010). The only place in Southern California the CC staff like and would ever consider is Anaheim -- and even that is a huge stretch. They would have to be royally screwed by the city and the hotels to seriously consider it. WonderCon was in LA last year and they hated it. But right now they've only looked at Anaheim's offer and have focused on getting the best deal they can from San Diego.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:49 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
The council can override the veto with 6 votes so we'll need three votes to flip
I think the Mayor's office is betting that the 3 Republicans who voted to erase the funds for the election will flip their votes. From what I had read, they objected to other issues, not the project itself. So we shall see.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:50 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Thanks, SDfan. That's about what I remember from seeing the proposal a long time ago (wow, we're all getting old).

Those towers along with the 22 story UTC residential tower will add a ton of additional density to an already very dense area. UTC is about as dense as you can get without a traditional downtown style street grid. Definitely worthy as a second "downtown" as much as it can be for being developed out of a 1970's/80's suburb. Very akin to Tyson's Corner with significant office, retail, residential, and now mass transit.
We are getting old. Haha. I was reading this forum when I was 12. I'm 27 now. Haha!

Super excited to see UTC's tower. At 22 stories, it will likely become the tallest tower (height wise) in the area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:55 PM
Registered San Diegan

PS, found a rendering of the UTC tower:

Source: https://www.westfieldcorp.com/portfolio/residential

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:39 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
PS, found a rendering of the UTC tower:

Source: https://www.westfieldcorp.com/portfolio/residential
Thanks for the rendering. Funny the rendering doesn't show any neighboring buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations