HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 4:08 PM

Progress! NBC, Lane South & Pacific Gate

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 11:13 AM

Amazing! I used to work at the navy Broadway complex back in 2010-2012 and that is such a big change.. I remember we, navy ppl, used to gaze at all the buildings around the complex. Imagine what the current sailors are thinking right now

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:35 PM
SD/OC

The old Navy building appears incredibly strong. The entire looks like concrete block reinforced with tons of rebar.

I never thought I'd see that building go, but it is going down swinging.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
The old Navy building appears incredibly strong. The entire looks like concrete block reinforced with tons of rebar.

I never thought I'd see that building go, but it is going down swinging.
That's because it was designed to be bomb-proof. I pray I don't get mesothelioma from the asbestos when riding my bike along there

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:13 AM

Pacific Gate is beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 5:32 AM
Category Five

Mayor Faulconer, Councilmembers Unveil Plan to Increase Housing Supply, Boost Affordability for San Diegans

https://www.sandiego.gov/mayor/news/...-affordability

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:01 AM

I'd like to stress to this forum that many of these proposals, while sound, do not come from the Mayor's office but from various channels who invest time and money into research. Still, I must give Faulconer and the council credit for what is admittedly an impressive initiative. But don't think for a second they deserve 100% of the credit. (Which politicians LOVE to do)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:24 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFC View Post

I love how it looks frosted when looking at the narrow edge.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
I agree. This is easily the nicest tower built in San Diego in years...maybe ever. I'm struggling to think of another more unique, elegant building. They did a great job on it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
The narrow edge is even more beautiful at night. It almost glows. I have tried several times to capture it in a photo, but it just doesn't come off. You have to see it in person. It makes for a great view while having carnitas tacos and a Sculpin at the Snack Shack...god I love this city!

Last edited by SDFC; Jun 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM. Reason: correct the auto-correct

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
I agree. This is easily the nicest tower built in San Diego in years...maybe ever. I'm struggling to think of another more unique, elegant building. They did a great job on it.
Agree. In addition to the tower itself I also like the design at the base of the building. Any timeline on the second tower which will be similar that Bosa is going to build across the street?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:12 PM

4 highrises under construction in this pic.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:45 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFC View Post

Progress! NBC, Lane South & Pacific Gate
Beautiful building!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfishy View Post
4 highrises under construction in this pic.

what is the foundation being dug? thats adjacent to the library? I dont remember seeing any proposals for that lot

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
what is the foundation being dug? thats adjacent to the library? I dont remember seeing any proposals for that lot
K1 (Formerly known as Library Tower)

They are digging fast!

http://timesofsandiego.com/business/...ntral-library/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 5:29 AM
Category Five

I remember when Library Tower was going to be 450+ ft

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:18 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
That begs the question, what's UTC's height limit?
Does anyone know the answer to this? I've been searching through City planning documents, but nothing is really clear cut.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know the answer to this? I've been searching through City planning documents, but nothing is really clear cut.
I asked that either here or on another thread in the past.

The fact that I've never heard one quoted by sources in the news (unlike San Diego's height limit which comes up regularly) I'm thinking there isn't one.

I would guess something could interfere with Mira Mar but if any projects proposed height has been a problem they've been pretty stealth with disclosure on it. I know more projects whose height was reduced due to more economic changes, financing, etc.

I know a lot of people thought that there must be height restrictions but I don't remember anyone providing evidence.

Good subject. Maybe someone else has better information with some facts to provide on it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
I asked that either here or on another thread in the past.

The fact that I've never heard one quoted by sources in the news (unlike San Diego's height limit which comes up regularly) I'm thinking there isn't one.

I would guess something could interfere with Mira Mar but if any projects proposed height has been a problem they've been pretty stealth with disclosure on it. I know more projects whose height was reduced due to more economic changes, financing, etc.

I know a lot of people thought that there must be height restrictions but I don't remember anyone providing evidence.

Good subject. Maybe someone else has better information with some facts to provide on it.
I don't know what the height limit is, but there definitely is one. I'm sure some of you remember the first of the La Jolla Commons towers' height being decreased to what we have now - and - the developer having to purchase a new radar for Miramar's ATC tower just to make that (not very tall building) possible.

What's surprising is that the originally proposed LJ Commons towers were VERY tall, including a Mandarin Oriental hotel that had to be 30+ floors. I know it happens all the time, but still you'd think the developers would know better than to waste time and money proposing a building of that scale when all that was actually possible was a structure a third of that height.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
I don't know what the height limit is, but there definitely is one. I'm sure some of you remember the first of the La Jolla Commons towers' height being decreased to what we have now - and - the developer having to purchase a new radar for Miramar's ATC tower just to make that (not very tall building) possible.

What's surprising is that the originally proposed LJ Commons towers were VERY tall, including a Mandarin Oriental hotel that had to be 30+ floors. I know it happens all the time, but still you'd think the developers would know better than to waste time and money proposing a building of that scale when all that was actually possible was a structure a third of that height.
At the time it was built we were going through that financial mess that crashed around 2008 in the country.

I don't know the exact story with the La Jolla Commons but I remember a number of projects were stopped, delayed, or reduced in scale. If a project gets reduced through public "issues" with it you can read about it online. Most of these projects get reduced due to market demand changes or more simply not enough capital to build what they at first envision. A number also fade away as someone runs out of money and another project replaces it.

There may very well be a height limit in UTC. I do think a very small part of it might have height restrictions of some sort with Mira Mar at the very least.

I do find it interesting with all the high rise developments in it for years now that no height limit has been posted like it has for the downtown and numerous other areas in San Diego county. Hell we know the height limits in places like Encinitas since they gave Scripps a pass to go higher when they expanded.

If UTC does have a height limit I can't imagine it being lower than the 500 feet downtown has since the air traffic is much closer and heavier in the downtown area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations