HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:59 PM

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
Theoretically, HSR will service SAN decades from now, which should help alleviate future demand. I'd be curious to see stats on trips to and from SAN, and how much of traffic is "local" (in-state). SAN may transition to more international flights as we are already seeing while HSR picks up the slack for travelers heading to various parts of the state. Someone here said once that airlines prefer longer trips as they are more profitable. My 2c.
As far as I know the SD leg of HSR is not at all a given, it's sort of a "maybe" if the LA-SF route gets complete and is a success. As it is now, politicians are trying to stop the LA-SF portion that's already under construction and cut of funding. Do you really think SD will get HSR, and if so do you think it will be before 2050? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but my projection is the airport will be moved before we ever get HSR here.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
As far as I know the SD leg of HSR is not at all a given, it's sort of a "maybe" if the LA-SF route gets complete and is a success. As it is now, politicians are trying to stop the LA-SF portion that's already under construction and cut of funding. Do you really think SD will get HSR, and if so do you think it will be before 2050? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but my projection is the airport will be moved before we ever get HSR here.
Who knows. I think the portion between LA and SF will get built for sure, despite the politics. Reason being there is too much real estate interest inland and need for growth. The Pacific Surfliner (3rd busiest corridor in U.S.) with all the current double-tracking will speed things up between SD and LA.

So no, I don't think we'll ever get it down here, and if we do, San Diego will be underwater by then

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogt3 View Post
Runway length is not an issue. Maybe 20 years ago it was, but airlines can run 400+ pax flights out of SAN on several modern aircraft - 777s, 787s, 350s, etc, and even some older ones (767, 330, 340.) SAN can accommodate any aircraft except the A380, which honestly no airline would fly there even if they could.

24 operations: Gatwick has restrictions on operation from 23:00 until 6:00, much like SAN. According to Gatwick's website, they had 280,000 aircraft movements in 2016. Only 14,000 of those (5%) depart/arrive between 23:00 and 6:00. I can't find exact data, but my personal experience with Gatwick is that those night flights are often cargo. I just looked at overnight traffic for the last two days, and even during busy summer season, there were.... zero passenger departures during those hours. I can see only one landing from yesterday from Cuba at 5:15, which would be allowed at SAN as well. The fact is, if we assume half of all movements are landings (they better be ), then at minimum, 97.5% of Gatwick's passengers fly during normal SAN operating hours.

SAN can grow to Gatwick levels of pax on a single runway, which represents 2-3 decades of projected use, simply by replacing 30 seat aircraft with 300 seat aircraft. And that will happen, when demand is there. And that's without considering other factors. High speed rail and autonomous ground transport will probably decrease airport utilization, and new air traffic control systems will increase the frequency of aircraft movements, increasing the number of aircraft that each runway can handle:

Combining all of these factors, its easy to see why the billion dollars investment in SAN was made: the location will have adequate capacity well into the future.

I know air crashes are rare but I'm still concerned one day the city is going to see something like the 1978 crash but with much more damage.

Despite the 500 foot height limit San Diego's downtown has become far to built up and dense to not think having an airport so close is a terrible location and that it's only a matter of time before the luck runs out again and something bad happens.

Pilots at best find it a challenging airport at worst one that makes them nervous.

I remember commenting to a pilot friend about how spectacular the view is when arriving at SD airport and him telling me well you're not the one landing a plane in it. Lol

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:52 AM

Quote:

So no, I don't think we'll ever get it down here, and if we do, San Diego will be underwater by then
You can see here: http://inewsource.org/2016/12/05/fut...ood-san-diego/. What rising water levels would look like.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:02 PM

Cool, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
I know air crashes are rare but I'm still concerned one day the city is going to see something like the 1978 crash but with much more damage.

Despite the 500 foot height limit San Diego's downtown has become far to built up and dense to not think having an airport so close is a terrible location and that it's only a matter of time before the luck runs out again and something bad happens.

Pilots at best find it a challenging airport at worst one that makes them nervous.

I remember commenting to a pilot friend about how spectacular the view is when arriving at SD airport and him telling me well you're not the one landing a plane in it. Lol
Good point. What I was trying to convey in my previous posts, albeit probably not very clearly, is that all these "little" things start to add up. The one runway. The short runway. The urban location. The topography that presents challenging landings. I realize people can pick apart each one and make justifications on how it's "doable," but at some point it has to be asked how viable this location will co tinue to be as the city continues to grow. Speaking of plane accidents, wasn't it Mike Pence's plane that slid off the runway at Laguardia recently? Laguardia has a short runway at 7000ft, I believe SAN is only a couple thousand ft longer at around 9000 ft. It's not pleasant to think about and maybe the danger is minimal but it is there

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:18 PM

The 10 Most Difficult Airports for Pilots in the U.S.
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/a...n-the-u-s.html

SAN #9, right behind LaGuardia at #7.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:48 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
In the future we might see buildings above 500' rise in the UTC area and Mission Valley.
Ha! No we won't. Miramar keeps the UTC skyline in check, and MV has strict height limits in place.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:39 PM

Anyone with some new pics of downtown development? Its been a while since this forum has shown some progress pics.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:17 AM

Does national city have a building height limit?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:29 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemamma View Post
Anyone with some new pics of downtown development? Its been a while since this forum has shown some progress pics.
San Diego always get sidetracked with our bimonthly height limit/airport discussion

But seriously, I hope someone goes out during Comic-Con for pictures. I'm always fascinated by the giant advertisements and interesting sights around town during the convention.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 8:58 PM

7th & Market (Ritz) scheduled for trial in Oct.

http://dcpcsd.com/wp-content/uploads...ng-Minutes.pdf

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
San Diego always get sidetracked with our bimonthly height limit/airport discussion

But seriously, I hope someone goes out during Comic-Con for pictures. I'm always fascinated by the giant advertisements and interesting sights around town during the convention.
Yea, I've been a lurker here for quite a while and this topic has come up like half a dozen times. The same points just get recycled.

Anyway, I work in Downtown this weekend, I'll see if I can snap some pictures. I noticed that just within this past week, something in the Makers Quarter project along F street started construction.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 2:16 AM

Just wondering but how many stories is San Diego's tallest building and is a new tallest on the horizon?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 7:02 AM
SD/OC

Tallest by floor count is 45 stories. Tallest by height is 500ft. All buildings in DTSD are capped at 500ft due to proximity to SAN. There is no new "tallest " on the horizon as we have already built to the max height limit. Unless the rules change there will only be additional " tallest " buildings, but nothing setting a new record.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 3:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

An excellent view of DT. Can see some cranes. From late June. Recommend full screen.

Video Link

What a beautiful city you guys have.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Who knows. I think the portion between LA and SF will get built for sure, despite the politics. Reason being there is too much real estate interest inland and need for growth. The Pacific Surfliner (3rd busiest corridor in U.S.) with all the current double-tracking will speed things up between SD and LA.

Much more important for a connection to LAX are the two extensions of the LA Metro Green line. There's already a rail connection from San Diego to Norwalk / Santa Fe Springs, and the Green line should connect from there directly to LAX much sooner than high speed rail will be built to San Diego. The connection would likely be faster, too, since high speed rail will only take you to Union Station, from which you'd have to take the (under construction extension of the) Blue line and transfer to the Green line, or the (under construction extension of the) Expo line and transfer to the (under construction) Crenshaw line.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:06 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
An excellent view of DT. Can see some cranes. From late June. Recommend full screen.

Video Link

What a beautiful city you guys have.
Great video, San Diego has one of the best views for landings. The left side of the plane is pretty good too with the views of Balboa Park, but this side is my favorite.

I had to pause it multiple times just to take in the foreground and background. Lots of construction!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:11 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
Much more important for a connection to LAX are the two extensions of the LA Metro Green line. There's already a rail connection from San Diego to Norwalk / Santa Fe Springs, and the Green line should connect from there directly to LAX much sooner than high speed rail will be built to San Diego. The connection would likely be faster, too, since high speed rail will only take you to Union Station, from which you'd have to take the (under construction extension of the) Blue line and transfer to the Green line, or the (under construction extension of the) Expo line and transfer to the (under construction) Crenshaw line.
As long as they upgrade Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs to an Amtrak station. It's currently just a Metrolink station, right? Which means you'd have to take the Green Line from LAX to Norwalk, Metrolink to Fullerton or Anaheim or Oceanside, then Amtrak or maybe the COASTER to San Diego.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations