HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
And uh-oh...the battle for the convention center is going to get ugly:

Convention hotel developer to city of San Diego: Back off
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...016-story.html

“Despite the fact that the City's and the Corporation's default (on payment obligations)..."

Very nicely done. This city's geography is possibly the best in the world but the way this unique opportunity is continually squandered is equal parts frustrating and embarrassing. Assuming this is accurate, pay your effing bills, San Diego.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 7:53 AM
Category Five

Waste of land but don't think the council could do anything about it:

Televangelist's proposal for religious retreat in Mission Valley wins approval
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...017-story.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Waste of land but don't think the council could do anything about it:

Televangelist's proposal for religious retreat in Mission Valley wins approval
Hugo, the Council approved this 7-2 on the basis of property rights (fine). The dissenting members were Ward and Gomez (both gay), who obviously objected on the basis of their paranoid constituency (LGBTQxyz..) since the developer, Cerullo, (a Pentecost) believes in the infallibility of the Bible (i.e. homosexuality is a sin). So much for separation of Church and State.

Meanwhile, to demonstrate the ineptitude of the Council, they are trying to find ways to limit property rights (uhhh) against those who wish to rent out their homes (hence the whole AirBnB debacle).

Obviously, the City is desperate for any revenue it can get its hands on. Maybe that's what you meant?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...018-story.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post

“Despite the fact that the City's and the Corporation's default (on payment obligations)..."

Very nicely done. This city's geography is possibly the best in the world but the way this unique opportunity is continually squandered is equal parts frustrating and embarrassing. Assuming this is accurate, pay your effing bills, San Diego.
I feel bad for the guys trying to build this thing (Green and Co.). They went to great lengths to cooperate with the City. Sorry to say that if the upcoming November 2018 ballot measure passes, 5th Ave. Landing is SoL, thanks to a recent California Supreme Court ruling allowing for citizen initiatives to pass with just a simple majority. Since initiatives have the full weight of the California Constitution, not much these guys can do here. Obviously, the initiative (created by hoteliers and "other stakeholders") is being co-opted by the City to push through with the CC expansion. Trust me, they won't proceed until they know the ballot passes or not.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:14 PM

Eastdil issued an RFP for the Horton Plaza site to interested bidders. It suggests the site is completely redevelopable, as either retail, residential, office or hotel. 3.2 million square feet buildable. Horton Plaza's days may be numbered, arguably a very good thing.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
I feel bad for the guys trying to build this thing (Green and Co.). They went to great lengths to cooperate with the City. Sorry to say that if the upcoming November 2018 ballot measure passes, 5th Ave. Landing is SoL, thanks to a recent California Supreme Court ruling allowing for citizen initiatives to pass with just a simple majority. Since initiatives have the full weight of the California Constitution, not much these guys can do here. Obviously, the initiative (created by hoteliers and "other stakeholders") is being co-opted by the City to push through with the CC expansion. Trust me, they won't proceed until they know the ballot passes or not.
Absolutely, and it sucks that this sort of BS is so possible here.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 7:30 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackertastik View Post
Eastdil issued an RFP for the Horton Plaza site to interested bidders. It suggests the site is completely redevelopable, as either retail, residential, office or hotel. 3.2 million square feet buildable. Horton Plaza's days may be numbered, arguably a very good thing.
Huh, this is interesting news. Do you have a link?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackertastik View Post
Awesome if true. BOLO for a RFP re: the old courthouse. That should be huge, too.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Awesome if true. BOLO for a RFP re: the old courthouse. That should be huge, too.
Im an idiot and cant figure out how to attached an image...so here is the text:

Horton Plaza (the “Property”) presents the unique opportunity to acquire one of Downtown San Diego’s most iconic assets with long-term redevelopment potential for up to ~3.2 million square feet of urban, mixed-use development. The Property is being offered unencumbered of existing debt to a select group of investors on an “As Is” basis. All inquiries should be directed to Eastdil Secured (“Exclusive Advisor”).

INVESTMENT HIGHLIGHTS

Landmark Acquisition Opportunity
Opportunity to acquire one of San Diego’s most recognizable assets with significant potential for long-term redevelopment.

Planned for up to ~3.2 Million Square Feet
Zoning allows for up to ~3.2 million square feet of urban, mixed-use development with a variety of uses including (but not limited to) residential, office, and hospitality.

Existing Shopping Mall Serves as Downtown San Diego’s Retail Hub
The Property currently encompasses a 5-level retail shopping mall measuring ~732,000 square feet, and two adjacent parking structures totaling ~2,726 stalls.

Irreplaceable Land Site Covering Nearly Six City Blocks
Horton Plaza is situated on ~10 acres in the heart of Downtown San Diego immediately adjacent to the historic Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego’s core for shopping, dining, entertainment and hospitality.

In-Place Cash Flow Provides an Attractive Covered-Land Opportunity
Substantial in-place net operating income allows an investor near term cash flow while preparing for development, creating an attractive covered-land opportunity.

PS

The old courthouse RFP, I agree, is also going to be amazing. Some really neat ideas floating around, but most all include a very dense program, and engaging walk streets with pedestrian connection from little italy to Broadway.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:46 PM

Gensler was designing the Horton Plaza renovation, apparently the renovations were too cost prohibitive so they scrapped the Mall Makeover idea, so that would clear the way for this recent Horton Plaza RFP.

I think it's great news--whatever stores that are left in the mall can relocate to vacant storefronts around gaslamp and create a better mix of commercial and retail businesses at the street level instead of letting the area be dominated by bars and restaurants.

If the Block or whatever it is called (between C street and Broadway, 7th and 8th) ever starts construction, the end of Horton Plaza could actually allow C Street and Broadway to evolve into a more retail oriented corridor.

Broadway and C street need a shot in the arm--Horton Plaza's closure might actually help those street fronts evolve.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post

If the Block or whatever it is called (between C street and Broadway, 7th and 8th) ever starts construction, the end of Horton Plaza could actually allow C Street and Broadway to evolve into a more retail oriented corridor.

I drove by that lot today and noticed it was fenced off. Last time I drove buy it, there was no fence. Then again, the California Theatre has been fenced off for over a year with no sign of construction, so who knows if it means anything.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 12:58 AM
Category Five

Skyline shot from out in the ocean (not mine, from Reddit):

https://i.redd.it/pd2zzg61i8tz.jpg

We got a lot of gaps to fill!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Skyline shot from out in the ocean (not mine, from Reddit):

https://i.redd.it/pd2zzg61i8tz.jpg

We got a lot of gaps to fill!
just wish theyd allow taller buildings to the south, our skyline is hardly noticeable entering the bay

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:53 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
just wish theyd allow taller buildings to the south, our skyline is hardly noticeable entering the bay
I'm crossing my fingers that Chula Vista's bayfront will help a bit, but with a 300' range they're angling for I'm just like

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:40 AM

Here's a notice from MTS about their project to build a trolley stop at the Courthouse:

https://www.sdmts.com/inside-mts-cur...uction-project

It mentions that the Orange line will use the stop, but not the Blue Line.

Then, here's an article from the SDUT that mentions a layover stations.
Quote:
"Court, sheriff opposed MTS plan to build trolley station at courthouse"
Greg Moran

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...018-story.html
Does anyone know what layover stations are? I imagine a layover station to be an extra track on the side so that the Blue Line can pass when Orange line trolley's are stopped in the station. Maybe that means that C Street will be closed to automobile traffic at this trolley stop?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:06 AM
Category Five

I would guess it's one with two tracks where one trolley can wait while the other one comes in...kinda like how it is in the San Ysidro station

Do we have any renders of the station?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
I would guess it's one with two tracks where one trolley can wait while the other one comes in...kinda like how it is in the San Ysidro station

Do we have any renders of the station?
When they were awarded the money for it 2 years ago they only had this super simple rendering of it.

https://www.sdmts.com/inside-mts/new...thouse-trolley

Not much to go on.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:37 AM
Category Five

Alibaba founder and owner of the San Diego Lacrosse team just bought 49% of the Brooklyn Nets with plans to buy a majority in 4 years:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...027-story.html

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Alibaba founder and owner of the San Diego Lacrosse team just bought 49% of the Brooklyn Nets with plans to buy a majority in 4 years:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...027-story.html
The Nets rebranded and relocated to a spiffy new arena just a few years ago (and the article even states "...the team is expected to negotiate a new long-term lease at the Barclays Center) but they're going to drop all that and move to a city which is completely incapable and/or unwilling to build sports facilities?

Could Nets move here? No.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Hugo, the Council approved this 7-2 on the basis of property rights (fine). The dissenting members were Ward and Gomez (both gay), who obviously objected on the basis of their paranoid constituency (LGBTQxyz..) since the developer, Cerullo, (a Pentecost) believes in the infallibility of the Bible (i.e. homosexuality is a sin). So much for separation of Church and State.
Yeah I'm not going to let this bit of BS pass without comment. How can you say the gay community is paranoid when they've been oppressed by the Christian church for a 1500 years and even today the Christians are trying to strip them of their rights in every state? All your unfounded claims show me is your own bias and paranoia. You're also being disingenuous because if the tables were turned and the developer wanted to build gay retreat and two Christian council members voted no I doubt you'd be complaining about the separation between church and state. But even that is not the same thing because Morris Cerullo and his so-called ministry is very questionable to say the least. He's been accused of tax evasion and since he passes himself off as a 'faith healer' a number of people have died after they stopped taking their meds or seeking medical care because they believed him. I don't care what he believes about homosexuality. He is a dangerous fraud and the city council should oppose his efforts to prey on people. It's shameful that more members didn't vote no.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations