HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:56 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Calgary traditionally always decides provincial elections.

Being in Calgary for the past 16 years, I have become unaware of the political forces in Edmonton.

I expect Calgary will be the battle ground but for not so obvious reasons.

I expect the following to occur for the next provincial election:
- Brian Pincott (current W11 councillor for Calgary) will run in Calgary-Mountainview as the NDP candidate, a long time Liberal seat.
- Ward 11 is mainly represented by Calgary-Buffalo, however with Kathleen Ganley holding a cabinet position she is unlikely to be unseated.
- Currently Calgary-Elbow is held by Greg Clark. I expect Kent Hehr to return to provincial politics and run in Calgary-Elbow as the NDP candidate. Hehr can't run in Buffalo because that's Ganley's position.
- Andre Chabot will most likely lose the mayoral race to Nenshi. Chabot would be a good UCP challenger to Robyn Luff in Calgary-East. In 2015 Calgary-East was an NDP win due to vote splitting.
- I suspect that 1 or more Calgary Councillor's will also move into the Provincial space for 2019 election.

So what do things look like in Edmonton? Any federal or municipal politicians that could move to the provincial scene.
Only one I can think of is Rona Ambrose but that seems unlikely.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:39 PM

I actually see a lot of overlap between the new Wildrose Party (aka UCP) and the Alberta Party for the time being. I kind of feel if the next election resulted in a minority government for either the NDP or UCP, the Alberta Party would bend to their traditional PC roots to throw Albertans under the bus by propping up the UCP. I hope I am proven wrong.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:06 PM
HVAC guru

Brian Jean pledges 2.6 billion in cuts if he gets elected

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/brian...576/story.html

He specifically goes after managers.. this should be interesting. My better half is an assistant director with the province. Maybe we'll be moving to BC sooner than we thought!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:17 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:48 AM

I see a direct attack on teachers, nurses, and professors. This is dog whistle politics at its finest.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:49 PM
HVAC guru

So interim UCP leader Nathan Cooper says his socially conservative views have moderated since his stint with the Canada Family Action group.. We'll see, I firmly believe that most people do change and evolve their beliefs over time (well, most do) there are some nutters who'll challenge his moderated stance though. We'll see how he handles it

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
I see a direct attack on teachers, nurses, and professors. This is dog whistle politics at its finest.
If it is anything like before. The cuts will not be the visible front line people but the services people that do not get seen. Maintenance, clerical, etc.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:59 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:08 PM
HVAC guru

I was brought to Calgary from BC by my company in 2000 to work on capital projects for the Calgary Health Region, and I spent the better part of five years working on projects to correct the deferred maintenance and lifecycle replacements in hospitals in Calgary and Edmonton. Things were really bad in the facilities at that time and I still don't think they've fully recovered. I sure hope we're not headed down that road again

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 12:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ I agree to an extent, can the vitriolic hatred of the NDP be enough to compel conservatives to look past their differences, and wash the fringe elements out of the party to unite to defeat the NDP? I think there's a large contingent out there that are actually quite happy with how the NDP has handled the past few years, enough so that there is legitimate opposition to the UCP.

A lot of the hatred of th NDP is also rooted in mysogyny. Many hate Notley because she's a woman. It's ugly and I hope those voices are drowned out
"A lot of the hatred of th NDP is also rooted in mysogyny. Many hate Notley because she's a woman."

That is quite a statement - is this based on any factual research or is this just your opinion based on ....?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 1:33 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
"A lot of the hatred of th NDP is also rooted in mysogyny. Many hate Notley because she's a woman."

That is quite a statement - is this based on any factual research or is this just your opinion based on ....?
It is something I have witnessed amongst some opponents but not enough polling data or any such to make any broad statements.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
It is something I have witnessed amongst some opponents but not enough polling data or any such to make any broad statements.
To say "a lot" of the dislike of the NDP is due to misogyny is ridiculous. A lot of the dislike is due to NDP policies which many Albertans don't agree with - especially the carbon tax, which is very unpopular and was a major policy of the ndp that was not discussed during the election as part of their policy platform.

If a few rude people, who constitute a very very small percentage of the electorate make disparaging comments about the premier based on her gender then that is unfortunate but it is disingenuous to state that "a lot" of the "hatred" is because of misogyny.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Charges of misogyny are getting to be an old Canard thrown around by partisans..... you don't like Alison Redford because she's a woman, you don't like Christy Clarke because she's a woman, you don't like Kathleen Wynne because she's a (Lesbian) woman..... I like Notly as a premier, I don't like her inexperienced cabinet ministers, I don't like her party, I don't like many of her policies, I won't be voting NDP.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:11 PM

My vote was a protest vote against the governing party in 2015. My vote in 2019 will be a protest vote against the current governing party.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 5:36 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post

Google "mysogyny in politics" and you'd find plenty of reading material

I have several female friends who've run for office over the years, I've heard about it first hand

You can see the attitudes of many Albertans towards female politician clear as day if you pay attention to any social media platform

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:08 PM
HVAC guru

A timely piece in the Calgary Herald that relates to the conversation in the last few posts

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...281/story.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:36 PM
HVAC guru

Kinda rich that Derek Fildebrandt thinks it's okay to rent out his taxpayer funded apartment for personal profit on airbnb and sluffs it off as something "young people do". That guy has always been an ignorant asshole.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
A timely piece in the Calgary Herald that relates to the conversation in the last few posts

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...281/story.html
Don't know much about Joanne Bernard, but I have a couple of friends who are journalists, that I follow on Twitter, who know more about Nova Scotia politics. They didn't have anything good to say about her, but it had more to do with how she related to people and her policies. Their dislike of her had nothing to do with her gender.

Regards,
Steve

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:54 PM

Jason Kenney just became the first UCP leader.

Kenney: 61.1%
Jean: 31.5%
Switzer: 7.3%

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Jason Kenney just became the first UCP leader.

Kenney: 61.1%
Jean: 31.5%
Switzer: 7.3%
Too bad. Here's hoping his socially regressive obsessions combined with the Wild Rose extremists cause the party to self destruct.

Can the real intelligent Alberta conservatives please stand up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia