HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...sEnabled=false

Barclays Center arena will change Brooklyn forever
'This is the first truly 21st-century building in New York City': Bruce Ratner

By Jason Sheftell
March 30, 2012

Quote:
Even in midconstruction, there are moments touring the Barclays Center in Prospect Heights when you can’t help but feel extreme joy. It’s like walking the Empire State Building, I imagine, when the thing was all girders and steel. You just know this building will change New York City and the borough of Brooklyn forever. No longer will Brooklyn play second fiddle to Manhattan, or any other city such as Chicago or Miami.

It’s not just that pro sports are back in the borough for the first time since 1957; it’s the arena’s shape, design, intent, location, housing, public space and stubborn persistence it took to get this here. There are 11 subway lines and the Long Island Rail Road flowing underneath. Over 6,400 housing units will back the arena, with 2,200 units affordable. How can anyone argue with that? I guarantee the first time anyone sets foot near or inside this building, opening on Sept. 28 with a Jay-Z concert, they will get goosebumps.

“I don’t think people who know about this visual oculus can even grasp how advanced it will be,” says Chris Sharples, a partner at SHoP. “The interesting challenge was making this big hunk of architecture mesh with brownstone Brooklyn, the mall across the street and downtown. The big move was this gesture of stretching the arena out with the cantilever. When you come right off the subway entrance, you’ll look up into the sky through this circle.”

“It’s going to be an urban technological masterpiece, but it’s also going to be really cool to walk around this place,” says Gregg Pasquarelli, a partner at SHoP. “It’s about the user experience. It’s going to be this black box inside. Like a theater. The verticality of the seats as they rise means everyone is going to be right on top of the court. When the Nets get good, the place is going to hop.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:23 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Couldn't agree more. This will be a sort of lure so that more development can occur in Brooklyn. Queens could use a lift as well.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:36 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/ny...-brooklyn.html

Impact of Atlantic Yards, for Good or Ill, Is Already Felt

By JOSEPH BERGER
April 16, 2012

Quote:
The battle over Atlantic Yards has already raged longer than the Civil War, with eight years of protests, petitions and lawsuits seeking to halt a project that promised to reshape the heart of Brooklyn. Even now, as the oyster-shaped basketball arena that will anchor a 22-acre housing and office complex rises against the low-slung Brooklyn skyline, die-hard opponents are still resisting.

But almost six months before the Barclays Center opens its doors to the Nets, Brooklyn’s first major professional sports team since the lamented Dodgers, the reality is that the Atlantic Yards project has already done the very thing that critics feared and supporters promoted: transform surrounding neighborhoods prized for their streets of tree-lined brownstones and low-key living.

Shops along the workaday stretch of Flatbush Avenue south of the arena that for generations sold unglamorous products like hardware, paint, plumbing supplies, prescription drugs, even artificial limbs, are seeing new businesses pop up that sell high-heel shoes for $3,500 a pair, revealing party dresses, exotic cheeses and, of course, high-priced martinis. Dozens of restaurants and bars, with beguiling names like Fish and Sip and Va beh’ (Italian slang for “It’s all good!”), have sprouted on major thoroughfares and serene side streets....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:46 AM

The new Nets logos and colors will be unveiled April 30th. They are said to be vastly different from the current ones.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:26 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

New Brooklyn Nets logo, officially unveiled today. The logos were designed by team minority owner Jay-Z:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...colors-2012-13

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...165926246.html

Last edited by NYC4Life; Apr 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:33 PM
World Machine

They look fine, but nothing 'earth-shattering' like they were built up to be . . .

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 9:33 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1tYDlHJdC

Brooklyn Nets unveil new logo and black and white color scheme
Nets held press conference at Modells across the street from Barclays Center

By Stefan Bondy
April 30, 2012

Quote:

A project 10 years in the making became official Monday morning with the re-branding of the Brooklyn Nets. Grabbing hold of the marketing opportunity, the Nets held a press conference at a Modell's store across the street from their new arena to unveil the aesthetic identity.

Everything about it was black and white: the logos, the t-shirts, the hats, even the complimentary black and white cookies. "We thought it kind of represented Brooklyn. It's simple. It's crisp. It's kind of classic. It's urban. We thought it's New York," said Irina Pavlova, the president of Mikhail Prokhorov's sports and entertainment company.

The primary logo, which is outlined by the shape of a shield, is similar in style and colors to that of the Oakland Raiders. The secondary logo is a "B" imposed over a basketball. After considerable deliberation, Pavlova said they decided to use "B" for the logo instead of "BK." She said Jay-Z pushed hard for the former and helped sway the vote.

"The colors and logos fit with Brooklyn's strong history and heritage," said CEO Brett Yormark, giddy that he finally has something worth marketing. "They differentiate us. Just like Brooklyn is different than anywhere in the world we will be the lone NBA team with only black and white as colors. As we're entering a new era for this team we knew that we had one chance and one chance only to make it work, and we were thrilled with the results."

Yormark added that the logo is "the shield of Brooklyn."

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
New Brooklyn Nets logo, officially unveiled today. The logos were designed by team minority owner Jay-Z:

Way classier than the old logo which was garbage. This is a good design.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 12:18 AM
TL;DR

Jay-Z: world's coolest minimalist.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:16 AM

I like the color scheme.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:50 AM

I'm iffy on the primary logo, feels kind of weak. But the curved 'Brooklyn' scripts to be featured on the home and away look really classy, I think the uniforms will as well.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:06 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post

Has swag. I approve.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:36 AM

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. I hate this look more than I hate the Thunder's look. They might as well call this team the Brooklyn 8 Balls now.

The black and white wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that this was previous a team with red blue and grey so now it just looks like the logo got stuck in B/W copy machine.

I also don't like the fact that they ended up leaving the Brooklyn Bridge out. I thought one of the throwback Nets logos with the bridge in it was the way to go. And those shirts don't even look like a NBA team. I understand they're shooting for the hip look but at the same time they should keep the NBA professional touch as well.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:43 AM

Actually it was velvet, not red. Looking at it from a distance makes it just as close to black as any other color on their uniforms.

The Brooklyn bridge doesn't make Brooklyn,, although it would have been a nice touch on their jerseys. That's like saying the Manhattan Bridge makes Manhattan, when that throne is taken by either One World Trade Center or the Empire State Building. I think it comes down to significance at the end of the day.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I also don't like the fact that they ended up leaving the Brooklyn Bridge out. I thought one of the throwback Nets logos with the bridge in it was the way to go.
The bridge is a hit or miss. There are so many bridges in the city, and many people - even New Yorkers, wouldn't be able to identify it out of a lineup.
This t-shirt however, I think says it all:

If they could have incorporated a few brownstones in there, that would say Brooklyn strongly.

I may like the Knicks, but I would like a couple of these...

bxnykc

Street Market

http://jetsetdc.com/index.php?option...news&Itemid=60

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/30....html#slide-27

threecee

Alex Terzich

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; May 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:44 PM
New Yorker for life

I was in Modell's yesterday, and was tempted to grab a couple of new Nets items, you know, because they're new, (and I'm from Brooklyn). But better to let the season end first.

http://thebrooklynink.com/2012/05/04...s-off-shelves/

Brooklyn Nets Gear Flies Off Shelves

Fri, May 4, 2012
By Cristabelle Tumola

Quote:
After the Brooklyn Nets’ logo was officially revealed on April 30, the team’s merchandise went on sale. Everything from t-shirts and jerseys, to hats, basketballs and water bottles are now available on Brooklynnets.com, and the websites and stores of two sports retailers—the NBA Store and Modell’s Sporting Goods. Though it has only been a few days, basketball and Brooklyn enthusiasts are quickly buying up the team’s items.

Monday, the first day the items went on sale, was the second largest web traffic day at NBAStore.com since the start of the basketball season on Dec. 25, according to a Brooklyn Nets release. The team’s merchandise accounted for 27 percent of total sales for the day on NBAStore.com and at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue combined.

That same day, Modell’s sold more Brooklyn Nets merchandise in a single day than they’d sold New Jersey Nets items during the last year, said Jason Karorwski, Modell’s manager of sports marketing and PR. Brooklyn Net merchandise is available at about 100 Modell’s stores in the New Jersey and New York metropolitan area, including the chain’s 10 Brooklyn locations. The team’s merchandise features various designs—all in its black and white colors—some with the logo, some with just the words “Brooklyn.” Many of the items promote borough pride more than sports fanaticism.

Brooklyn resident, Jason Andrews of Crown Heights, quickly filled his arms with items—four t-shirts and a hat. He was buying for himself, his brother and 7-year-old son. “I got to support my borough. I love Brooklyn,” he said. The store’s apparel manager, Denise Neckles, said all of the merchandise was selling well, and she had to restock it often.

Even though the NBA store on Fifth Avenue, between 47th and 48th streets, is about a 30-minute subway ride from the Barclays Center, people there were buying the Brooklyn Nets merchandise on Thursday. T-shirts and hats seemed to be the best sellers.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:26 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^

I'm going tomorrow!!! love those Ts
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 6:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

I think the logo is nice. Not amazing, but nice. It works for Brooklyn because it harkens back to logos of the early 20th century.

Here's another black & white logo I've been a fan of since the 70's.

TarnicUS

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
I think the logo is nice. Not amazing, but nice. It works for Brooklyn because it harkens back to logos of the early 20th century.

Here's another black & white logo I've been a fan of since the 70's.

TarnicUS
Yeah but the Spurs are black/white/grey or black/white/silver (sorry, I'm colorblind).

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 12:18 PM
Bionic Boogie

This is exciting news!!! Brooklyn's own Barbra Streisand will perform at the Barclay's Center on October 2012....tix go on sale May 21!!!

This is huge for this arena!!! It will be the first time she performs as a professional in Brooklyn!!!

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Bar...ncert-20120509
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction