HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Aquilini Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:51 PM

Carbon-neutral office tower planned for downtown Vancouver

Brian Martin

correspondent

A planned addition to the Vancouver skyline will come complete with a whole lot of firsts.

For one thing, it will be the first office tower built from the ground up in the city’s core in more than a decade. For another it will be the first ever carbon neutral tower built in Canada and likely in North America. It will also be among the first few towers built in years with opening windows.

The 22-storey structure is being proposed not just next to, but attached to General Motors Place by a development group called Tri Power. The architects are the well known Vancouver firm of Busby Perkins+Will.

The tower will be well out in front of the pack when it comes to environmental sensitivity. This, say architects Z Smith and Jim Huffman, is the result of both leading edge design and technology and a unique site. The building will be located beside the Georgia Viaduct in a very tight lot. As a result of the size of the lot, the floor plates in the tower will be considerably smaller than normal. This in turn means that everyone working in it will be able to use natural daylight at their work stations.

Likewise the heating and cooling is a departure from the norm. Both heating and cooling are being provided by radiant concrete ceiling slabs. This means the spaces between the floors have been made smaller. So much smaller in fact that three extra floors were able to be added to the structure and still keep it within city guidelines. The revenue from the extra floors more than justifies the couple of extra million dollars the system will cost.

The designers insist that opening a window won’t toss the air system out of sync.

As the HVAC doesn’t depend on blown air, an open window will not throw it off balance. In addition, state-of-the-art computer technology will tell the system when a window is open in an office — and it will simply stop supplying either hot or cold air to that space.

The benefits of the marriage between the two structures spreads to the outside as well. No additional parking is needed. Enough parking exists around GM Place and B.C. Place to serve the tower during the day while remaining available for sports fans at night. The real key to the project, however, is how it will interact with General Motors Place.

The two will share facilities to the benefit of both. For example, rain water from the arena’s vast roof may well be used by the tower.

Ice shavings from the arena will be used to help cool the office building. The cooling tower on the arena tosses a lot of hot air into the atmosphere. Consultants Stantec plan to capture that hot air and will use some of it in the office tower. Some of it will be combined with heat produced by the many computer server rooms in the tower and stored in a ground source tank. When it is needed by the arena — as in the case of heat for a rock concert — the office tower will give it back.

Smith explains how the tower will become effectively “carbon neutral”. The tower, he says, will be an all electric building and most electricity in British Columbia is not generated by burning coal. It is generated by hydro dams. The 10 per cent that does come from fossil fuels, he explains, will be offset by a reduction in the fossil fuel heating currently used by the arena thanks to the tower sending the arena its excess heat.

“By building this tower, the amount of fossil fuel used in GM Place will go down. The tower will result in less fossil fuels being used in the arena and we will in effect become a carbon neutral office tower.”

The final incentive for the tower is the fact that tenants will be able to walk directly from their offices to their boxes or seats in GM Place.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:00 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Love the idea of having radiant heating and being able to cut back the height of each floor. Just by going from 13.5ft to a still generous 10ft you could add almost 10 floors on a conventional tower. I imagine we will see alot more of this on future developments.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 8:06 PM

I wonder how responsive the radiant system will be. During the summer, the temperature on the south side of a building can skyrocket so much that even conventional air-blown AC systems can't keep up with the temperature gain. I suppose that's when the operable windows may be handy, but I wonder whether an open window would cool fast enough (I assume they would be the small flip-out version). Having the AC shut off when a window is opened may not work well. One good thing is that the tower will be partly shaded from the late afternoon sun by the Spectrum towers.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 2:06 AM

this is inside the front of costco right in front of the entrance facing south toward BC Place

(my photo, if it matters)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:23 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:06 AM

Retail wouldn't survive there, it's an extremely dead area....except for ga I could see maybe a restaurant or a club/bar there though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:19 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

I think a large format retailer would love to locate there......think about all the parking and access to transit.

Walmart, Zellars, Save-on, Superstore, Lowes, Rona, etc

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I think a large format retailer would love to locate there......think about all the parking and access to transit.

Walmart, Zellars, Save-on, Superstore, Lowes, Rona, etc
Remember, the lot size is 9,900 sq. feet.

Walmart - wtf??? it's disgusting. the lot is too small for them anyway.

Zellers - i doubt it would work.

Save-On: maybe a small two-level store? it could work.

Superstore - lot is way too small.

Lowes/Rona - at Vancouver's sport precinct next to the Garage? ewww.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 5:24 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Save-On will have a 2 Nesters (same family) down the street with one at Woodwards plus an Urban fare in the other direction. There isn't enough space for any large retailer. That spot really is dead and will probably continue to be so for the next 5-10 years until NEFC is built out. They should probably just stick with office space with maybe a starbuck/timhorton in the lobby. Even then I imagine the office staff wouldn't be large enough to justify the rent, maybe game nights could justify it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:51 PM

I dont think the Costco is even doing that well there. Ive seen numerous perks to lure downtown residents such as free passes to try it out without buying a membership. Would be really unfortunate to lose them as a tenant - if they weren't surviving and had to break the lease. Hard to imagine what could fill that space.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast604 View Post
I dont think the Costco is even doing that well there. Ive seen numerous perks to lure downtown residents such as free passes to try it out without buying a membership. Would be really unfortunate to lose them as a tenant - if they weren't surviving and had to break the lease. Hard to imagine what could fill that space.
well i would be surprised if that is true based on my experience when shopping there. everytime i go it seems busy, from even right when it opens its doors.

however, if they want to attract more people i wish they would make the parking free or validate like what urban fair does. i know the parking is cheap but its annoying nonetheless.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:00 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Costco is doing fairly well and will only continue to improve. If they were to leave I'd love to see Ikea move in, but most likely it would be Walmart they are aggressively looking for a d/t location.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:16 PM

i go to that costco downtown nowadays and its dead during the day,
costcos on grandview and also at production way is always busy,

only time i find the downtown store busy is on weekends and also after 6pm,
but i just dont get the sense that the downtown is doing well,
at its peak i see maybe 4 or 5 cashiers open and the lineups are never unbearable like in the suburb stores..
heck, the fridges in the spectrum is so tiny it wont be able to handle any bulk buying.. same goes for most single pads in downtown vancouver

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:31 PM

I tend to agree. The first sign of slow customer traffic was Costco opening up the lower level of their parkade to GM Place patrons.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Retail wouldn't survive there, it's an extremely dead area....except for ga I could see maybe a restaurant or a club/bar there though.
Maybe getting rid of the viaducts would improve that whole area

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:46 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I love shopping at Costco Downtown way more than I do at the other ones because the lines are soo short. It's nice to shop peacefully and slowly instead of the usually FRANTIC and RUN TO GET A SPOT IN LINE type of thing.

But we have to see that it's kind of hard for Costco to be sucessful in downtown. Many living in downtown can't buy anything there because it's just way too big. I mean I don't need huge ass cans of fruit cocktail. Vancouverities in downtown is a complete different market. For Costco downtown to be sucessful, they need to change the products in that store.

Think of this now, IKEA has moved the furniture that is getting smaller and smaller or else it's really hard for them to survive now... Costco Downtown needs to do the same!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 1:31 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo67sh View Post
i go to that costco downtown nowadays and its dead during the day,
costcos on grandview and also at production way is always busy,

only time i find the downtown store busy is on weekends and also after 6pm,
but i just dont get the sense that the downtown is doing well,
at its peak i see maybe 4 or 5 cashiers open and the lineups are never unbearable like in the suburb stores..
heck, the fridges in the spectrum is so tiny it wont be able to handle any bulk buying.. same goes for most single pads in downtown vancouver
well once the Grandview Costco shuts down and gets combined with the Burnaby location and moved to the new site at Willingdon I think the downtown stores traffic will really pick up with all the East Vancouver people starting to hit it more so.

I also agree the parking is retarded....people spend enough in there anyways the parking should not cost anything.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:24 AM

Yea, I find the parking fees is quite retarded.....it's the reason why my family goes to the Richmond one more often.

From what I heard, downtown Costco is considered a success...it may not be as busy as the other stores but do consider it is 1/3rd smaller than the Richmond store and it's been around for how many years? 2 years? Give it some time.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 3:03 AM

They need another free roasted chicken promotion!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:18 PM

I think if they allow validation for parking, business will greatly increase. I remember going there when it first opened and they had impark 'ambassadors' explaining to ppl they had to pay, and many seemed PO'd. Unfortunately, most purchases there need a car to take them home. I doubt that costco would write off DT without trying to change parking regulations, unless it's some sort of COV covenant...

I *really* hope they don't shutter/downscale it - It is really handy. I'm also planning to get new tires in the winter there...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver