HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:32 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I've always found it weird that Atlanta goes from big skyscrapers to forest basically immediately. There's no tapering off the density, which makes their skylines feel kind of...artificial? Like there are few signs of historic cores that then sprouted skyscrapers when technology allowed. Just winding low density streets and BAM 800 foot skyscrapers.
Eh, I find it unique and special now, since it's one of the few cities that does this. However, it would have been nice if it tapered off the density a little bit, like Chicago's "city in a forest" model or Seattle ( being known as the Emerald City). Hopefully that happens in the future.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiorted9 View Post
I disagree, slightly. A lot of people in SoCal have ties to the Midwest and distinguish it from the East Coast. I do hear people say "i'm flying back East" when they're headed to Detroit or Atlanta, but not East Coast.
Back east is basically anything east of Denver. A common exception is people will normally say Texas if they are going to Texas, but even if people are going to places just as east as Texas like Iowa or Minnesota they'll still say back east.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I actually got this vibe when I was walking around Midtown a few years ago! It felt more like a giant display than an actual city. Then when I was downtown I kept thinking I was in Chicago for some reason. Downtown was more impressive than I thought.

In terms of this particular thread, the Atlanta skyline obviously wouldn't belong in that conversation.
My bad... I just read the thread title and presumed it was cry (with joy).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Eh, I find it unique and special now, since it's one of the few cities that does this. However, it would have been nice if it tapered off the density a little bit, like Chicago's "city in a forest" model or Seattle ( being known as the Emerald City). Hopefully that happens in the future.
That's not gonna happen in Midtown anytime soon (at least width wise). You have skyscrapper adjacent to piedmont park. Then around the park you have a highly protected area of SFH and Virginia Highland. On the other side, you have the connector and GA Tech.

It is most probably going to happen in Buckhead and Downtown.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Back east is basically anything east of Denver. A common exception is people will normally say Texas if they are going to Texas, but even if people are going to places just as east as Texas like Iowa or Minnesota they'll still say back east.
Yea, I hear "back east' to anything between Denver and the Atlantic. I hear this more than "east coast". But again, "back east" could be from all the transplants here.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:41 PM

I worked with alot of transplants in silicon valley and tbh most would either just say they were flying 'home' or they would specify their home city/state. The times i heard Chicago being referred as east coast or anything east of the mississippi as the east coast was definitely from native Bay people. But it didn't bother me much tbh as alot of native bay people with the means to stay in the Bay seemed pretty aloof about the rest of the US.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, I hear "back east' to anything between Denver and the Atlantic. I hear this more than "east coast". But again, "back east" could be from all the transplants here.
It’s a perspective thing, I get why somebody from Virginia would find it strange that we call Arkansas and Tennessee “back east” but it is back east from our perspective

Just like I find it strange when people think of Kansas and Texas as “west” when they are pretty much dead center

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I am from New York originally and call any state in the northeast "back east". southeastern states are simply the 'deep south'. Out west is the west coat and interior west; states with mountains. Kansas is Kansas.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
southeastern states are simply the 'deep south'.
That is really one of my pet peeves. The media in particular likes to call every Southern state the Deep South when that's really not the case. Most of the lower South can legitimately be called the Deep South but not the upper South.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
That is really one of my pet peeves. The media in particular likes to call every Southern state the Deep South when that's really not the case. Most of the lower South can legitimately be called the Deep South but not the upper South.
That's true. The Carolina's really aren't Deep South...just 'South". I think that's mainly MS, AL, GA, LA and perhaps northern Florida. The Carolina's are also now South New York.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
That's true. The Carolina's really aren't Deep South...just 'South". I think that's mainly MS, AL, GA, LA and perhaps northern Florida. The Carolina's are also now South New York.
I'm an SC'er and I tend to think of SC as Deep South but it actually wasn't included in the original categorization. It's certainly getting lots of Northeastern and Midwestern transplants these days, that's for sure. On the whole, NC is the upper South but the eastern part of the state definitely has a Deep South vibe.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:17 PM

Chicago Skyline by BartShore, on Flickr

I teared up a bit after seeing this one. Over to you Steely ;-)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ decent, but incomplete.

here's the full chicago skyline:

source:https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...22073&page=195

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 30, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 6:42 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Great peaks and densities at a good balance. I am now starting to see why some put Chicago’s modern skyline above New York’s currently.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
I am from New York originally and call any state in the northeast "back east". southeastern states are simply the 'deep south'. Out west is the west coat and interior west; states with mountains. Kansas is Kansas.
Canada has some quirky references to.

A majority of the other Ontarians I know say "Out West", "Down South" and the real peculiar one is "down East" for the Maritimes..I'm really not sure how that last one got started, but once you get used to the moniker, it sounds normal. Do Americans living in the East say "Out West" for the mid Western or western States?..If there is a move involved, Canadians 9/10 times will say they are "heading/headed out West" .

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 7:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ for the US it generally goes:

"out west"

"back east"

"up north"

"down south"

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 7:19 PM
video et taceo

"Down East" is because the Maritimes are downriver along the Saint Lawrence.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
"Down East" is because the Maritimes are downriver along the Saint Lawrence.
In the U.S. the only "Down East" that I'm aware of would be Maine.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Carolinas are East Coast with a lot of historic connections up and down the coast and mixing. The Deep South was LA, MS, AL for sure.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:44 PM
BANNED

One more thing, when I lived in South Carolina, like New York, you'll hear people in the "Low Country" refer to "Upstate" rather often. Upstate is the Greenville-Spartanburg and the surrounding counties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions