HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 11:04 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Looks like I'll be coming back to PegCity next month for a visit.

I am looking forward to my return.. even if its going to be in November.
I'm sure you'll be thrilled with seeing the changes around this city with your own eyes this time, rather than reading them at this forum.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 3:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I'm sure you'll be thrilled with seeing the changes around this city with your own eyes this time, rather than reading them at this forum.
newflyer was here last year during the summer

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 3:55 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
newflyer was here last year during the summer
Yes, although I am still looking forward to seeing the new developments.

Seeing the new airport is high on my list .. as well as taking a closer look at the almost complete Hydro Building will also be on my list.

I am really looking forward to this trip.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:46 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Okay... technically not Winnipeg, but this (IMO) is a good thing for East St. Paul. The province is disbanding the ESP Police Service, and the RCMP will take over. The ESP Police and some of their officers of time's past has had many unfortunate tribulations, as you may recall.

This whole Taman inquiry has always had me thinking that ESP is a lot like the New Jersey town, portrayed in the film Cop Land.

Anyway, from CBC Manitoba online (October 6, 2008):

The province also announced Monday that, effective immediately, the RCMP will take over management of the East St. Paul police department. The RCMP will oversee the transition of the East St. Paul police force into an RCMP detachment by year's end, officials said.

"That was a long and hard decision based on the fact that there had been three reviews in the past, based on the comments in the [commissioner's] report about East St. Paul citizens having second-class police services," Chomiak said. "I did not think it was justifiable to continue that."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...an-report.html

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 12:33 PM

agreed, I think the RCMP and the resources they have are way better than any small town police force.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 1:35 PM
What could go wrong?

I heard the reeve or mayor of East St Paul crying that they weren't consulted about this move and that it will cost a lot of money to have the RCMP as their police force.....booo, whooo, whooo....last i checked the municipality/town of East St Paul was the wealthiest area in the Winnipeg Region (wealthier than Tuxedo)....and i might add paying pretty low taxes.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 2:09 PM
Armchair urbanist

WFP

Report today advises $300 million fix to Perimeter

Updated: October 7 at 08:30 AM CDT

Upgrading the Perimeter Highway to let traffic flow freely would benefit the environment, improve safety and help Winnipeg function as a transportation hub -- at a cost of more than $300 million, says a report released today.

The Frontier Centre for Public Policy recommends the costly upgrade, which would see intersections with traffic lights replaced with grade-separated interchanges.

The report says the upgrade would significantly reduce greenhouse-gas emissions from vehicles, cut fuel costs and travel times, increase safety, and enhance Winnipeg’s attractiveness as a transportation hub for the movement of goods.

“These secondary benefits would make it a more innovative approach than recent government decisions that involve significant public spending and focus solely on emissions reductions,” the Frontier Centre said.

The report is written by James Blatz and Mark Hearson of the University of Manitoba’s department of civil engineering.

---

$300 million for all the traffic light intersections? There's at least 3 I know of (Waverley, McGillivary, and Highway 6), nevermind the regular at-grade crossings.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 2:37 PM

Ya $300 million,,,,,that's got to be a mistake or there is something missing, how about st. Annes, st. Mary's,or Lagimodiere and the perimeter on the way out to Grand beach. ( or does that last one flow over top, I've never taken the permieter around the north side over lagimodiere).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 2:43 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ There are 9 traffic light interchanges on the Perimeter. Hwy 59 N, Pipeline Rd, Hwy 6, Saskatchewan Ave, Hwy 3 (McGillvray), Waverley, St Mary's Rd, St Annes Rd, Dugald Rd. There are probably 3 or 4 secondary intersections that should have a minimal overpass structure and every other entrance should be closed off.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 2:45 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Here's a story that caught my attention:

Winnipeg mulls over longevity of public memorials: CBC Manitoba Online

Sure, people want to do some grieving, and at the same time draw attention to/make a spectacle of their "loved one" who tragically met their fate by means of a make-shift shrine on the side of the road.

But at the same time, I've seen many improvised memorials for people who have died on whatever street corner get to the point where it is an eyesore of decay and rubbish (and one could argue, disgracing the dead).

While it makes no sense to me, I suppose if the family feels it helps then perhaps a week is fine for this attention-seeking ritual. Longer than that, however, (IMO) it's just a burden for everyone else. I mean, why should the optics of a street corner suffer in our city because someone perished there ten months (or two years) before? As well, is Winnipeg not getting a 'bad rap' due to these shrines (particularly, due to all the sites that highlight where people have been murdered which underlines the violent nature of Winnipeg)?

Remember the old days where grieving was done in private with the people close to you?

It seems to me that many, if not most families simply fail to remove or maintain the road-side shrines (yet, no doubt they'd be pissed if it was removed for them). I can see how the city removing the mess would be considered controversial at this time... so having a clear policy on the matter is of benefit to everyone.

That, or fine the family for littering! (j/k)

Here's a thought... what if, to respect a particular dead person's beliefs, the family or friends erected a pentagram for all to see on the side of the road? Do you think, in this case, that the masses would still insist that it's okay because it's helping family/friends with the grieving process? Or would hypocrisy rear it's ugly head?

One last thought/question... if a person is pulled out of their wrecked vehicle on a street corner in critical condition, rushed to whatever ER, and died in the ER... should creating a shrine at the accident scene be considered inappropriate/wrong, or even litter? If the person didn't die right there, IMO it essentially proves that the people who put up the shrine at the accident scene are, in fact, looking for an area where the shrine will stand out more. In actuality, the shrine should be set-up in front of the ER. However, if everyone did this the shrines would blend into each other due to the sheer number of them, thus reducing the effectiveness of the attention grab.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Oct 7, 2008 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 5:10 PM
What could go wrong?

A freeway of benefits
Taking lights off Perimeter Highway good for environment, safety, pocketbook

By: James Blatz and Mark Hearson

Updated: October 4 at 08:59 AM CDT

* Print Article
* E-mail Article
* ShareThis

THE Perimeter Highway’s stop­and- go inefficiency as a high­speed route due to signallized intersections has been a target of criticism for years.

Nine intersections on the Perimeter Highway still are controlled by traffic lights, causing traffic delays at such major intersections as Lagimodiere Boulevard, McGillivray Boulevard and Dugald Road.

More importantly, the signallized intersections present dangerous collision points with high-speed conditions that often lead to fatalities, such as the 2005 death of Crystal Taman.

The current Perimeter Highway's inefficiency in moving heavy truck traffic is also a potential limitation to Manitoba's competitive position to be considered as a primary inland port for North America.

The negative impacts of continuing to have signallized intersections on the Perimeter Highway are considerable.

Given the provincial government's relentless position on meeting Kyoto targets at any cost, the Perimeter Highway can also be justified as a valuable emissions reduction strategy.

Regardless of the ideology used to justify the policy, a free-flowing Perimeter Highway would provide numerous benefits to Manitobans including reduced greenhouse gas emissions, reduced travel times, reduced fuel costs for users, improved public safety and a better reputation for Winnipeg as a potential inland port.

A recent study published by the Frontier Centre for Public Policy quantifies the emission reductions associated with replacing all light signals with free-flowing interchanges.

Traffic modelling software was used with annual traffic flow data and signal timings set by the province to calculate the emission reductions associated with creating a true free-flowing, high-speed Perimeter Highway system.

The results showed an annual reduction of more than 7,500 tonnes of CO2 by eliminating idling traffic at the existing controlled intersections. The reduction in emissions would be complemented by an estimated 17 per cent reduction in accidents.

A typical user that would cross two existing signallized intersections twice a day (e.g. St. Anne's Road and St. Mary's Road) would save approximately $50 annually at current fuel prices. The upgrading would come at a cost estimated at more than $300 million but compared to other environmental policies, provides considerably more secondary benefits to a majority of the taxpayers funding the policy.

Recent government announcements of policies directed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions appear to intentionally lack information about the policy costs.

While the announcements boast significant reductions in emissions, the costs we are paying to achieve the goals are staggering.

One obvious example is the province's decision to enact legislation that will ultimately require Manitoba Hydro to replace coal-burning generation with alternative energy sources.

In the case of the Brandon Unit 5 generating station, coal-burning generation will likely be replaced by gas-turbine generation.

Replacing Brandon Unit 5's power generation to Unit 6 and 7's power generation does reduce emissions notably but at a significant cost of up to an additional $24 million per year.

In comparison to the 75-year design life of the nine interchanges for upgrading the Perimeter Highway at a cost of $300 million, the total cost of the Brandon 5 policy is in the order of $1.8 billion.

That expense provides no secondary benefits to Manitobans beyond the emissions reductions and arguably will burden Manitoba Hydro significantly in terms of its capital position with the additional costs.

To compare the two policies fairly, the total costs can be divided by the total emissions reductions to determine a cost per tonne of emissions removed on an annual basis.

The cost for taking Brandon 5 offline is estimated to be more than $200 per tonne annually, whereas the Perimeter Highway upgrade is comparable but more expensive at over $500 per tonne. That is comparing the two strategies solely on the basis of the emissions reductions.

When the reduced travel times, reduced fuel consumption and increased public safety benefits are considered over and above emissions reductions, the Perimeter Highway policy is clearly more beneficial to the daily lives of many Manitobans while achieving significant emissions reductions.

There is no question that the emissions reductions would be better than estimated in this study if this policy was to be implemented given more traffic would move from inner-city routes to a more efficient Perimeter Highway.

Instead of using heavy-handed legislation and regulation to force individuals and Crown corporations to meet the provincial emissions targets, the government should show leadership and invest in infrastructure improvements that will not only move towards their emissions targets but also provide other important benefits to Manitobans.

Upgrading the Perimeter Highway to free-flowing conditions has demonstrable environmental benefits, cost and travel time benefits for the users and improved public safety.

It is time for the government to get serious about smart green policies that show concrete benefits to Manitobans beyond simply emissions reductions.

James Blatz is an associate professor and associate head of civil engineering at the University of Manitoba. Mark Hearson is a second year civil engineering student at the University of Manitoba. To view the complete 20-page analysis, go to www.fcpp.org

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Here's a story that caught my attention:

Winnipeg mulls over longevity of public memorials: CBC Manitoba Online

Sure, people want to do some grieving, and at the same time draw attention to/make a spectacle of their "loved one" who tragically met their fate by means of a make-shift shrine on the side of the road.

But at the same time, I've seen many improvised memorials for people who have died on whatever street corner get to the point where it is an eyesore of decay and rubbish (and one could argue, disgracing the dead).

While it makes no sense to me, I suppose if the family feels it helps then perhaps a week is fine for this attention-seeking ritual. Longer than that, however, (IMO) it's just a burden for everyone else. I mean, why should the optics of a street corner suffer in our city because someone perished there ten months (or two years) before? As well, is Winnipeg not getting a 'bad rap' due to these shrines (particularly, due to all the sites that highlight where people have been murdered which underlines the violent nature of Winnipeg)?

Remember the old days where grieving was done in private with the people close to you?

It seems to me that many, if not most families simply fail to remove or maintain the road-side shrines (yet, no doubt they'd be pissed if it was removed for them). I can see how the city removing the mess would be considered controversial at this time... so having a clear policy on the matter is of benefit to everyone.

That, or fine the family for littering! (j/k)

Here's a thought... what if, to respect a particular dead person's beliefs, the family or friends erected a pentagram for all to see on the side of the road? Do you think, in this case, that the masses would still insist that it's okay because it's helping family/friends with the grieving process? Or would hypocrisy rear it's ugly head?

One last thought/question... if a person is pulled out of their wrecked vehicle on a street corner in critical condition, rushed to whatever ER, and died in the ER... should creating a shrine at the accident scene be considered inappropriate/wrong, or even litter? If the person didn't die right there, IMO it essentially proves that the people who put up the shrine at the accident scene are, in fact, looking for an area where the shrine will stand out more. In actuality, the shrine should be set-up in front of the ER. However, if everyone did this the shrines would blend into each other due to the sheer number of them, thus reducing the effectiveness of the attention grab.
Yes, I too am in favour of a policy governing morbid roadside attractions.

Somebody tied 'yellow' ribbons all around the trees in my area as part of a campaign to end the Canadian occupation of Afghanistan.

A year later those same ribbons that were once 'yellow' are now covered in flith and look ratty as hell.

What an eyesore.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Somebody tied 'yellow' ribbons all around the trees in my area as part of a campaign to end the Canadian occupation of Afghanistan.

A year later those same ribbons that were once 'yellow' are now covered in flith and look ratty as hell.

What an eyesore.
why don't you take them down then?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 1:38 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

What an eyesore.
We took a roadtrip this summer, and went through a big chunk of Montana.

As soon as you cross the state boundary into Montana, there are signs that explain the State of Montana maintains the roadside "death" markers throughout the state. They are pretty simple white crosses, but at least they are all consistent.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 2:38 PM

a recent family loss involving a traffic accident has my parents looking after one of these "morbid roadside attractions" as stated. i understand the concern. when not looked after they are pretty depressing for everyone, but WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?! if you are gonna put up a cross etc then look after it, and dont make it so big that people have to walk around it. and now we get laws for that too. dont we get it? the more stupid we become, the more of these stupid laws will be put in place. like i said, my family has a roadside memorial, but they keep it appropriate. clean and modest. not so extravegant that EVERYBODY has to stare at it. geez...

im not trying to offend anyone, i guess this is something i have been dealing with on a pretty personal level so i have a strong opinion.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 5:08 AM

So it looks like the Downtown BIZ is actually following through with some of their plans of their Portage Avenue Master Lighting Plan. The have a call for proposals out to print large scale photos on the skywalk windows. Despite the project's ridiculously tacky name, Give Portage a Shot, it should really add some flavour to the streets.

All you shutterbugs should submit an application, some great shots have been posted on the boards here in the past.

http://www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com/r...Shot-small.pdf

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 3:41 AM
Capitalist

I expect that the upgrades to the perimeter will get significant upgrades.

It will become part of the infrastructure upgrades for Centre Port Canada. That in addition to other major highway upgrades in Manitoba in the coming years.

It will be a big few years ...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 6:37 AM
A long time gone

Is downtown on the upswing? I went there after several months and really there are many more people around and less bums (not tow mention 2 HOT, let me repeat HOT white collars i saw in a Tim Horton's... they were working on saturday poor them). The same goes for Portage Place. Cityplace is still pitiful though...

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 7:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Is downtown on the upswing? I went there after several months and really there are many more people around and less bums (not tow mention 2 HOT, let me repeat HOT white collars i saw in a Tim Horton's... they were working on saturday poor them). The same goes for Portage Place. Cityplace is still pitiful though...
aww aww try 10pm anyday of the week and watch people and wonder around u will be presently surprised...

glad to here i am not the only person to notice this though!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 2:43 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Wow!! ... thats going to be great to see.

3 more weeks....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan