HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaulieu View Post
the original food court was where sephora is now? I thought the original was the underground one where the atrium and waterfall were located (now Holt Renfrew)
The original food court - from the 1970s and 80s - was on the upper mall where Harry Rosen is located.
That was before the atrium food court building north of Dunsmuir was built.

... when the mall looked like this:
PS - note the escalator just behind the directory - not sure where it would have led to... maybe TD Tower lobby?
The overhead sign might read "Toronto Dominion Bank and Tower ->"
That escalator was presumably replaced in the 1980s when the mall entrance fronting the plaza (with the ugly vestibule) was added
and an escalator along the alignment of the mall was installed (together with a double height space that was later decked over for the phone kiosks).

http://vancouverlights.blogspot.ca/2...tre-promo.html

Last edited by officedweller; May 10, 2018 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 5:10 PM

Work deck on 609 lowered again today, exposing L23.

I'll be grabbing a pic at some point this afternoon and posting it.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:39 PM

Thanks.
I thought I noticed that last night but it was too dark to tell.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:43 PM

As promised, a couple shots from the roof, so no discolouring caused by the window tints on TD or 701 West Georgia:

I kept them large intentionally so you guys can see the details.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:49 PM

Nice, thanks!
..and the National Bank sign is now white.
Why doesn't SNC Lavalin change its sign colour?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:54 PM

Spent all their money buying off the Gaddafis?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:04 PM
Reason and Freedom

It is interesting that transparent glass (and a visible cacophony of blinds) is what was chosen as the best replacement for this office tower, all things considered.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The original food court - from the 1970s and 80s - was on the upper mall where Harry Rosen is located.
That was before the atrium food court building north of Dunsmuir was built.

... when the mall looked like this:
PS - note the escalator just behind the directory - not sure where it would have led to... maybe TD Tower lobby?
The overhead sign might read "Toronto Dominion Bank and Tower ->"
That escalator was presumably replaced in the 1980s when the mall entrance fronting the plaza (with the ugly vestibule) was added
and an escalator along the alignment of the mall was installed (together with a double height space that was later decked over for the phone kiosks).
Maybe Toronto Dominion Bank and IBM Tower?

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:40 AM

I was wondering where that escalator was in relation to Georgia St. - south side or north side.

The wider part of the mall shown is where the GAP used to be and where existing escalator is located, so if the old escalator came up sideways from there, it would end up in the TD Tower lobby, I think.

Could have ended up behind the revolving door shown here:

Quote:

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:03 AM

Well that's hideous as hell! Wtf are they thinking?! The clear glass is going to let in 1000 times more heat. I hope they put a new hvac system in!

Are they going to put in new uniform blinds at least when they ar finished?

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:27 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^That grotesquerie that you just saw is now very much a thing of the past. The complex has a crisp, square, and more visual-friendly look, IMO.
What worries me, though, in terms of aesthetics, is that "tool-shed-shaped" building planned across the street to replace the Rotunda and its plaza.
With 4 seasons ready to leave, and a whole new hotel+++ , it would have been nice to have something more harmonized in structure, less jarring and ugly visually.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 6:18 PM

i don't like the clear glass trend in offices. you can see all the blinds, cubicals/walls of the offices. and of course they are built to function on the inside so the look through the windows from the outside isn't a consideration. the glass should be mirrored/tinted/not see-through.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i don't like the clear glass trend in offices. you can see all the blinds, cubicals/walls of the offices. and of course they are built to function on the inside so the look through the windows from the outside isn't a consideration. the glass should be mirrored/tinted/not see-through.
May I agree? A splendid example of reflective windows is the Bank of Commerce at Burrard and Hastings. The windows have nickel in them, and shine bright reflective white.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:22 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
It is interesting that transparent glass (and a visible cacophony of blinds) is what was chosen as the best replacement for this office tower, all things considered.
Agreed, very strange. We ended up applying a film on the inside of all of our office windows to reduce solar gain, and this is in a building built in 2016. It definitely increases the gloominess during the winter, but its an absolute lifesaver this time of year. An added bonus is you can no longer see into the office (very well) from the street (we're on the second floor), so we have a little more privacy. Plus, who wants to see peoples backs working at computers and/or all of the cabling behind desks/monitors?

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Agreed, very strange. We ended up applying a film on the inside of all of our office windows to reduce solar gain, and this is in a building built in 2016. It definitely increases the gloominess during the winter, but its an absolute lifesaver this time of year. An added bonus is you can no longer see into the office (very well) from the street (we're on the second floor), so we have a little more privacy. Plus, who wants to see peoples backs working at computers and/or all of the cabling behind desks/monitors?
This is what makes no sense to me. If the city wants to reduce solar gain why are they allowing clear glass? Also, when I was in Sheraton wall centre I didn't notice at all the tint on the windows, which we know is like the most darkest, mirrored tint in the city.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
This is what makes no sense to me. If the city wants to reduce solar gain why are they allowing clear glass? Also, when I was in Sheraton wall centre I didn't notice at all the tint on the windows, which we know is like the most darkest, mirrored tint in the city.
There are several aspects at play:
  1. Solar gain: Correct clear glass increases cooling load in summer, but it also increases solar gain in the winter/shoulder seasons, decreasing heating load.
  2. Lighting levels: Less lighting is used with clear glass, lowering electricity usage.
  3. Tenant comfort: The views out and light allowed in is much preferable in clear glass vs the old tinted glass

Ultimately all these factors play in and that's why you see some towers opting for clear glass.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:30 PM

Self tinting glass would be a perfect solution to changing seasons. The blinds in an office building look terrible.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 8:24 AM

Canaccord Genuity sign -

Pic by me today.

Hopefully it'll be blue and gray (and not white):

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:05 AM

Yup - looks like it is blue and gray.
Could be a bit bigger though. Doesn't look very prominent in the dark blue (but still behind scaffolding)

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Yup - looks like it is blue and gray.
Could be a bit bigger though. Doesn't look very prominent in the dark blue (but still behind scaffolding)
Parapet signs are almost always owned by the tenant, so it's rarely the Landlords decision to change the colour/size.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver