HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

45 Lansing in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:30 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post

450 ft/137 m
45 stories
EHDD Architecture

This project, previously under development by Jackson Pacific Ventures, has now been sold to Turnberry Ltd. for $30 million. Turnberry, best known for ultra-lux condo towers in Florida, Las Vegas and the Bahamas, is planning to use the existing approved design pictured above but to add high end interior finishes bringing the total cost of the project for approximately 305 units to $230 million.

Lansing St. is near the top of Rincon Hill, an approximately 120 ft (maximum) elevated area near the Bay Bridge approaches in downtown San Francisco. This area is currently undergoing a massive transformation into one of highrise housing including this project but also the nearby projects "One Rincon Hill", "The Californian" and "The Infinity" as well as the recently completed "Metropolitan" and several additional planned towers.
The first post of this thread (which, curiously enough, was posted by BT ) is where I got the 45/450' from.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 3:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence View Post
The first post of this thread (which, curiously enough, was posted by BT ) is where I got the 45/450' from.
Right--and I got it from the "Compilations" thread started by Four One Five. He'll have to tell us where he got it. But I now think it may have been wrong (or changed at some point).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 4:27 AM
Green Berniecrat

I recall this post from FourOneFive long ago, but things have likely changed since then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFive View Post
true, this tower will most likely exceed the quoted 450'. i assume the 450' figure is the height of the building to the roof line. san francisco zoning allows for a 10% addition for mechanical equipment. at a minimum, the actual height of the building will be 495'.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence View Post
I recall this post from FourOneFive long ago, but things have likely changed since then:
a minor correction - the planning code in general does not allow 10% for mechanical equipment, it allows 16'. the rincon hill SUD allows 10%. in other parts of the city there is the 10% upper tower extension, which is different and not for mechanical equipment.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:34 AM
BANNED

Turnberry set to go on 227-unit Rincon tower

The article:

Quote:
Turnberry set to go on 227-unit Rincon tower
Turnberry is gearing up to start construction on its 227-unit 45 Lansing St. project, likely to be the third of the six razor-thin luxury condo towers on Rincon Hill.

Turnberry has hired Swedroe Architects and HKS to tweak the design. Swedroe has been designing Turnberry's towers for 30 years. On March 15, the San Francisco Planning Commission unanimously approved the revised design. The reconfigured west façade offers better views of the hills and Mission corridor.

"The design features a smooth, seamless prism of glass on the northeast corner that extends from the base to the top of the tower," said Mark Donahue, design director of HKS Architects.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 5:17 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ "razor thin"? Whatever happened to "wafer thin"?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:26 AM
BANNED

I walked by to see if there was any sign of construction yet. There wasn't. The building being demolished appeared empty but that's all. Maybe in the fall . . . .

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 1:56 AM
Green Berniecrat

I also did not notice any major changes or notices. I'm begining to wonder what Turnberry conciders to be "gearing up".

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 4:11 AM
BANNED

"Gearing up" is a highly complex operation. At some point it has to involve hiring a contractor, arranging for steel and concrete (which are both in short supply these days), a crane (also in short supply), getting permits and so on. It clearly takes months--or even a year or so. Sometimes, though, they go ahead with demolition and site prep before the other things are ready--that was all I was hoping I might see signs of today.

I am also hoping for a new rendering to appear somewhere--on Turnberry's web site or that of one of their architects--but so far I can't find any.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 6:04 AM

If anything knocking down an abandon building limits your liability and probably lowers your insurance.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
If anything knocking down an abandon building limits your liability and probably lowers your insurance.
Yea but you still need a permit and hundreds of $Ks to demolish and despose of the building... you just dont do those things prior to having all your ducks in a row... If they applied for demo and building permits on March 15th, how long do you think it will take the city to approve all the docs?

I wouldnt expect anything to happen until September. Then it will be full speed ahead.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
Yea but you still need a permit and hundreds of $Ks to demolish and despose of the building... you just dont do those things prior to having all your ducks in a row... If they applied for demo and building permits on March 15th, how long do you think it will take the city to approve all the docs?

I wouldnt expect anything to happen until September. Then it will be full speed ahead.
So, September? Do you think this will coincide pretty closely with the beginning of construction at the Californian at Rincon Hill? Currently, their website says a Nov 2007 construction start date, but its been pushed back before.

How about the resuming of construction on the 2nd Infinity tower and the 2nd One Rincon tower. Do you think we'll see all 4 buildings going up at approximately the same time? I wonder if this would cause any headaches as the builders sort of take up each other's space.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
So, September? Do you think this will coincide pretty closely with the beginning of construction at the Californian at Rincon Hill? Currently, their website says a Nov 2007 construction start date, but its been pushed back before.

How about the resuming of construction on the 2nd Infinity tower and the 2nd One Rincon tower. Do you think we'll see all 4 buildings going up at approximately the same time? I wonder if this would cause any headaches as the builders sort of take up each other's space.

Don’t ask me. I’m simply throwing wild, uneducated guesses out into the wind like everyone else

Last edited by rocketman_95046; May 17, 2007 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post

At the risk of going off-topic for a second, I don't think there's any delay with the second Infinity tower. They appear to be trying to finish the midrise parts of that building which contain the amenities so that they can let people move into the first tower at the earliestr opportunity but they will resume working on the second tower as soon as that's accomplished, I'm sure.

The Californian is more problematic. So may be the One Rincon second tower. Turnberry has the resources and the history of moving ahead with projects (such as in Las Vegas and Miami) in spite of current market conditions because they realize conditions may be totally different by the time the project is complete in 2+ years. Also, they are aiming at the highest end of the market where buyers are less affected by issues with mortgages and such (many buyers pay cash). I'm not sure the builders of these other projects are so bold. Whether they proceed may depend on how sales are going at comparable buildings like The Infinity (we know the first Rincon Tower is nearly sold out).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 11:09 PM
BANNED

The existing 45 Lansing building has a demolition permit in the window on the Harrison St. side dated May 23, 2007. It contains the usual "work must begin within 90 days" language. So it's looking more and more like both 45 Lansing and 375 Fremont will actually start construction in the autumn.

Does anyone know for sure if the new 45 Lansing will include the lot at the corner of 1st and Harrison where there is now a gas station?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
The existing 45 Lansing building has a demolition permit in the window on the Harrison St. side dated May 23, 2007. It contains the usual "work must begin within 90 days" language. So it's looking more and more like both 45 Lansing and 375 Fremont will actually start construction in the autumn.

Does anyone know for sure if the new 45 Lansing will include the lot at the corner of 1st and Harrison where there is now a gas station?
it will not include the gas station.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFive View Post
it will not include the gas station.
I wonder if all the residents of the new buildings will band together to weed out the shady characters that frequent the gas station. I can't even pump gas there without getting panhandled. It doesn't seem like the owners care and I'm wondering if most of these people frequent the area because the homeless shelter (while technically closed) is still standing and obviously inhabited. As much as I like this area and see all the potential, this is one element that needs to change for it to live up to its potential.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 8:12 AM

gas station vagrants

Yes, I have wondered that same thing about the vagrants in the area who happen to be without a home and how all the new tenants paying a million dollars are going to deal with the problem. The vagrants are not there because of the closed homeless shelter though. There are simply a lot of places to panhandle and sleep, such as in the abandoned doorways of 375 Fremont and especially around the freeway on and off ramps down the block. Once 45 Lansing and 375 Fremont starting ramping up on construction and especially when they are complete the area will begin changing and people won't be hanging out.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 4:12 PM

Actually, its not just the doorstep around 375 Fremont. I live nearby and I've seen people go into the "abandoned" building through side entrances. Someone tried to prevent this by boarding up a side, but I see that some of the homeless people have broken the boards. I'll be glad to see the shelter razed, even if construction doesn't start immediately.

I agree that once all of these places are demolished, that there will be less places to hide out. Another problem, however, is that the gas station owners at the 76 station don't really seem to care that homeless people are harrassing their customers. I personally think that I can handle it myself, but I'm often uncomfortable when my fiancee needs to buy gas herself, especially at night.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 5:50 PM
BANNED

^^^Most of the problematic buildings on Fremont and 45 Lansing are coming down soon, but, once again, I still haven't seen a demolition permit for the building on the corner of Fremont and Harrison (I think it's 399 Fremont--the current 375 Fremont is NOT on the corner). What I did see was the plywood pried loose so that people could enter the building and squat.

And when I walked up there, there was a crazy derelict "directing" traffic on the corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive