HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 6:31 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Here's the wall model at the Hong Kong Planning and Infrastructure Exhibition Gallery:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ture2006-2.jpg

http://partnernet.hktb.com/pnweb/rep...5151956869.jpg

They also have some conceptual models as well:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_T2PJMWhEp4A/R1...k/DSC00212.JPG

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 10:02 PM
Redhawkfan

Absolutely lovely thread. Here are some of my (old) pics of the model of Stockholm, can be found at the House of Culture in central Stockholm.

Central Stockholm with Old Town

The Globe Arena

Kaknäs Tower

Forumers Swede and wolkenkrabber

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 11:24 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

A better view of the downtown Detroit model in the RenCen lobby:

Mike Russell

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 12:02 PM
New Yorker for life

http://riverdalepress.com/atf.php?si...ion=2009-04-23

Panoramic model has monumental missing piece

BELL TOWER PARK, not seen from the air, but it sure looks like it.

By Kevin Deutsch
April 23, 2009 edition

Once your eyes adjust to the scale of the New York City Panorama, it's easy to spot Riverdale's most familiar sights in all their miniature glory. The Whitehall Building, Van Cortlandt Mansion, and the 242nd Street Station rise up from a shrunken Bronx in the form of petite replicas.

But look toward Bell Tower Park in search of Riverdale's best-known landmark and you'll find nothing but a small, lonely white patch. The traffic circle is there, as are the trees and homes and highway that surround it. Yet the Bell Tower itself, a 500-foot structure cherished by residents, sightseers and historians alike, doesn't exist in this alternate version of the city.

Urban planning czar Robert Moses and model-builder Raymond Lester may have taken painstaking care in creating the world's largest urban panorama for the 1964 World's Fair in Queens (now housed at the Queens Museum of Art), but when it came to Riverdale's 79-year-old tower and World War I veteran's memorial, also known as The Monument, the pair apparently didn't sweat the details.

There are about 895,000 individual structures replicated in the panorama, 25,000 of which are New York landmarks like skyscrapers, museums and major churches. They are custom built with striking detail.

Countless smaller structures are represented with generic blocks of wood and plastic. But The Monument didn't even get that. Does the museum plan to place a tiny tower on the barren spot?

"I'm not sure what went into the decision making in 1964, but we'd love to work with the folks in Riverdale to see if we can get it put on there," said the museum's director for external relations, David Strauss, adding that even though he's from Queens, he knows exactly where the real Bell Tower is in Riverdale. "The fact that I know the exact spot speaks to the idea that maybe it should be on there."

The Monument's Spanish bell was cast in 1762 for a Mexican monastery. When General Winfield Scott captured the bell during the Mexican War, soldiers brought it back to New York City, where it was housed at a fire lookout spot in Greenwich Village. It was later moved to a Riverdale firehouse and finally installed in its fieldstone and limestone tower in 1930.

Originally located about 700 feet to the north, both tower and bell were moved to West 239th Street and Henry Hudson Parkway in 1936.

One option for Bell Tower aficionados who want it added to the panorama would be to "buy" the monument as part of the museum's new adopt-abuilding program, which allows New Yorkers to "own" real estate on the panorama, be it a studio apartment, firehouse, or a historic landmark.

The rates under the adopta- building program are $50 for an apartment, $250 for a single- family home, and $10,000 for a landmark building or to fund a significant update to the model.

"Obviously, there was an oversight when it came to the tower. It would be nice if somebody stepped up and made the model more complete," said Bob Bender, chairman of Community Board 8's Parks and Recreation Committee.

How much would it cost a benevolent Riverdalian to buy a miniature version of the tower and ensure its addition to the panorama?

"We'd have to talk to some of our mini-builders and see what it would take," Mr. Strauss said.

The Monument isn't the only piece of New York City missing from the model. People tell the museum about missing local landmarks "all the time," Mr. Strauss said.

Sixty thousand structures were added as part of an update in 1992, but even then the Bell Tower didn't get its due.

As people pay to own their favorite New York buildings, the panorama will slowly evolve and, the museum hopes, more closely mirror the city in real time. In the meantime, the museum expects to keep hearing from New Yorkers who want their favorite spots added.

"People know their own neighborhood better than any mapmaker could," Mr. Strauss said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:28 PM

^^^ 895,000 individual buildings! That boggles the mind.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Another shot of the Panorama...

Rex Roof

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 3:22 PM
low life in a tall place

Some more of the insane downtown Shanghai model. As someone else wrote, most cities in China have an Urban Planning Exhibition Hall with a big scale model like this.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 2:41 AM
Old Fart Forumer

I'm in awe of how many man-hours and skill it must take to build something like that.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 11:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I kick myself for not checking out that Shanghai model when I was there. I heard about it on my second-to-last day but didn't make the effort to go. Stupid, stupid me.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:36 PM
cities|transit|croissants

There's a cool model of Washington at the National Building Museum, but they don't let you take pictures of it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I kick myself for not checking out that Shanghai model when I was there. I heard about it on my second-to-last day but didn't make the effort to go. Stupid, stupid me.
Sorry to hear that PG. At least you were in Shanghai with plenty of real life tall buildings to see in full 1:1 scale.

Anyway, when I was in Guangzhou, I took a few photos of this model in late 2004, before the Twin Towers were designed, but were considered. There's also no TV Tower.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 7:32 AM

Looks like some of the newer models are built of cast acrylic. That's gotta be expensive, running at $50/sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
A better view of the downtown Detroit model in the RenCen lobby:

Mike Russell

Oh good, they've repaired it. A massive chunk of Lafayette Park was leveled. I think a child fell on top of it, knocking the casing over the highrises.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 12:02 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2329542.story

Quote:
The Chicago Architecture Foundation is putting together a scale model of Chicago at its headquarters on Michigan Avenue in celebration of the centennial of the Burnham Plan.

Beginning this week, a 25- by-35-foot model of the city will be open for viewing, free of charge at the Chicago Architecture Foundation, inspired by similar models in Beijing and Shanghai that show how those cities also have rapidly grown and changed.

The display portrays more than four square miles of the city, from the lakefront on the east to Halsted Street on the west and Oak Street on the north to 16th Street to the south. It contains an exact model of every building in the area. There are more than 1,000 of them, from a 3-foot-high Sears Tower down to old two-story storefronts.

"We're not aware of any city model that has a footprint of this size and scale anywhere else in this country," said Cathy Tinker, owner of Columbian Model Works and Exhibit, whose employees have been painstakingly installing the display in the atrium of the Santa Fe Building, 224 S. Michigan Ave., the foundation's headquarters.

Foundation Vice President Gregory Dreicer credited the idea to Mayor Richard Daley, who was intrigued by similar large-scale city models he saw in Beijing and Shanghai. He said the mayor urged the foundation to build one for Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 1:12 PM
Bah!

I've been meaning to stop by this thread for awhile now but must have gotten sidetracked every time. I'm glad I finally stopped by.
Fascinating!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:06 PM
All aboard the Failboat

"We're not aware of any city model that has a footprint of this size and scale anywhere else in this country,"

Ummm, New York? (not exactly that scale, but it is quite immense in area and detail)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 5:57 AM
Astorian

I would love to own my apartment building for $250 dollars, but hell $10,000 dollars to own a signature building, that's crazy expensive.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 7:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
"We're not aware of any city model that has a footprint of this size and scale anywhere else in this country,"

Ummm, New York? (not exactly that scale, but it is quite immense in area and detail)
I think it's a reference to the "exact" scale, meaning building size. The Chicago model is larger in that sense, though obviously the New York model is much larger.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 11:44 PM

Here are the photos I took recently of the Chicago model. Not as immense as some on here, but still pretty big, and very detailed.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 12:52 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ thanks for sharing your pics. Not sure what exactly it is, but these city models fascinate me.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 1:33 AM

Great thread!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos