HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 2:19 PM

I also like the massing and the tower is generally pretty good, however I agree in that the Richards St Podium side is absolutely horrible. That pretty much looks like most of the 60's era social housing projects in Toronto and Montreal. Believe me, they do nothing for the street. Does anyone know whether that part of the podium is indeed rental housing?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yeah, if the final product is anything like the model, I like it!
I think we all said the same about The Mark and its massing and look how that's turning out once clear glass and cheap spandrel are applied.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 9:13 PM

Actually I never liked the Mark, always found it boring...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
testify

the massing on the mark is great, but the unique site exigencies mean that its glory is enjoyed mostly by people coming off the granville street bridge, a sort of introduction to downtown that promises false. this richards street project will see a solid 7-8 story street wall the length of a real city block (or most of it), a rarity in the terminal city.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:35 AM

Thanks!
I like the alley side of the podum better than the Richards side.

It would have been nice if the Richards/Pacific corner were the same all the way up.
That first pic shows that they are angling the glass volume outwards as it rises up the tower
- so that the glass volume "emerges" from the balconies
- but I don't think it's really noticeable given the balconies are visually in the way (unless it were a heavily tinted glass colour)

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
the massing on the mark is great, but the unique site exigencies mean that its glory is enjoyed mostly by people coming off the granville street bridge, a sort of introduction to downtown that promises false. this richards street project will see a solid 7-8 story street wall the length of a real city block (or most of it), a rarity in the terminal city.
The Mark was designed ONLY to be seen from the Granville bridge. In every other angle it looks horrible, even including a close-up street version of the same angle as from the bridge, because one can see how terrible the podium is. Even that curtain wall element is turning out all spandrelly

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 1:30 AM

I think what I like about this building is how the floorplates rise all the way from the ground to the roof in the same form or uninterrupted. Makes the the building look far taller than it actually is.(stating the obvious I suppose)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:35 PM

Looks like lots of curtain wall on the one facade, hopefully it turns out well and doesn't get cut back.

I don't like the look of the Richards podium either, but maybe someone can enlighten me as to why it is anti urban or bad for the neighbourhood? I would think the long deep balconies would facilitate more usage and therefore more vibrancy.

Is it how it meets the street? Because that does look pretty poor.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 7:51 PM

I think the Richards balconies create a lot of sun shading for the units, making them dark inside. The balconies may end up getting cluttered with stuff.
If the balcony enclosures are glass,they may be transparent enough to allow light in.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 12:06 AM

Non-support at the UDP August 14, 2013.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/commit...l-20130814.pdf

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 8:12 PM

What does this vote of non support actually mean in this stage?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 9:43 PM

They'll have to make some changes to address the issues identified by the panel.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 7:29 PM

Looks like they are taking down the signage from the existing building today. Small steps of progress...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 8:00 PM

When does the Storage Wars episode take place here?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
The Mark was designed ONLY to be seen from the Granville bridge. In every other angle it looks horrible, even including a close-up street version of the same angle as from the bridge, because one can see how terrible the podium is. Even that curtain wall element is turning out all spandrelly
Haha very true. The only time it looks good is at night from the Granville Bridge. From any other time of day from any other vantage point it looks terrible.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 8:17 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Updated to reflect new project name.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 4:23 PM

I don't think these are new, but including them for the sake of records. It's a nice tower with some heigth, but this site would be perfect for a landmark tower that would be significantly taller than the surrounding ones. A 150m+ tower at this site would be amazing.

http://www.vancouver4life.com

http://www.mikestewart.ca/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:55 PM

Wensite is up

http://www.onni.com/new-homes/metro-...the-charleson/

Also there has been a huge banner put up wrapping around the storage building Richards and pacific

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:19 PM

What about the development on the north end of that block, I thought it was going first?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:02 AM

I'm wondering with these models that are made to showcase upcoming condos, are they making up buildings that don't exist in any form or plan whatsoever? For instance on the other corner of Richards and Drake I've seen no mention anywhere of a building going in where the existing BC Ambulance building is? Was just wondering if anyone knows if there is any info on this piece of land or the implied new building there from the info given in this model? or if this was likely to have been made up to make the project they are selling look better? Is there any official place I could look to find the answer? Like how long the existing lease is for BC Ambulance, or the existing other building? Figured this forum is the best place to ask. Thanks for any info on this in advance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver