HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:24 PM

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:09 AM

Here’s Rev. 4 of my 2018 list of Austin’s tallest projects that have at least one building 150’ tall or taller or appear to based on available information.

There are five status types:
U/C – Cement has been poured
Site Demo – At least one structure on the site has been or is being demolished
Site Prep – Dirt is moving or utility work is underway
Proposed – A specific project has been announced or project documents have been filed with the city
Planned – A project is envisioned, but no specific project has been announced or had building permits filed with the city

For this Rev. I have moved the “Planned” projects to the bottom of the list. Even though they may be viable projects with tall buildings, I didn’t want them to be listed with the projects that are further along in the development process.

Some of the “Proposed” projects are having trouble getting underway. But I still list the projects as “Proposed” if the original developer owns the site or the site was sold with an approved site plan.

Projects highlighted in Green are underway per the developer, and may have a status other than “U/C”.

Projects highlighted in yellow were completed in the current calendar year and have been removed from the project count.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:33 AM

Thanks for the updated list of projects TheATX. That makes it so much easier to keep up with everything. It can get confusing with so much going on.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:15 PM

Nice work ATX. Thanks for that, very helpful.

Just drove pretty much the entire downtown, I like to that when I want to think. Few things stood out to me.

Traffic is a nonissue. I spent an hour cross crossing downtown, sure it wasn’t rush hour....but it was surprisingly easy to and prohibitive traffic was nonexistent.

Colorado is going to be a really cool street in a few years.

Guadalupe could be an amazing street once the Republic, Post Office, 600 Guad, and the other one across the street I heard about last year. I wish it would just happen faster than 3-5 years.

Lastly, anyone know what’s happening in the parking lot at the corner of 5th and Colorado, across from Lonesome Dove?

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Lastly, anyone know what’s happening in the parking lot at the corner of 5th and Colorado, across from Lonesome Dove?
New restaurant/bar project: https://austin.towers.net/restaurant...-empty-corner/

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:06 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here’s Rev. 4 of my 2018 list of Austin’s tallest projects that have at least one building 150’ tall or taller or appear to based on available information.

There are five status types:
U/C – Cement has been poured
Site Demo – At least one structure on the site has been or is being demolished
Site Prep – Dirt is moving or utility work is underway
Proposed – A specific project has been announced or project documents have been filed with the city
Planned – A project is envisioned, but no specific project has been announced or had building permits filed with the city

For this Rev. I have moved the “Planned” projects to the bottom of the list. Even though they may be viable projects with tall buildings, I didn’t want them to be listed with the projects that are further along in the development process.

Some of the “Proposed” projects are having trouble getting underway. But I still list the projects as “Proposed” if the original developer owns the site or the site was sold with an approved site plan.

Projects highlighted in Green are underway per the developer, and may have a status other than “U/C”.

Projects highlighted in yellow were completed in the current calendar year and have been removed from the project count.

OUTSTANDING! Thank you. Do you also have the site plan numbers which correspond to these projects?

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
OUTSTANDING! Thank you. Do you also have the site plan numbers which correspond to these projects?
I bookmark about a dozen or so site plans that I'm tracking, but I don't keep them in a list.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 10:13 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
I bookmark about a dozen or so site plans that I'm tracking, but I don't keep them in a list.
No worries. Thanks.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Exclusive: One of the Top 20 restaurants in Austin closes suddenly
http://dining.blog.mystatesman.com/2...oses-suddenly/

Quote:
Speer says he plans to open a new restaurant where the empty lot is at Fifth and Colorado streets in the months ahead.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:07 PM

My weekend would be amazing if a bored talented person took some of these project proposals and photoshopped them into a current skyline pic.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
My weekend would be amazing if a bored talented person took some of these project proposals and photoshopped them into a current skyline pic.
seconded

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:46 PM

Here's a mixed use project called Urban East that St. Croix is advertising for Southeast Austin. The office building is 100,000 square feet and they mention 2 apartment buildings with ground floor retail, all on 7.5 acres.

According to the website the floor plates for the office building are ~35,000 square feet, meaning it is probably 3 stories tall with ground floor retail and 2 stories of office above. However, the only rendering on their website and in their marketing materials makes it look like a huge mixed use development with large 10+ story office buildings in the background, connected by a skybridge. If you look at the site in Google Maps, there are low rise apartments surrounding it. St. Croix describes it as high density but I'm having a hard time reconciling the rendering with the building description. Maybe that's a future fully-built-out vision, although it seems like a lot for 7.5 acres. I guess I need to see a site plan.

That said, some dense mixed use in Southeast Austin would be great. Ballpark is going to take a decade to get built out.

http://stcroixcra.com/properties/?eb...d=322087-lease

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:13 PM

Here's the site plan ap for 6400 Riverside. It's been awaiting approval for about a year. I've been checking on it occasionally, but I haven't noticed anything that could be as nice as that rendering. It is eligible for 120' buildings with a density bonus which would justify the 10-story building in the rendering. But I only noticed a mention of a five-story apartment building and a five-story parking garage in the case file.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=616743

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:12 PM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...or-new-hq.html
Quote:
Austin Energy seeks 300,000 square feet for new headquarters

By Will Anderson – Digital Editor, Austin Business Journal
May 30, 2018, 7:59am

Austin Energy is looking for a new headquarters where it can consolidate its 1,700 employees.

The city-owned electric utility is working with CBRE Group Inc. to find about 300,000 square feet to replace the dozen or so sites it currently has, the Austin America-Statesman reports.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 11:58 PM

I love this quote from the Austin Energy spokesman in the ABJ article. Low expectations coupled with fiscal responsibility.

Quote:
"We don’t anticipate working in a luxurious space. We're just looking for something that gets us together at a reasonable cost."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
I love this quote from the Austin Energy spokesman in the ABJ article. Low expectations coupled with fiscal responsibility.
hahahah.. such PR BS!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 6:50 PM
Everywhere all at once

This is very much conjecture at this point, but imagine for a moment that Austin Energy seeks to be the office tenant of Block 185, giving a banner local company a prominent headquarters, right across the creek from the power station...and then when they realize how gross it is having all this great public space around a power station, they might invest the money to either repurpose it to take up less space/become more of a landmark...or even remove it all together.

Maybe not so much even conjecture as a total pipe dream, but still.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:57 PM

New AULCC backup documents describe a potential tower development at the state Employee Retirement System building at 200 East 18th Street. These files are just related to potential tower crane radius, no other info.

Quote:
The project proposes to redevelop the existing site located at 200 E 18th Street. The project is submitting to AULCC for the
tower crane radius area during the preliminary stage of design to identify potential conflicts with the tower crane. The tower
crane will have a 196-foot jib length.
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ne_PLAN_01.pdf

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ne_DATA_01.xls

Last edited by Max Tower; Jun 7, 2018 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:02 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tower View Post
New AULCC backup documents describe a potential tower development at the state Employee Retirement System building at 200 East 11th Street. These files are just related to potential tower crane radius, no other info.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ne_PLAN_01.pdf

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ne_DATA_01.xls
Interesting. The address is actually 200 East 18th Street. It's technically in the Capitol Complex. Here's the site:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...4!4d-97.736493

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Though I went to the US a couple of times (as a tourist only), I've never seen so many dead parking garages.
This is extraordinary to me. Garages over other garages for a pretty long way, over several blocks on Streetview.... Impressive.

It's something of that low materialist culture. Thankfully, culture is always on the move, by definition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin