HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:50 PM

WESTSIDE Development Thread

"Westside" Atlanta has become a major growth area in the city and I thought it would be nice to have a thread to capture all of the development news.

Tilford Yard marketed for redevelopment

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...keted-for.html

Quote:
CSX Corp. is marketing its sprawling railyard in West Midtown for a new redevelopment.

The decision comes almost a year after it selected real estate services firm Colliers International-Atlanta for guidance on a strategy for the nearly 300-acre property, Tilford Yard.

The more than 60-year-old terminal stretches just west of Marietta Road northward toward Cobb County.

Tilford Yard is just north of the 280-acre Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry and a future segment of the Atlanta Beltline. It's easy to see a possible Beltline spur one day linking the southern end of Tilford Yard to Marietta Boulevard.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Tilford Yard marketed for redevelopment

Can we get MARTA looking at this? Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a master planned community put on this property, with an implement to later add a Marta heavy rail line from Bankhead to Cobb.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Can we get MARTA looking at this? Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a master planned community put on this property, with an implement to later add a Marta heavy rail line from Bankhead to Cobb.
I live on one of the terminating streets that backs up to this terminal. I've always thought that we should look to the redevelopment of the Howard Hughes Airport in LA as an example of how to redevelop this area.

The area is now called Playa Vista:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playa_Vista,_Los_Angeles

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnihiser View Post
I live on one of the terminating streets that backs up to this terminal. I've always thought that we should look to the redevelopment of the Howard Hughes Airport in LA as an example of how to redevelop this area.

The area is now called Playa Vista:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playa_Vista,_Los_Angeles
Playa Vista is an interesting area. I was just in L.A. last month and visited this site as my company has an office here. It felt like a great area for day workers, but i'm not sure how fun it would be to live there. There are new luxury apartments around the mixed-used developments there with some generic retail, but it all felt very..transient, for lack of a better term. It didn't feel like a real neighborhood, just one designed to entertain people who didn't want to commit to living in the neighborhood for more than a year or two. And it was the least pedestrian friendly area of the city I've been to, which is saying a lot because it's L.A. I walked from one side of W Jefferson to the other to get into Whole Foods and couldn't figure out how to scale the parking deck to get into the actual store. It was absurd that the developers didn't plan for easy pedestrian access, highlighting the area's (and city at large) dependency on cars.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:11 PM

Wow! Yet another site with incredible potential. there's so many possibilities here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta