Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
exactly.
Haha you don't know. Stop pretending.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Might be a generational thing, but I’ve heard PLENTY of local people use the terms “The Bay” and “The Town”. In fact, the Golden State Warriors have actual jerseys that they wear that sport those names. The fact you haven’t heard this is really bizarre.

Also, “NorCal” is widely used and accepted amongst born and raised locals too. Especially in the context of comparing NorCal vs SoCal.
I thought we were talking about commonly used nicknames? I don't think what Warriors have on their jerseys means a lot to most people. The term "The Bay" is common. The term "The Town" to refer to Oakland is probably something only people living in Oakland or thereabouts, or a small minority of other people of would say. But it's not that common elsewhere. Most Northern Californians would rather not think of Oakland at all if they can help it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:30 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I don't think what Warriors have on their jerseys means a lot to most people.
The Warriors are the 3rd most valuable team in the NBA, currently valued at $3.1 billion. They're #1 in the league in jersey sales. And in fact, their "The Town" apparel accounts for over 30% of their store sales.

The Town' Jersey Reaches Franchise Record in Sales

What they have on their jerseys means quite a bit actually.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:36 AM

This native Bostonian feels like puking from just reading "Beantown." No one from New England - no one - uses this. New York sports journalists and sports radio even know better.

On the flip side, we use "The Hub" all the time. It's a wicked killah nickname.

"Masshole" is our N-word. It's a reappropriated term of endearment those same New York sports writers coined in the late 90s. If you're a Bay Stater, you can use it in any and all circumstances. If you're a fellow New Englander (especially from NH), you can use it in nearly all circumstances and we know it's good-natured ribbing. If you're from anywhere else other than New York / New Jersey, you'll get the cold shoulder. If you're a Tri-Stater and you use it, them's fighting words. And if you're a Tri-Stater at a Fenway game, you might get a Sam Adams cracked over your dome.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:41 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
The Warriors are the 3rd most valuable team in the NBA, currently valued at $3.1 billion. They're #1 in the league in jersey sales. And in fact, their "The Town" apparel accounts for over 30% of their store sales.

The Town' Jersey Reaches Franchise Record in Sales

Not to mention their jersey sponsorship deal with Rakuten is worth the most at $60 million over 3 years, about double the next most expensive jersey sponsorship deal in the NBA. If their marketing department deemed "The Town" worthy enough of a nickname to put on their jersey, that's legit enough for me. The Warriors also used to sport the iconic "The City" jerseys when they played in SF.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Haha you don't know. Stop pretending.
Don't know what? Stop pretending what? If for whatever reason you choose to respond to my post, be clear.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The term "The Town" to refer to Oakland is probably something only people living in Oakland or thereabouts, or a small minority of other people of would say.
"Other people"? Really? Who exactly are these "other people" you speak of?

Quote:
Most Northern Californians would rather not think of Oakland at all if they can help it.
Says who? You? What entitles you to speak for or otherwise imply you are the vocal authority, spokesperson or representative for an area of more than 15 million people?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Exactly.

Minor clarification - it means quite a bit to everyone except an elitist, uninformed person who cluelessly spews off on a message board.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:04 AM

To a New Englander, "The Town" could only mean Charlestown.

Hence the title of Ben Affleck's 2010 crime thriller.

Just saying.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
To a New Englander, "The Town" could only mean Charlestown.

Hence the title of Ben Affleck's 2010 crime thriller.

Just saying.
Yep, and some also refer to Cleveland as "The Land". Coincidentally, "The Land" appeared on Cleveland Cavs alternate jerseys right around the same time "The Town" appeared on Golden State Warriors alternate jerseys.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Toronto:

Hogtown
The Big Smoke
T-Dot
The 6ix
I agree, both "T-Dot" and The 6ix (credit Drake - not!) sound super corny, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Have you ever met any Black people - whether from the Bay Area, California, or in general? Not intending to offend, but I am seriously wondering as "The Bay", "The Town", and, for that matter, "The Land" are all very common nicknames used among Blacks I know.
Met any black people--well for most of my working life, in the East Bay, I worked with dozens of them. "The Bay" for people of every race in my aquaintance is, well, the Bay (the body of water) or sometimes short for "the Bay Area", but never meaning just the city of San Francisco. I can see "the Town" possibly referring to Oakland among Oaklanders when in Oakland, which is often called "Oaktown" around "the Bay", but if you referred to "the Town" talking to somebody in San Francisco they'd almost certainly ask you, "Which town?"

Quote:
the Golden State Warriors have actual jerseys that they wear that sport those names ("the Bay" and "the Town"). The fact you haven’t heard this is really bizarre.

Also, “NorCal” is widely used and accepted amongst born and raised locals too. Especially in the context of comparing NorCal vs SoCal.
I've seen those jerseys--for a couple of bucks at Walgreen's. Wasn't sure if they were authorized by the team. But, of course, they currently play in Oakland and, again, "the Town" may be something used in Oakland by Oaklanders but it isn't used in San Francisco and certainly not FOR San Francisco. When the team moves, we'll see what happens to those jerseys. Interestingly, while "The City" is frequently used in San Francisco, I lately get the sense there's an increasing resentment at the term in the rest of the Bay Area among those who think it suggests anything outside the city is hicksville.

I agree about NorCal. I use it all the time. So does everyone I know.

But here's another one: 4 decades ago when I was driving cross country and CB radio was a "thing", San Francisco was often called "the gay Bay" on CB. I'm not sure if the locals, of which I was not yet one, would have approved.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Apr 12, 2018 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:01 AM
Paradise Island

Minny. It seems like an east coast/west coast sportscaster thing. People here hate it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:03 AM

L.A. people aren't that offended by names, so "L.A." is acceptable. But pejorative "Smogtown" offends, since the air is pretty good now on most days. Most days you can see the mountains. "50 suburbs in search of a City" is also somewhat offensive & untrue, since DTLA and the center city are developing nicely and densely, although the homeless crisis is awful. "LaLaland" is OK since the movie, but the implication that L.A. people don't work hard is untrue. Many hold multiple jobs to pay the bills. Look at the success of Elon Musk's SpaceX rockets, made in nearby Hawthorne. San Diegans are pretty laid back, but "Dago" is unliked.

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 12, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:19 AM

“The OC” But it’s a good way to tell if the person is a twit whose geography comes from bad television.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:47 AM
BANNED

On Oahu, going to Honolulu (the census designated area, since technically the whole island is Honolulu) is known as gong into "town".

"The Town" for Oakland might be a thing but it's certainly not because of the Dubs' jersey. As someone else eluded to, that's like calling Cleveland "The Land" because the Cavs have it on theirs.

Some people certainly may do it, sure. But there are people that call Chicago "The Windy City", too. Doesn't make it any less cringey.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Toronto:

Hogtown
The Big Smoke
T-Dot
The 6ix
Especially because that one is stolen from London (where no one uses it).

The only commonly used nickname for London that doesn’t make you sound corny is a matter-of-fact reference to it as “the Capital”. The weather presenters on TV, etc, will often use this. Otherwise, it’s two syllables, just say London.

In Chicago, do people still say “the Chi” aside from trying to sound like a rapper?

In NYC, I don’t recall people ever using a nickname in speech to refer to the city. I do know people who sometimes say “BK” for Brooklyn.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:18 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
SF: I've never met ...anyone that calls Oakland "the Town."
Well I'm from Oakland and just about everyone in Oakland I know under age 50 calls Oakland 'The Town'.

I first noticed it when I came home after 2 years in Brazil in the early 1990s. I attribute it to local rappers from that time and I think they slashed 'Oak' from 'Oaktown', which I almost never hear anymore.

imo 'town business' is the most amusing term imo and people always say in Oakland...
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea.../town-business

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:29 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

For Cincinnati, I don't hear anyone refer to it as The Nati. Cincy or simply Cincinnati is the general usage.

For Columbus, no one uses Cbus. There's even a WTF moment here --> http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-nickname.html

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:32 PM

Sportscasters and such referring to Miami as "South Beach".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions