HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:29 PM

Anyone know whats going on at the Conoco/Jenny's Market at 3550 N Downing St?

Gas pumps completely dug up and convenience store and attached retail space behind fence and vacated.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:56 PM

Colorado growth will slow to decade-old levels in 2020, CU forecast says
Dec 9, 2019 By Ed Sealover – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Colorado in 2020 will create the lowest number of jobs the state has put out since 2011 and will experience its slowest pace of economic growth since the Great Recession, according to the annual Colorado Business Economic Outlook from University of Colorado-Boulder Leeds School of Business. But while the forecast continues the “growing but slowing” trend of recent years, it does not predict that the state will slip into recession next year, emphasized Richard Wobbekind...
Maybe for the state but for Denver I'll guess an uptick in growth from last year.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:31 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
This is my understanding as well. No height restrictions on the north side.

I just looked it up, and in the zoning code it says that Downtown FAR is 10.0. That seems surprisingly low given that we have 65 story towers but I'm always surprised how much usable floor area is actually lost when mocking up a building for a given site - plus there are also density bonuses in there that I didn't read in detail. So for a relatively small parcel, roughly 20 stories is probably a fair guess for an FAR of 10.

If a developer takes advantage of all the density bonuses, the max FAR can go as high as 20. Also, parking does not count against the FAR.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
If a developer takes advantage of all the density bonuses, the max FAR can go as high as 20. Also, parking does not count against the FAR.
If parking doesn't count against FAR... could a developer build 8 floors of parking when they only need 5, then convert 3 floors of parking into office space when they suddenly realize it's underutilization? (and after a reasonably short amount of time) Or would the proposed 8 floors get flagged in a planning commission?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
SirLucasTheGreat... Love the photo tour.

Yes, I did do a double-take, twice.

Just checked and Harbinger Development no longer has this property on their site; must have been a quick check, nvm look.
With Harbinger taking this property off their website and the Markovsky's record, is this lot going to remain undeveloped for a while? There is no site development plan filed for this site.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
With Harbinger taking this property off their website and the Markovsky's record, is this lot going to remain undeveloped for a while? There is no site development plan filed for this site.
http://harbingerdevelopment.com/

It’s still on their website

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
http://harbingerdevelopment.com/

It’s still on their website
I see 650 17th Street. The Cottrell Building I thought was at 601 16th. Am I missing it on the site? I probably didn't phrase my last post well enough.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I see 650 17th Street. The Cottrell Building I thought was at 601 16th. Am I missing it on the site? I probably didn't phrase my last post well enough.
Ah my bad. I’m pretty sure that lot is going to be an open area for events and festivals. You can see it in the presentation about the new Upper Downtown.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
If parking doesn't count against FAR... could a developer build 8 floors of parking when they only need 5, then convert 3 floors of parking into office space when they suddenly realize it's underutilization? (and after a reasonably short amount of time) Or would the proposed 8 floors get flagged in a planning commission?
I doubt it would be allowed.

It's a moot point anyway. Parking is often in the 9' range floor-to-floor, and offices about 13'. Nobody would build office-compatible parking. Residential or hotel might be plausible but even that tends to be a foot more. Also, residential and hotel uses like skinny buildings vs. offices.

And then there's the issue of ramps...even if the basic parking floors are flat, you'd still have to tear out the ramps and replace them with new structure.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Ah my bad. I’m pretty sure that lot is going to be an open area for events and festivals. You can see it in the presentation about the new Upper Downtown.
From the Businessden article:

Harbinger’s website said the company plans to develop an approximately 315,000-square-foot mixed-use project at 601 16th St. The site is approximately 15,000 square feet, or 0.34 acres, which would indicate a project of that size likely would be at least 20 stories.

https://businessden.com/2019/10/02/b...s-nearby-site/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmandan03 View Post

Harbinger’s website said the company plans to develop an approximately 315,000-square-foot mixed-use project at 601 16th St. The site is approximately 15,000 square feet, or 0.34 acres, which would indicate a project of that size likely would be at least 20 stories.

The issue is that 601 16th is no longer on Harbinger's website, which suggests that whatever deal Harbinger had with Markowsky fell through. I think a 20-story apartment tower with ground floor retail would be the best use of this lot but there is no reason to suggest that anything will be constructed soon.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:26 PM

Pickard Chilton-designed 1144 Fifteenth garners national attention as top 10 project
December 9, 2019 By Kris Oppermann Stern - CREJ
Quote:
Pickard Chilton’s 1144 Fifteenth, a 40-story, 1.2 million-gross square-foot office tower project in Colorado that the firm designed for Hines, has been ranked fifth on Emporis’ 2018 Top Ten Skyscrapers List.
A repeat offender:
Quote:
The high-performance office tower has been recognized by a jury of international experts for Emporis, one of the world’s leading databases for building information. This is the third time a Pickard Chilton skyscraper has been recognized by Emporis; River Point, the 52-story, LEED Platinum certified, 1.2 million-gsf tower in Chicago, ranked seventh on Emporis’ 2017 Top Ten Skyscrapers List, and 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta was a finalist in 2006.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmandan03 View Post

https://www.downtowndenver.com/wp-co...ed-for-web.pdf

If you look at slide 3.5 you can clearly see it’s being used as an open, hangout, festival space.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this! It is crazy how hard Lennar is investing in Golden Triangle. If there projects all pan out, Golden Triangle will have a pretty decent skyline (not sure if you can use that term for 16-19 story buildings.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:36 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
https://www.downtowndenver.com/wp-co...ed-for-web.pdf

If you look at slide 3.5 you can clearly see it’s being used as an open, hangout, festival space.
From the presentation:

"The demolition of the Cottrell’s building may provide an opportunity to create a new, albeit temporary destination along 16th Street and generate excitement for the future of the Mall.

»Opportunity to activate lot until it is redeveloped"

This sounds more like a bright idea than anything concrete with any money lined up. It's not like the DDP is going to put $15M down on a prime 16th Street Mall lot for an activity area for pop up shops. I'm sure Makovsky is actively looking for a partner and maybe Harbringer has an option, but no firm contract in place, Or maybe it fell through and Makovsky is marketing the space. We shall see.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Pickard Chilton-designed 1144 Fifteenth garners national attention as top 10 project
December 9, 2019 By Kris Oppermann Stern - CREJ

A repeat offender:
LEED certification needs to drastically change it's parking and transportation scoring if you can earn LEED Gold with 11 stories of parking.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndj View Post
LEED certification needs to drastically change it's parking and transportation scoring if you can earn LEED Gold with 11 stories of parking.

Source

Very interesting...

Parking aside, your post got me digging into Pickard Chilton's other award winning project, the 52-story River Point project in Chicago. It turns out that Hines is the co-owner along with Ivanhoé Cambridge.

Ivanhoé Cambridge is now the owner of Two Tabor site. You think it's possible that Ivanhoé Cambridge, Hines and Pickard Chilton might team up to build a Two Tabor that looks like this?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:00 AM

Longtime lurker, first time caller...

Interesting to note that River Point is 52 stories and only has 150 parking spaces.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndj View Post
Longtime lurker, first time caller...

Interesting to note that River Point is 52 stories and only has 150 parking spaces.
I saw that, tried to confirm it elsewhere and couldn't but I assume that is accurate.

Understand that Chicago is the 3rd largest city with a population over 2.7 million people and while Denver builds 8 to 15 story apartment buildings, Chicago has been building 30 to 40-story apartment buildings. They have amazing density downtown.

With respect to Denver and 1144 15th street the parking isn't excessive by Denver standards according to Ken at DenverInfill.
Quote:
Parking: There will be a total of 840 vehicle parking spaces, including 10 electric car charging stations, as well as bike racks and 47 lockable bike storage lockers. One of the parking levels will also include a full-service car wash. The 840 parking spaces results in a parking ratio of 1.27 spaces per 1,000 SF of space, which is fairly low. For comparison purposes, the parking ratio of Hines’ other downtown project under development, 1601 Wewatta, is 1.35 spaces per 1,000 SF. A new 16-story office project that broke ground on Tuesday in the Denver Tech Center called One Belleview Station, which bills itself as a “transit-oriented development,” has a parking ratio of 3.50 spaces per 1,000 SF.
Denver is certainly headed in the right direction and over time they may 'earn' less need for parking. The amount of parking is heavily influenced by the lenders in conjunction with the developer/owners.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West