HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

MNP Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 7:52 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
okay THAT'S where i know it from! thought it looked familiar.
Maybe a bit of GM's Renaissance Centre in Detroit, too...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 1:21 AM

From the UDP website - and it has disappeared form the DPB agenda:

1075 West Hastings Street (High Building Review)
DE: 414163
Use: To construct a new 36-storey mixed-use office/retail on this site.
Zoning: DD
Application Status: Complete
Review: First
Architect: Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership
Owner: Oxford Properties Group
Delegation: Mark Whitehead, Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership
Mark Thompson, Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership
Peter Kreuk, Durante Kreuk Landscape Architects
Mark Cote, Oxford Properties Group

Staff: Grant Miller and Sailen Black

EVALUATION: NON-SUPPORT (1-8)

Minutes to follow.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 3:28 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Minutes aren't available yet but there is someone here that would've attended and perhaps he could share his take on what took place.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:47 AM

It seemed like the UDP focused mainly on the ground plane and how it relates to the heritage building, the Guinness Tower, and Cordova Street. There was also discussion about whether the building achieved "architectural excellence", which is a requirement in the City's tall building review process for the UDP and the DPB, and there were differing opinions from the panelists around the table about whether that had been achieved. The environmental performance of the building was well received and the architect said the building is just shy of LEED Platinum.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 7:49 AM

Thanks.
Interesting about the architectural excellence, since one of the criteria would probably be to not outshine the Marine Building - so how do you do that and still be "excellent"?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 11:26 AM

I'm not surprised that was the issue. The tower, while somewhat bland isnt bad enough to warrant an 8-1 non-support vote, so I figured the issue must be with the treatment of the old club building which is an important heritage building.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 8:48 PM
BANNED

christ, even a boring mid rise has trouble being built here. the panel members just feel like they need to exercize their "power" and prevent development, in order to feel as though they are special. bunch of idiots.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:02 PM

Well this is the first meeting. There's always many issues to be addressed and refined over time, before the udp gives its blessing. Personally I think the tower design concept needs a total rethinking, so no amount of tweaking will do it for me. If the ground plane is such an issue, maybe open up the entire space with just the tower core and colummns penetrating the lowest 25 metres of the building elevation. If there's ever a city where a forest of skyscrapers should literally reflect the trees of the forest - canopy, trunk and all - it would be Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:46 PM
BANNED

Wow, I can't believe how many people in this thread are whining about how this building will only add to Vancouver's boring tabletop skyline. Have you guys really already forgotten about Shangri-La? (and to a lesser extent Wall Centre and the soon-to-be-completed Georgia)

Really?

Prometheus, have you read all of Ayn Rand's books or just most of them?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Wow, I can't believe how many people in this thread are whining about how this building will only add to Vancouver's boring tabletop skyline. Have you guys really already forgotten about Shangri-La? (and to a lesser extent Wall Centre and the soon-to-be-completed Georgia)

Really?

so u think one tallish building (shangri la) and a couple 150m slightly taller than table top towers are enough to break up the sea of 30 floor nonsense? nope. gotta have a few more than a whopping 3 towers rise above 150m. i think the turn will do good for starters. we need a big corporation to move their hq here... as for this 135m tower i think it looks okay, could be taller but ive learned to just accept anything with this town.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:35 AM

Big corporations dont just move their headquarters to a city like vancouver...

We need people to get off their ass and build some businesses in Vancouver.

The business community in Vancouver is very small, and it is as much a symptom of the people and local culture as it is taxes and incentives. Vancouver attracts a certain type of person, it just so happens that the type of person it attracts is more interested in spending a thursday evening hiking the mountains rather than working late.

Whether or not that is a bad thing is certainly up for debate, but that is the truth.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 1:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
hey! they're good books!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 2:04 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo88 View Post
hey! they're good books!
I realize every day a little more that your 'Rand Paul for senate' isn't a joke

The tower is (from the initial elevations, which are pretty tough to judge by) super bland, but it is up there. Navazan, I saw you complaining about Van in the Calgary forum the other day - the Bow is beautiful, btw - but am sort of wondering what you thought you'd be getting when you moved here? We're a pretty known quantity.

The reason that forumers shouldn't approve of reasonably-tall-but-ugly buildings can be summed up in 3 words: Fairmont Pacific Rim. Luckily 1021 has better massing but I still can't condone getting excited about something ugly because it's tall. I'd rather have 3 Jamesons than 1 FPR. Then again, I'd rather have 3 Wall Centres, period

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:34 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

We need people to get off their ass and build some businesses in Vancouver.
Okay... Get to it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:37 PM

Without sounding too presumptious, I hope I am well on my way. I'll let you know how things are going in 10 years or so.

If you really truly want something, I suggest you go out and do something about it, rather that just complaining about it on the internet. If you want Vancouver to be more than just a sleepy little west coast town... go out and get a business degree and make something happen. This city isnt going to be anything more than it is if its people dont make it so.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexYVR View Post
Nope, not a joke. Although I'm losing my enthusiasm for him...he's just not his father.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexYVR View Post

The tower is (from the initial elevations, which are pretty tough to judge by) super bland, but it is up there. Navazan, I saw you complaining about Van in the Calgary forum the other day - the Bow is beautiful, btw - but am sort of wondering what you thought you'd be getting when you moved here? We're a pretty known quantity.

The reason that forumers shouldn't approve of reasonably-tall-but-ugly buildings can be summed up in 3 words: Fairmont Pacific Rim. Luckily 1021 has better massing but I still can't condone getting excited about something ugly because it's tall. I'd rather have 3 Jamesons than 1 FPR. Then again, I'd rather have 3 Wall Centres, period
i was expecting a city that likes the idea of progress and development. its great here overall, and dense, but id love to see more office towers. thats why i was hoping this one would be approved right off the bat (hard to ask for, i know), because while it looks bland, its better than what itll probably become- a downsized generic 100m rectangle. if anything. i like its current design, office towers should look serious in my opinion. save the fancy styling for residential towers.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

A tower doesn't have to massive or gargantuan to be striking.
Take the Transamerica Pyramid in SF. I think it's one of the most striking buildings anywhere, but it's tall and elegant, with the "striking" quality imparted by the brilliant use of geometry in the design. (just my personal opinion of course. Others may hate it ...)
Agree completely!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navazan View Post
i was expecting a city that likes the idea of progress and development. its great here overall, and dense, but id love to see more office towers. thats why i was hoping this one would be approved right off the bat (hard to ask for, i know), because while it looks bland, its better than what itll probably become- a downsized generic 100m rectangle. if anything. i like its current design, office towers should look serious in my opinion. save the fancy styling for residential towers.
You realise this tower has not been denied approval right? It just did not recieve the support of the UDP... this is a very standard scenario and will likely not have much of an impact on this tower and we will likely end up with a better end product.

This tower will be built when the market dictates, and that will likely be unaffected by a few small hitches in the approval process.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:32 AM
testify

^ though the transamerica is the tallest building in sf...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver