HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:47 AM
Meh

111 photos from the Tower of the Americas ~ 7/14/07

This is the 2nd and finally round. I really had wanted to go out and take more pics, but time was an issue. My battery also died after these, so I wasn't able to take more, otherwise I surely would have. There's always next time.

This was the first time I've been back up there since the renovation of the tower which has expanded it considerably.

They've expanded the base to include retail gift shops, a new ground level cafe and even a 3D theatre which shows the "Eyes Over Texas" an aerial video of Texas. The price of a ticket has risen from around 4 dollars to $10.95 for adults. While that is a bit of an increase, I'm not complaining, because that price gets you onto the tower's observation deck, the Eyes Over Texas 4D video "ride" and into the restaurant at the top. The best part of this is that the ticket is good for all day the day you purchase it until 10 pm that evening. So you could buy a ticket at 8 am, visit the tower and then go back later at 9 pm that night and dine and check out the views. The ticket also gives you unlimited access to the 3D theatre ride. For photog's looking to take pictures from the tower day and night, this is very nice. So I was happy with that.

Also, do check out the Eyes Over Texas 4D Ride. It's a 15 minute video that takes you all across the state. I thought it could have been a bit more thorough, but it is fun. And if you've been walking around all day getting hot and tired it is a very nice thing to do. For anyone who hasn't gone yet, do check it out. I'm sure my fellow Austinites will get a kick out of it. They show one very cool view of the Frost Bank Tower from the air as well as downtown San Antonio flying over the Tower of the Americas. One note of caution, if you take your camera in with you, or any other electronics, word of advice, put them in your pocket or cover them up with your shirt. You'll know why when take the "ride".

A few of them have some blurry spots on them, those are smudge marks on the protective glass wall around the observation deck. Sorry about that. I tried to avoid them as best I could.

Anyway, enjoy!

One of the huge light structures that lights up the tower.

The base has been expanded outward following the same general design as the original, just bringing out further.

The lobby area. They've expanded it all the way around like this.

Cool stuff in the gift shop. They have all kinds of Tower of the Americas stuff. Shot glasses, whine glasses, key chains, little tower models and this, a 3D puzzle.

Something else which I thought was pretty cool is they have construction pictures of the tower. Sorry for the glares, it was impossible to avoid them.

The "top house" was actually built at ground level and then hoisted into place using hydraulic jacks.

Onto the views...

Grand Hyatt San Antonio Convention Center Hotel.

Penthouse port-a-potty.

They were in the process of raising one of the cranes. Notice the red structure around the top of the shaft. That's a jack that attaches to the shaft of the tower crane. New sections of the shaft are hoisted into place using the crane's boom. They're moved along the boom to this jack which brings them in through an opening. As the jack rises they hoist the new section into place and then secure it using steel rods that pierce the legs of the crane's shaft. Once the new section is in place the jack lifts up another level and the whole process starts over with another section.

The Emily Morgan, err, Ramada Inn Hotel, built in 1926.

One of my favorite buildings in downtown. Such a neat little building.

The crane for the 17-story Marriott.

The Alamo from above.

One of my favorite skyscrapers in Texas, the Tower Life Building.

The coolest McDonald's in Texas:

Beautiful building here.

Casa Rio.

Around Sunset Station & I-37.

Staybridge Suites at Sunset Station.

I-37 making its way to Corpus Christi.

Vidorra construction site with the base of the tower crane there.

Sunset Station itself.

The Alamodome.

Outside of downtown...

Pearl Brewery factory. Nice architecture for a beer factory.

Towers on Parklane. San Antonio's tallest outside of downtown at 368 feet.

Anyone know what church that is? It looks beautiful.

View looking down towards Hemisphere Park with the convention center to the right 560 feet below.

This is the outer observation level. It's open air, but there's a ~7 foot glass barrier then bars above that. I do hope they keep the glass clean, it wasn't too bad, but there were some hand prints from kiddos.

The indoor observation deck which is just a few feet higher than the outdoor deck. Below this level and the outdoor deck is the restaurant level.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 21, 2007 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:49 AM
Meh

A couple of panos here.

>>>>Scroll>>>>

View of the top of the Grand Hyatt during construction.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:10 AM

Very badass. A perfect day and a high powered lens. Awesome shots.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:30 AM
Meh

Thanks. It was actually very humid outside, and as a result, hazy. These are the cleared up shots. It was pretty bad out actually. About an hour after I was finished taking pictures a small shower came over downtown for 20 minutes or so. With a few of the shots of the buildings outside of downtown I could barely see what I was shooting at because of the humidity. I just pointed the camera where I could see some buildings and clicked away. That is such a great view, though. Glad to see the tower reopened, and I really like the job they did on it. As River North and Sunset Station start to fill in the views will be even better.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:34 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Kev, may I repost these pictures on another site?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:37 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Kev, may I repost these pictures on another site?
What website?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:59 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Another forum I post at. It's a city related forum, related to San Antonio I mean.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:04 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Another forum I post at. It's a city related forum, related to San Antonio I mean.
I guess, but can I have a link? I'd be curious to see what folks say. Please credit me also.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 21, 2007 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:57 PM
SR United Balla

Great pictures Kevin, too bad you didnt make it to the pool on the 23? floor of the Drury Inn. BTW that church you asked about is called Little Flower.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nano View Post
Great pictures Kevin, too bad you didnt make it to the pool on the 23? floor of the Drury Inn. BTW that church you asked about is called Little Flower.
Thanks. San Antonio is full of gems like that. Sometimes the city really doesn't get enough credit for its good merits. So I tried to zero in on those with my photos.

I really wish I had had more time, my battery went dead, plus I wasn't feeling all that great that day thanks to a cold.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 2:00 PM

So many bad photos from the Hemesphire (mine were too) until YOU took these! Fantastic job!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 4:51 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I think thats about the best photo thread Ive seen for SA in a LONG time! Awesome shots!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:28 AM

Kevin,
Awesome job on your pics. Also, kudos to your camera. You could easily point out USAA/Wurzbach Towers/Med Center in one of your photos. Very cool stuff.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:47 AM
Meh

Thanks Chicago3rd, texboy and BSofAO4.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:34 AM

wow,awesome shots.I wish Austin had the tower life building and th riverwalk,Those are the 2 best things about SA downtown.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:31 AM
Meh

There are a lot of great things about San Antonio, and those are definitely two of them.

I'm rather jealous of the Tower of the Americas.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

You can see the hangers of Randolph AFB upper right hand corner. You can see Randolph's Taj Mahal too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Anyone know what church that is? It looks beautiful.
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower
http://user.dcci.com/ocdokla/default.htm

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 6:36 PM
Endless Moments...

What a nice picture tour...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 12:29 AM

Props, props, props. Some of the best photos of San Antonio I've ever seen. Thanks for it all!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 1:59 AM

Kevin, It has been answered already but the Church you like is the Basilica of the LIttle Flower, I live about 1 mile northwest from there.

Just FYI, the Emily Morgan Hotel used to be the old Medical Arts Building. It was in the middle fifties when I spent a night there in the hospital on the top floor to have a tonsillectomy. As a child I used to hate that building because of the elevators. They were real jerky and fast and every time it would go up I felt my stomach stayed down in the lower floors.

BTW regarding one of your favorite buildings, the Tower Life, I wonder if anybody knows what those red rags are at the base of the tower itself. I think they look crappy especially when we have high winds and they are wagging all over the place. I wish they were removed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio