HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The wheel is so far from Manhattan, that the view will be disappointing compared to other great urban wheels like London's, Singapore, etc.
I disagree,this issue of Ferris wheels in urban areas was brought up recently in the shards thread and i think gimmicks like large exuberant carnival rides do not belong in dense areas like Manhattan. Its a large tourist trap and i'm glad that this tacky trend will not be anywhere near icons like the ESB, Chrysler or the WTC. Just my two cents.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The wheel is so far from Manhattan, that the view will be disappointing compared to other great urban wheels like London's, Singapore, etc.
True, you'll be farther from the tallest buildings, but I think the overall harbor, ocean, skyline and hill views will be pretty cool.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:50 AM
New Yorker for life

^ The Wheel is not being built to primarily view the skyline. It's a view of the entirety of the harbor, which includes the skyline. People who want to only view the skyline will just continue to visit the observation decks, which the City will have plenty of.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-staten-island

Ferry operators cruise to Staten Island
Development projects like the New York Wheel spur operators to add new routes to the borough.

Lisa Fickenscher
March 2, 2014

Quote:
Two major development projects on Staten Island - the New York Wheel and Empire Outlets - have the city's ferry operators drawing up plans to transport millions of visitors a year to the borough that has been served for a half-century exclusively by one ferry.

If the developers of those megaprojects are right, and some 6 million annual visitors begin flocking to sleepy Staten Island in two years - when the attractions are expected to be completed - every major ferry company in the city, including New York Water Taxi, BillyBey Ferry Co., Statue Cruises and Seastreak, will be dropping off riders at a dock just a short distance from the St. George Terminal, where the Staten Island Ferry lands.

All those businesses are currently in negotiations with the New York Wheel and BFC Partners, which is developing the outlet center, evaluating whether they need to purchase more boats and how much they should charge to transport tourists from points in midtown Manhattan, New Jersey, Brooklyn and Queens directly to the North Shore of Staten Island. There are no regulatory impediments standing in the way of expanded service. The city is seeking a developer to build and operate a new ferry landing.

"There will be millions of passengers who will want to get to a part of Staten Island that is by far most accessible by boat," said Paul Goodman, chief executive of BillyBey, the company that owns some NY Waterway ferries. "If we are talking about large crowds, we would have to purchase more vessels" before the wheel opens in 2016, he added.

Others are making commitments now. New York Water Taxi just signed a letter of intent with the developers to add a St. George stop to its existing hop-on, hop-off tour package, which makes stops in Brooklyn, lower Manhattan and midtown and costs $30.

"That gives [the attractions] access to our customers," said Brian McCabe, chief executive of New York Water Taxi. "As demand grows, you might see direct [routes]" from different parts of the city to Staten Island.

Michael Burke, chief operating officer of Statue Cruises, which has the exclusive contract to ferry visitors to Liberty and Ellis islands, would like to add a Staten Island stop, too, but conceded that security concerns would likely scuttle such a plan. Instead, his company is more apt to run a separate boat to Staten Island.

The ferry operators' main competition would not be each other but the Staten Island Ferry, which transports 20 million people a year to the borough on nine boats that operate seven days a week - and, most important, offers a free ride.

"The big unknown is how many people will use the Staten Island Ferry," said Mr. Burke. "I think a majority will go on the free boat."

To keep the cost competitive with the free option, Mr. Goodman of BillyBey said that subsidies either from the developers or from the city may be necessary. That could allow the boats to also cater to Staten Island commuters willing to pay a little more for direct service to midtown, for example. The city has already indicated that it will not subsidize new ferry service to St. George.

Another model could be one based on the Red Hook Ikea route offered by New York Water Taxi. The ride costs $10 round-trip, but Ikea shoppers who spend that amount or more in the store get a $5 discount on their purchase by showing their ferry ticket.

Travis Noyes, chief marketing officer of the wheel and senior vice president of Empire Outlets, has been charged with coordinating the marketing efforts of both projects, as well as with assessing the demand for each attraction. The Staten Island Ferry, he said, already transports more than 2 million tourists annually.

According to studies commissioned by the developers, an additional 1 million people will use the city-run ferry, while another million will pay a premium to board boats from points in the city other than lower Manhattan to travel directly to Staten Island.

The extra passenger volume should not put undue pressure on the Staten Island Ferry, he said, because most of the passengers going to the attractions would be traveling there during off-peak hours, not prime commuting times.

Staten Island could become a major tourist destination by 2016, if the developers' vision is realized. Combined, the two projects represent a $580 million investment. The New York Wheel, a 630-foot structure, will be the largest such attraction in the world, featuring glass-enclosed observation capsules that hold up to 40 people for a 38-minute ride.

The wheel will be able to accommodate as many as 1,400 passengers at a time, while Empire Outlets will include more than 100 designer stores, restaurants, a banquet facility and a 200-room hotel.

At night, the wheel will put on a show using $8 million worth of LED lighting that will act as a beacon, drawing people to St. George and the waters around it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:37 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf..._prepared.html

Question for Staten Islanders: Are you prepared for the soaring height of St. George's N.Y. Wheel?

By Virginia N. Sherry
March 11, 2014

Quote:
Here's a challenge: Can you identify the building that's Staten Island's tallest -- in height, or number of stories?

Why are we asking?

The New York Wheel, soon to be under construction on the St. George waterfront, will top off at 625 feet, a soaring scale almost as tall as the 51-story Met Life tower at One Madison Avenue on midtown Manhattan's east side.

Met Life -- the NYC-landmarked, 699-foot-tall building -- was constructed in 1909, and claimed fame until 1913 as the world's tallest.

The height of Staten Island's soon-to-come observation wheel obviously will not compete with the Empire State Building (1,250 feet) or the Chrysler Building (1,046 feet), two historic Manhattan skyscrapers.

But, at 625 feet, the Wheel will tower over every nearby structure on Staten Island's North Shore, including 18-story-tall Castleton Park Apartments at 185 St. Mark's Place, across the street from Curtis High School.

So here's the question:

Do you think North Shore and other Island residents are prepared for the Wheel's dramatic, unprecedented imprint on the neighborhood's until-now quite modest skyline?

Let us know what you think in the Comments section, below.

And watch for a follow-up story.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 1:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:55 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...en_island.html

New York Wheel 101 for Staten Island students on March 24

By Tracey Porpora
March 20, 2014

Quote:
Students are among the biggest curiosity seekers about the New York Wheel, which is putting the borough on the national map for a big reason.

That's why, on March 24, the South Shore Democratic Club is hosting an informational session for all interested Staten Island students about the upcoming Wheel project -- that will be 625 feet high and flank the Empire Outlets, 350,000-plus square feet of retail space coming to St. George.

The mammoth development represents the biggest private investment -- roughly $580 million -- in the North Shore's history and the biggest investment in the entire borough since the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in the 1960s.

"The purpose of the event is to have the students educated about the Wheel, its purpose and what it will do for Staten Island. We'll go over the negative and positive points for the Island," said Rosemarie Mangano Cavanagh, president of the South Shore Democratic Club.

"People want information about the Wheel, and this forum will bring it closer to the South Shore," she added.

Keynote speaker at the event will be Councilwoman Debi Rose (D-North Shore), and Chris Williams, owner and head optician of Williams Eye Works in Meiers Corners, will talk about his recent trip to the White House.

The event, which will be an open forum and include several other guest speakers, will be at the The Old Historic Bermuda Inn in Charleston at 7 p.m.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 1:18 PM
New Yorker for life

More renders...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:49 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

Wasn't construction supposed to begin at around this time?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:00 PM
BANNED

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a pipedream. There is a lot of talk but no action.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffybagel View Post
Wasn't construction supposed to begin at around this time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a pipedream. There is a lot of talk but no action.

Yes folks, nothing hear to see, it's all smoke and mirrors.

You guys are ridiculous sometimes.

Quote:
Construction will commence in 2014 and be completed by 2016.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:22 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes folks, nothing hear to see, it's all smoke and mirrors.

You guys are ridiculous sometimes.
You don't have to be snarky, of course I know that it's gonna be built eventually. All I was saying is that I recalled them saying that groundbreaking was supposed to occur in early 2014, presumably around April. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if that was pushed off to mid-2014 instead

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 4:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

looking over those renders its kind of nerve-wracking how right up on the water this is. can it be harmed by storms and flooding? because that is going to happen.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 3:09 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 4:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
From the article:
Quote:
"Why would you put it five miles across the New York Harbor from anything?" Mary Levine said. "You need, really, extreme telephoto lenses to get any kind of good pictures from there."
I think thats the whole idea. The NY Harbor. World famous, and believe me tourists are going to be flocking to this like crazy. If they flock in the masses to go see the Wall Street Bull (and they do because that bull is always packed with tourists), something the likes of the wheel would attract millions. Plus, if the wheel was in Manhattan, it would look silly.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
You don't have to be snarky, of course I know that it's gonna be built eventually. All I was saying is that I recalled them saying that groundbreaking was supposed to occur in early 2014, presumably around April. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if that was pushed off to mid-2014 instead
Snark is required for some on this board. Anyone who has ever followed anything on this forum knows that dates are often moved around, specifically when there is no exact date given. We know that groundbreaking is this year. Beyond that, we don't have an exact date. And I know what's on the website, that's always been there. It's why we provide articles with information regarding the project. Beyond that, you should contact them directly.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf.../post_793.html

Quote:
With groundbreaking planned for fall, the New York Wheel, the world's tallest observation wheel, is expected to be ready for its first spin in 2016, said Rich Marin, president and CEO of New York Wheel.

"This is going to create an opportunity to bring a lot of people to the North Shore of Staten Island," said Marin. Noting the rainy day on Wednesday, Marin said the wheel will have activities for visitors, "every day, rain or shine."
He highlighted the project's green roof, which will allow for concerts and food festivals.

"This will create a venue that we think owns the night; there will be a light show every night. (Tourists) will spend one night in Times Square and on Broadway, and the next night will be spent on Staten Island."

Empire Outlets

Video Link

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Large aerial of the development...

http://www.empireoutletsnyc.com/info...TU=&ciid=62763

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:55 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

from newyorkwheel dot com, which i guess is the official website:

PROJECT SCHEDULE

The Wheel is expected to begin construction in December 2014.

New York Wheel has a target opening date of early 2017.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Bloomberg's influence lives on. 2015 will see so many amazing projects going up. By 2016, the city will be littered in cranes once this, and the other major projects reach full speed and the cranes become noticeable within the skyline.

Although this might not be the tallest if Shenzhen goes ahead with their wheel which is competing for height with this one. They even mentioned the NYC wheel in their promotional article. But, who cares, our hearts are in this city.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 6:30 PM
New Yorker for life

I'll be checking out the Linc/High Roller in Vegas shortly, so this caught my eye...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...sfp=3160509449

New York Wheel gets financial backing from Chinese investors through federal green card program

By Ryan Lavis
July 23, 2014

Quote:
The New York Wheel project slated for Staten Island's North Shore will get some big bucks from foreign investors in China after receiving approval Monday for a federal green-card job program.

The Wheel will rake in a total of $150 million in foreign investment through a popular federal program known as EB-5, project CEO Rich Marin told the Advance Wednesday.

"There's nothing about it that isn't good for us -- this is good news for Staten Island," Marin said. "This is good news for the project. This is good news for everyone."

EB-5 provides temporary visas for affluent foreigners and their families if they invest at least $500,000 in job-creating enterprises. This can eventually lead to them receiving green cards if their investment creates at least 10 permanent jobs within two years.

The $150 million investment in the Wheel project will come from 300 foreigners living in China, each investing $500,000.

"Their capital is being put to work to help create jobs for Americans," Marin said. "These are entrepreneurs who make money in China, who want to move here or want their children to go to school here."

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services oversees the EB-5 program and ultimately decides which projects qualify and which visas are approved, following a lengthy application process.

Marin worked with a regional center under the umbrella of CanAm Enterprises to help raise the EB-5 investments. On its website, the company boasts "more than 25 years of experience in promoting and administering private and government immigration-linked investment funds."

"We hit it off together very well ... they reviewed our project and felt it was perfect for the EB-5 program," Marin said.

Marin traveled to China in March, going to major cities seeking investors.

"We rounded up more than sufficient investors interested in the project," he said.

Staten Island's North Shore was a perfect fit, Marin said, because it met the federal government's policy that requires EB-5 programs to revitalize underdeveloped local economies and promote job creation.

"We decided that EB-5 made sense for us very simply because we have the kind of project that Immigration Services is looking for," Marin explained, adding, "It's about creating jobs with projects, and our project creates a lot of jobs."

In total, the New York Wheel will create 350 construction jobs and 500 permanent, full-time positions.

Marin says he pushed hard for EB-5 approval on his $400 million project, which will bring a 625-foot observation wheel to the waterfront of St. George in roughly two years.

He was "pleasantly surprised" at the quick turnaround.

"The normal approval cycle is 10 to 12 months ... we were hoping for expedited treatment, but there are no assurances," Marin said, noting he applied for approval only about six months ago.

"It's probably not because I'm a handsome guy," he quipped, adding, "It probably has to do with the fact that this is a sound project -- it hits all the right buttons."

Established in 1990, the EB-5 program has grown in recent years, as major companies seek cheaper investment alternatives.

In 2012, Immigration Services approved 3,002 EB-5 applications, up from 1,563 in 2011, according to statistics from the agency. To date, the agency estimates EB-5 has raised $8.6 billion and created at least 57,300 jobs since 1990, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Without EB-5, Marin said, "we would have had to find another source of financing to fill that hole, which would have been much more expensive."

The primary financial backers of the New York Wheel still include Lloyd Goldman, a real estate developer who is involved in the partnership redeveloping the World Trade Center site, and Joseph Nakash, a real estate investor and co-founder of Jordache Enterprises. The third primary investor is The Feil Organization, an investment, development and management firm based in New York City.

"Our equity players have been with us since the start," Marin said. "They are all substantial individuals in their own right and heavily invested in real estate in New York and elsewhere."

The EB-5 investors apply to the project's securing of mezzanine debt, Marin said.

As for Staten Island's observation wheel, Marin said he's confident things will kick off in December.

"We've got a long laundry list of things to do to be ready, but we believe we'll be ready to break real ground in December."

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 7:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Site work to begin on NY Wheel project next month; first spin slated for early 2017

Quote:
After obtaining approvals from the city Buildings Department (DOB) this week for site preparation, the first spin on the NY Wheel is now scheduled for early 2017.

Project CEO Rich Marin initially said the 630-foot observation wheel would open at the end of 2016.

"It's a very complicated process; a lot of things have to happen before construction can begin ... It has to do with the city, the MTA, etc ... It's all these things that need to come together at the same time before construction can commence," said Marin.

"It looks like we won't technically commence construction, which is when we get the shovel in the ground, until January (2015), rather than December (2014). This has to do with technicalities of our whole deal structure," he added.

According to a DOB spokeswoman, there has been a partial approval of the application to construct 820 parking spaces at 155 Richmond Terrace. Before work can start on Oct. 15, the actual permit needs to be obtained from the DOB's borough office, she said.

Site preparation of the temporary parking lot is scheduled to begin around Oct. 15, said Marin.

"We have been meeting with the city about prep work for the temporary parking. Just this week, we received the permit from DOB for the prep work ... Sometimes the best decision is to let things slide a few weeks to get things together the way it should be," he added.
==============================
September 17, 2014
http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind..._ny_wheel.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects