HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 12:00 AM

Dallas' Medical District is red hot with development!

Besides the almost $2.5 billion in new hospital construction currently underway (the new Parkland Hospital, the new University Hospital and the new Proton Treatment Center), hundreds of millions in new luxury residential development has already been built, is underway or starting up very soon.

The new residential will provide housing for the thousands of high-paid medical workers that will be necessary with all of the new major medical facilities opening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

342 Unit Apartment Complex to be built in Dallas' Medical District

By Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News, 12-27-12
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...-the-works.ece

Developers of a successful Oak Cliff apartment project are headed to Dallas’ Medical District for a second deal.

Lang Partners has cleared a 6-acre site at Maple Avenue and Butler Street — just blocks from the new Parkland Memorial Hospital complex.

The property, west of a DART rail station, was previously occupied by a low-rise office complex.

Lang Partners plans to begin construction early next year.

“It will be 342 units and we will start around May,” said development director John Ausburn.

Construction will be finished in late 2014. It is the developer’s second project in Dallas.

Lang Partners built the 5-story Zang Triangle apartments on Zang Boulevard near Colorado Boulevard in Oak Cliff.

The $30 million, 260-unit rental complex is just across the Trinity River from downtown Dallas.

Lang Partners has other apartment developments in Fort Worth and Little Rock, Ark.

The company’s Maple Avenue project is the latest in a series of developments in the area surrounding the Medical District and near Love Field.

Other developers with apartment projects in the area include JLB Partners, Trammell Crow Residential, Trinsic Residential and Encore Multi-Family.

The new Parkland and a second hospital being built by UT Southwestern will employ thousands of workers.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 3:11 AM

Dallas Real Estate Regains Momentum in 2012

The recession is in the rearview mirror, and North Texas real estate developers are moving forward with new deals.

Office and warehouse construction is picking up. Apartment building shows no sign of a slowdown. Even the housing market, which has recovered by fits and starts, has turned the corner in Dallas-Fort Worth.

The combination of solid job growth and an increasing population fueled strong demand for all types of real estate in 2012.

And the outlook for next year is just as sanguine — assuming the folks in Washington don’t put the economy in reverse.

Biggest game changer: Klyde Warren Park

Klyde Warren Park bridged downtown with Uptown and is expected to draw development to the Central Business District
for decades to come. Dallas-area residents have enthusiastically embraced the green space.

Three blocks of bushes, trees and lawns erased the canyon dividing downtown Dallas from Uptown.

And by blurring the line between Dallas’ hottest real estate market and the older central business district, the park over Woodall Rodgers Freeway should be a big boost for downtown’s renaissance.

The public-private sector project will spur real estate development and investment in the area for decades to come.

Biggest turnaround: Victory Park

Developer KDC plans a 23-story office tower (shown in a rendering) in Victory Park, which is finally taking off with apartments and commercial construction.

Since stumbling out of the starting gates, Dallas’ Victory Park project is getting its second wind.

Construction of hundreds of apartments and more office and retail tenants should bring a flood of folks into the development on the northwest corner of downtown.

After years of making headlines because of store closings, foreclosures and loan defaults, Victory Park is set to generate some good news in the year ahead.

Highest sales price: Encana Oil & Gas Tower

The recent sale of the 12-story Encana Oil & Gas tower in West Plano set a record for office building transactions.

The new high-rise sold for $120 million, an eye-popping $376 per square foot — head and shoulders above other recent first-class office sales in North Texas.

Cole Real Estate Investments paid top price for the building because of its
prime tenant and high-profile location on the Dallas North Tollway.

Biggest building boom: New Apartment Construction

Apartment construction boomed throughout 2012.

You’d be wrong if you thought the apartment building binge was running out of gas.

More than 20,000 apartments are under construction in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, more than in any other U.S. market.

And developers show no sign of easing up when it comes to new deals.

Current apartment building totals still come nowhere close to what they were in the 1980s, when more than 45,000 units were completed in just one year.

Greatest market comeback: Home Market

After several false starts, the Dallas-Fort Worth home market took off in 2012 with higher prices and a double-digit increase in sales.

The number of houses on the market in North Texas has fallen to its lowest point in more than a decade.

And home foreclosures are down substantially.

Homebuilders are having a hard time keeping up with demand because of a pinch on building lots and labor.

Brightest addition to skyline: 42 story Museum Tower

This rapier-thin, pearlescent high-rise is one of the most striking additions in decades to the downtown skyline.

The deluxe condo is just the kind of development Arts District planners envisioned when they planned the neighborhood.

But a nasty catfight over reflections cast by the tower has clouded Museum Tower’s impact on the market.

Biggest office tenant: State Farm Insurance

Illinois-based State Farm Insurance has gobbled up enough office space in the Dallas area this year to fill a good-size downtown high-rise.

State Farm leased an entire office building in Richardson, then rented two more in Las Colinas.

Now the insurance giant has signed on to be the anchor office tenant in a $1.5 billion mixed-use project in the Telecom Corridor.

Biggest loss: Downtown’s Thomas Building

Dallas’ grand old Thomas Building was built as a palace for a cotton tycoon.

The 88-year-old building on Wood Street was prized by preservationists for its decorative stone-and-brick exterior and storied past. But after sitting empty for years, the landmark was imploded in November to make more room for parking cars.

Biggest boost for southern Dallas County: Dallas Inland Port boom

After several years of almost no building, North Texas industrial development is surging back with new deals.

And most of them are along the Interstate 20 corridor in southern Dallas County.

Major distribution centers have been announced for Quaker Oats and cosmetics maker L’Oreal Group.

And more projects are pending for companies including automaker BMW.

Greatest potential for 2013: New Office Tower Construction

After a long drought, office developers are poised to crank out new buildings starting next year.

Most of the construction starts will be in Dallas’ Uptown district and along the Dallas North Tollway in Collin County. Less than half of what’s being talked about will probably get built. But with the local economy heating up, prime office space will soon be in short supply in some business districts.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...um-in-2012.ece

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 2:42 AM

24 story high-rise residential tower to be built on Uptown site

The apartment tower proposed for the vacant Uptown site would be about 24 floors. (DMN files)

Developer JLB Partners is moving ahead with plans for an apartment tower to be constructed overlooking Turtle Creek at the edge of Uptown.

The Irving-based apartment developer bought the 2.3-acre site at Carlisle Street and Cedar Springs Road earlier this year.

The property – which is adjacent to the Katy Trail – was previously planned for a St. Regis Hotel. That was before the economy went “poof” and the vacant corner wound up in foreclosure.

JLB Partners has filed plans with the City of Dallas that show a 299-foot tall residential building in the middle of the property. Low-rise construction at the base of the tower would take up most of the site.

The developer is asking for some changes to the parking and landscape requirements in the current zoning for the land.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...ent-site.html/

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 11:44 PM

Developer Craig Hall files permit to build tower
in Downtown Dallas’ Arts District

Developer Craig Hall's 16-story office building is one of two towers planned for the block. (Hall Financial)

By Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News, 01-02-13

Developer Craig Hall has filed a building permit to construct a 16-story office tower in Downtown Dallas’ Arts District.

The 454,500-square-foot high-rise will be built on top of the 7-level underground parking garage across Flora Street from the Meyerson Symphony Center, according to the permit filed with the City of Dallas.

The block where the building is planned is one of the last large empty properties in the Arts District.

Hall has been working on the project for more than a decade. In May, the developer unveiled plans for the 16-story office tower and a future 29-story residential building that would occupy the prime development site.

It is the first multi-tenant office building permit filed Downtown in almost seven years.

Architect HKS Inc. designed the metal and glass tower. And Turner Construction is listed on the building permit as the general contractor.

Hall’s Arts District tower is one of a handful of new office buildings developers are planning in Downtown and Uptown Dallas.

The Hall building is expected to open in late 2014 or early 2015.

He’s owned the Arts District development site since 1995.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...district.html/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:57 AM

Yet another large luxury apartment complex starting construction in the red hot Dallas Medical District just immediately north of Downtown Dallas!

Pay particular note to the article's mention of the $2.5 Billion dollars in development occurring within the Dallas Medical District (no other medical district in Texas is even CLOSE to this type of significant growth).

In addition to that growth is the half billion dollars in the major upgrade and expansion of next-door Dallas Love Field airport that will welcome non-stop nationwide flights from close-in Downtown Dallas to every major city in the nation starting in 2014 (after repeal of the idiotic Wright Amendment!).

The article also mentions the creation of 15,000 new medical jobs in the next two years as a result of the $2.5 billion in new development within the Dallas Medical District.

Nothing short of incredible growth for Dallas, and this is just in one district of the City!

Developers Start Dallas Medical District apartment project in Dallas

By Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News, 01-03-13

Dallas-based developer Encore Multi-Family LLC said Thursday that it has started construction on a 288-unit apartment community near UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

The 4-story rental project is located on Maple Avenue just north of Inwood Road.

Completion of the first units in the development are set for February of next year.

The apartments will rent for $900 to $1,500 per month.

“It is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence to develop apartments within two miles of $2.5 billion in current medical construction projects; the expansion of Parkland Hospital and UT Southwestern is expected to generate 15,000 new jobs over the next two years,” Brad Miller, president of Encore Multi-Family, said in a statement.

“That fact combined with the $500 million Love Field expansion has changed the dynamics of the former industrial neighborhood.”

Construction financing for the project was provided by Whitney Bank of New Orleans.

Encore Multi-Family is a subsidiary of Encore Enterprises Inc. and has been in business since 2008.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...n-dallas.html/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:15 AM

DFW is on fire.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Beautiful - what a great project for Dallas! I wish some other cities were able to pull off projects like this. Kudos Big D!
I don't know why this country is so obsessed with getting such big inner city parks. I'm thinking of those more intimate, cozy, pedestrian-filled Plaza's de Arma's in Latin America I've spent so much time in when traveling there. So human scale!

But you can't stop progress!

I just can't put my finger on it, but there a good deal of the architecture in Dallas I deem strangely quirky, very hard to put into words! Maybe it's just my taste in architecture, nothing more. Even the Museum Tower! That glass skin on the two sides, how it curves outward in the middle and narrows at the top and bottoms. What were they trying to prove!!!

And the tallest box-like tower in Dallas, even lit up at night, well I better quit before proud Dallasites throw rebar at me!!

Last edited by IMBY; Jan 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I don't know why this country is so obsessed with getting such big inner city parks. I'm thinking of those more intimate, cozy, pedestrian-filled Plaza's de Arma's in Latin America I've spent so much time in when traveling there. So human scale!

I just can't put my finger on it, but there a good deal of the architecture in Dallas I deem strangely quirky, very hard to put into words! Maybe it's just my taste in architecture, nothing more. Even the Museum Tower! That glass skin on the two sides, how it curves outward in the middle and narrows at the top and bottoms. What were they trying to prove!!!

And the tallest box-like tower in Dallas, even lit up at night, well I better quit before proud Dallasites throw rebar at me!!
Hehe, a Las Vegan complaining about quirky architecture.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post

As for the park, Dallasites are excited to see a large crowd downtown that is not during a parade-something rare when I was a kid in the 90's. It is also just well placed, and reminded my Russian friends and I of the boulevard parks in Moscow that allow you to walk between different theaters, museums, stores and cafes. We started at the Perot, lunched in the park, then walked to the Nasher.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 6:25 PM

Kyle Warren is not actually a big park. Rather, it has BIG practical and psychological impact in the way that it serves to unite a CBD and Uptown that were severed by a freeway.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 10:34 PM
Meh

That's a nice looking tower up there. I like those overhanging balconies and the roof. It really ties it together.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 12:21 AM
Ex Houstonian

That park you guys built over the freeway is absolutely brilliant. Theres a place in Houston where they could do that in between Montrose and Rice Village 59 dips below grade for about 7 blocks. But Dallas seems more progressive than Houston does at the moment with reinvigorating the downtown.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
That park you guys built over the freeway is absolutely brilliant. Theres a place in Houston where they could do that in between Montrose and Rice Village 59 dips below grade for about 7 blocks. But Dallas seems more progressive than Houston does at the moment with reinvigorating the downtown.
^^^^^^^
The deck park is going to fuel major growth on both the traditional Downtown Dallas CBD side as well as Uptown for years, if not decades, to come. The same thing could be done on the southern edge of Dallas' CBD between it and the Cedars/Southside. There is already significant growth occurring in the Cedars/Southside area immediately on the other side of I-30 but if a future deck park linked it seamlessly with the rest of Downtown it would set off major growth.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:25 AM

New Housing Boom on Ross Avenue leading into Downtown Dallas

The new Icon at Ross apartments are the first of hundreds of new rental units planned for the street. (Kye R. Lee/The Dallas Morning News)

By Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News, 01-04-13

Developers who are heading up Ross Avenue with new apartment projects are following a trail blazed more than a century ago.

The street running from Downtown to East Dallas was built in the late 1860s and named for brothers Andrew and William Ross, two Civil War veterans who had a farm in the area.

By the late 1800s Ross Avenue had developed into a silk stocking district of grand mansions for Dallas business leaders.

Only a couple of those fine old houses remain: Col. A. H. Belo’s home at Ross and Pearl Street and the C.H. Alexander mansion at Ross and Annex Street.

A vintage post card shows what Ross Avenue looked like in the early 20th century.

Ross Avenue’s rein as one of Dallas’ elite residential streets didn’t last long before wealthy residents began to migrate to the ‘burbs. Back then that meant Oak Lawn and then Highland Park.

By the 1930s, Ross had started to transform into a mixed commercial district with auto dealers, motels and other businesses.

The street became a busy commuter route for residents living in new neighborhoods springing up in East Dallas. It was just a short streetcar ride from downtown to the Belmont neighborhood and Greenland Hills (now known as the M-Streets).

Following World War II Ross Avenue morphed into used car row with dozens of independent dealers who promised to “tote the note.”

The most famous of these was Gene Goss – known as the mayor of Ross Avenue with this “Goss on Ross the Tradin’ Hoss” signs.

In the late 1970s when Dallas city leaders began looking for a location for a new Arts District, Ross Avenue was a natural choice because of its proximity to Downtown. (They picked the area north of Ross after considering another location on Cedar Springs in Uptown.)

Big car dealers such as Lone Star Cadillac and Bankston Oldsmobile near Ross and Pearl were gone by the late 1980s. The land where the Meyerson Symphony Center now stands was occupied by a Borden’s milk dairy.

Construction of the Arts District has turned Ross back into a desirable Dallas address.

And developers are capitalizing on the trend with construction of the Icon at Ross Apartments, new retail and other planned developments.

One of the old buildings that’s likely to be coming down to make way for apartments is the red brick chapel on Ross near McCoy Street.

The little building was consructed in 1929 to house the Brewer Funeral Chapel, which occupied the property until at least the 1960s.

Article: http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...ric-path.html/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:00 AM

Uptown Dallas Whole Foods/Gables Apartments & Townhomes

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:12 AM

Dallas shopping center market sees big gains in leasing in 2012

By Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News, 01-09-13
http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...-in-2012.html/

The Dallas-Fort Worth shopping center market had the best year in 2012 since the recession started.

Net leasing to expanding and relocating retailers totaled 3.8 million square feet in North Texas last year – the highest leasing total since 2004.

And vacancy rates dropped to just over 10 percent.

“This is the biggest turnaround we’ve had in years,” Herbert Weitzman, chairman of Dallas-based retail real estate firm Weitzman Group, said Wednesday morning at the firm’s annual economic meeting.

While demand from retailers boomed last year, developers were still for the most part on the sidelines.

Less than 1.2 million square feet of new space – most of it in just four shopping centers – was added to the D-FW retail market in 2012.

Shopping center completions last year were at the lowest level since the early 1990s.

“Construction is at a near halt,” Weitzman said. “This means retailers are going to existing shops.”

And the outlook for this year isn’t a whole lot more retail construction.

“We have a window of opportunity to fill up our existing centers before the next wave of construction,” Weitzman said.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 3:40 PM

Irving, Texas wants iconic bridge

Quote:
The Texas Department of Transportation has control of the old Texas Stadium site through 2019, and as you’ll note in the video above, which was posted by the city of Irving on Monday, the LBJ Express-ers are currently using the spot to fabricate beams for IH-635′s extreme makeover. That, more or less, was the point of the video: to show off how the would-be, could-be, maybe-one-day Crossroads DFW site (or whatever) is being used now.

But that wasn’t enough for Irving’s chief development officer, Doug Janeway, who amped up the presentation by opening it with a sneak peek at the new-look bridge over StateHighway 114 — an “iconic” and partially enclosed drive-n-walk-way intended to mimic the former home of the Dallas Cowboys. Which is the decided highlight of this short film.

“This is a conceptual view, so the design has not been done,” Janeway tells The News. In other words: Don’t get too excited. Not just yet.

Says Janeway, the bridge will be part of TxDOT’s Diamond Interchange do-over impacting state highways 114 and 183, Loop 12 and Spur 482. TxDOT, he says, already has the bridge on its to-do list, and the Texas Stadium-ing of the overpass “will be a modification to TxDOT’s base bridge design.” And that enclosure, he says, would be done with “translucent material,” but not Plexiglass.
http://transportationblog.dallasnews...hway-114.html/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 3:45 PM

More apartments in the works for Dallas’ Knox Street neighborhood

Quote:
Mill Creek Residential Trust is working with Sarofim Realty Advisors to build a 208-unit apartment building on Central Expressway north of Knox Street.

Dallas-based apartment builder Mill Creek Residential Trust is teaming up with the largest property owner in Dallas’ Knox Street district to build a rental community.
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...ighborhood.ece

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:07 PM

New I-30 bridge rendering:

From the Dallas Observer

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa.../mhhupdate.jpg

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 3:06 AM

Here is an update on the Sundance Plaza project in Downtown Fort Worth from Brian Luenser.

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com...c=4810&&page=7

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations