HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My impression is that the single yellow line is on a two-lane road where passing is never going to be allowed, whereas the double yellow line means that passing is allowed on the road, but just not in the zone where you happen to be. But that passing will be allowed (indicated by a dashed yellow line on your side) sometime relatively soon.
Just to complicate this, I've driven on plenty of highways with a single yellow line that allows passing in one, or both directions at certain places. It would make sense to have a double yellow where one side turns into dashed, but the second line just sort of appears when a dashed line is needed.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:38 AM

horton, heres a poo! lol best comment ever

Woman Furiously Shits On Floor Of Tim Hortons, Throws It At Employees

Samer Kalaf

liveleak

A woman in Canada was so incensed about something Tim Hortons employees did or didn’t do that she dropped her pants, took a dump on the floor, threw it, grabbed some napkins to wipe her ass, threw those too, and left.

There is no pixelation in this sped-up LiveLeak video. You are going to see everything that this woman, full of rage and previously turds, does to forever sully the floor of this Tim Hortons located in Langley, British Columbia:

see the video: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/wo...s-i-1826082960

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:41 PM

^ wtf!!!!!!!

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, if any of you are drag fans...

Alyssa Edwards is performing in St. John's tonight. Straight from Drag Con in Los Angeles.

Video Link

Ben Delacreme is coming soon, so is Shangela. We've already had Manila Luzon, Bianca del Rio (a couple of days before she won Ru Paul's Drag Race), Detox, Tatianna, and more. Our promoters are doing a fantastic job. The queens almost always end up adding second and third shows while here because sales are so good - and we've gotten a reputation as a place that tips exceptionally well. I'm so thrilled. I still can't believe I don't have to go to NYC or TO to see these people.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 17, 2018 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 12:07 AM
Identity Condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Yes, the double yellow line literally means that you can't pass slower traffic by moving into the oncoming lane. Dashed lines on the right mean that you can. Ontario must be confusing to drive in.
In Ontario, that sentence is true, just replace the word "can't" with the word "shouldn't". It's more like we've simply decriminalized the behaviour.

Dashed lines to the right of a solid line means passing is safe and allowed, and dashed lines to the left of a solid line mean passing is unsafe but it's not illegal to do so, because traffic coming toward you is more likely to pass in this area. Our highways usually alternate the two, and use double lines only on corners or hills.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
In Ontario, that sentence is true, just replace the word "can't" with the word "shouldn't". It's more like we've simply decriminalized the behaviour.

Dashed lines to the right of a solid line means passing is safe and allowed, and dashed lines to the left of a solid line mean passing is unsafe but it's not illegal to do so, because traffic coming toward you is more likely to pass in this area. Our highways usually alternate the two, and use double lines only on corners or hills.
Then "can't" should be replaced my other words, like "may not", since of course you "can" break the law if you want, but you really "shouldn't". However, it really sounds like the law is nuanced differently then.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:37 AM
Identity Condiment

It's just not a punishable offense is all. Unless there is oncoming traffic, thick fog or it's on a curve, in which case you're engaging in a violation called "reckless driving", not "passing a double yellow line".

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:41 AM

So, potentially criminal behavior is somewhat subjective.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:53 AM
Identity Condiment

I guess you can interpret it that way?

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:26 AM

pizza question. I've always had pizza like this with some colour on top, like a nice golden brown i guess.

like this

Do people form the maritimes prefer to have the pizza be white?

more like this

I Work with 2 people from the maritimes and they always cook the pizza so it comes out white, whereas I always cook it to go brown and they think its not right lol

Just a weird observation perhaps.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:02 PM

Maritimer here, and I prefer the browned cheese. I don't think I've ever really seen properly prepared pizza that white. (Lasagna has to be done the same way; not done till the cheese is brown)

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:16 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
So, potentially criminal behavior is somewhat subjective.
Highway traffic rule violations are generally not "criminal" in nature.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 2:32 AM
Identity Condiment

Why the east coasters selling raw pizza???????

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Maritimer here, and I prefer the browned cheese. I don't think I've ever really seen properly prepared pizza that white. (Lasagna has to be done the same way; not done till the cheese is brown)
ok, I don't know why these 2 people like it so white. But the one guy would say the first pizza pic was overdone

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 1:31 PM

Throw that white pizza back in the oven, it's not done yet.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 1:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd eat either tbh.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:15 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Someone on another forum pointed out this article by Russell Smith of the Globe and Mail. It's an interesting piece on Quebec's literary scene. Smith's opinion is that the literary scene in the rest of Canada is barely visible and kind of dour for its emphasis on "Canadian literature as atonement for past (collective) sins". According to him, the literary scene in Quebec is highly visible and fun, in contrast, and is free of the atonement-syndrome of Anglo-Canada. Pretty good eye for an "outsider".

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...n-the-rest-of/

As I've mentioned before on here my kids go to the Salon du livre de l'Outaouais every year with groups of friends, and scout out which authors they want to hit up for book signings. And contrary to how it's been dismissed by some on SSP Canada it isn't just a niche thing for my kids and their upper-crust friends: my wife and I go there too every year and it's obviously full of groups of pre-teens and teens checking out books and other cultural stuff.

Here is a video from the one in Montreal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2mXoSReZg

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:27 PM

The very thought of literature as something that would ever get teenagers that excited is just weird to me.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:31 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The very thought of literature as something that would ever get teenagers that excited is just weird to me.
Not saying all kids are like this, but just to give you an idea...

One year we were about to go on a family trip around Salon time - it is always around the same time as our February-March school break week.

My kids made a huge fuss that because of the trip they wouldn't be going to the Salon that year, and my wife (and I, I guess ) actually give in and let them go for a couple of hours in the morning just before we drove to the airport. All our luggage was in the car.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:43 PM

I'd be hard-pressed to name any contemporary Canadian French language literary figure. My awareness sort of peters out after Marie-Claire Blais and Michel Tremblay (both more "modern" than "contemporary", istm). I guess Dany Laferrière would be one exception, although I've not read him. I hadn't realized that Antonine Maillet was still living.

I suspect that the above paragraph would put me somewhere in the top quarter, in terms of Anglo-Canadian awareness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada